Windows Vista vista cd drive

Reaction score
[font=arial,sans-serif] iv tried to install my internet cd on my packard bell laptop and its not running the cd. the light on the drive comes on and the fans inside kick in but the nothing happens. if i go into start/computer it only shows that there is a hdd no cd drive is shown. its the same in device manager if i look under drive it only shows hdd. i have tried loads of different cd/dvds none work. any ideas

thank you
[/font]

Reaction score
noney82 said:
[font=arial,sans-serif] iv tried to install my internet cd on my packard bell laptop and its not running the cd. the light on the drive comes on and the fans inside kick in but the nothing happens. if i go into start/computer it only shows that there is a hdd no cd drive is shown. its the same in device manager if i look under drive it only shows hdd. i have tried loads of different cd/dvds none work. any ideas

thank you
[/font]

Try trouble shooting the cd drive..In device manager do you see the image I have attatched..??

Attachments

• pcr.PNG
    pcr.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 180
Reaction score
hi madxgraphics no that icon isnt there. iv only just bought it off ebay. that hard drive is 66.7g and its saying there is 49.1g free seems like there is alot of space taken and the guy said he has just formated it

Reaction score
noney82 said:
hi madxgraphics no that icon isnt there. iv only just bought it off ebay. that hard drive is 66.7g and its saying there is 49.1g free seems like there is alot of space taken and the guy said he has just formated it

Has the CD Drive ever worked..? If not, did you get it knowing it didn't work..? I would send it back if I were you
17 gig of used space does seem a lot..What programs are installed on the computer..?

Reaction score
he showed me the laptop working but i never checked the cd drive. it seems to work tho well ish, the green light comes on and the fans kick in but then nothing. as far as i can tell its meant to be just a clean install of vista. its also saying there is 60 important updates need installing but i cant as i cant connect to the net. there is 590 mb in program files

Reaction score
Hello,

I would say that there is a good chance that the disk drive is dead or is dieing. Please try this below it gives you information how on to resaet your disk drive. If this does not work then you need to buy a new disk drive and there are very cheap to buy and are easy to install. But if its under warrantry then send it back.

http://forum.novatech.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20791

I have had this issue with my laptop a while ago and it turned out to be the disk drive got it replaced and its all fine now. I would look in your ccomputer manual as to how to take it out becasue the guide that I gave you is from another brand of pc and it make be diffrent.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
thank you wizkid got the drive working just pulled the drive out and put back in and its ok now. now my next problem is that i have tried to install my net now but it get an error. it says my pc has no ethernet card but when i got into device manager there is one there and i have the port on the side of the pc for the ethernet cable to plug into. my net is virgin broadband

Reaction score
noney82 said:
thank you wizkid got the drive working just pulled the drive out and put back in and its ok now. now my next problem is that i have tried to install my net now but it get an error. it says my pc has no ethernet card but when i got into device manager there is one there and i have the port on the side of the pc for the ethernet cable to plug into. my net is virgin broadband

No worries I am glad its working now. If it stops working then, you need to get another drive.

With regards to your internet problem, can you plug the ethernet cable from your pc to your router does that work? Usually ethernet does not require any software. Also you could manully create the connection through control panel network connections, then click add connection and see if that works.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
cheers wizkid. its a problem with the laptop, it wont even connect wirelessly to anything. the os has been up graded for xp to vista and iv only just worked it out, its not been done right as it still says i can load xp up as well

Reaction score
noney82 said:
cheers wizkid. its a problem with the laptop, it wont even connect wirelessly to anything. the os has been up graded for xp to vista and iv only just worked it out, its not been done right as it still says i can load xp up as well

Have you made sure that you are using Vista drivers. Was this a clean install of vista from the boot cd? or was it first done through xp? sounds like xp is still on the boot order to be loaded up. I will do some looking around becasue I know there are programs out there to correct that problem.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
when i load the laptop up it says load earlier version or load vista. i was told it was a clean install of vista. i noticed that also there is 49g free on the hdd its a 70g hdd so 21g is taken up and there is only meant to be vista on the laptop

Reaction score
noney82 said:
when i load the laptop up it says load earlier version or load vista. i was told it was a clean install of vista. i noticed that also there is 49g free on the hdd its a 70g hdd so 21g is taken up and there is only meant to be vista on the laptop

That sounds about right to me, what verison of vista is it? Have you tried to load the other verison of windows to see if the computer will boot into it?

Reaction score
well i got money back from him. so i went and bought a new one from comet. how do i get the codec to play films via media player.

Ask a Question