Windows XP can not read install cd/dvds, data disk OK

Reaction score
I have an intresting for you.
I have a dell e5410 with win xp installed.
It will not read any cd or dvds that are installation media. In my computer total size and free space shows up as 0 bytes for both.

This problem just occured, not sure when it started, but I used to be able to do this with no problems.

If I put a data cd or dvd into the drive it reads OK.

I uninstalled the drivers and re-installed, still the same.

I tried to run Mr. FixIt from microsoft, it would not run, had a run time error(only error message).

Any Ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ALL "finalized" CDs/DVDs will show 0 (zero) space available no matter what is written on them, this is normal. :)

Welcome to PCReview.

:user:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Did you try to access these disks via My Computer?
What happens when you try to open the drive from My Computer?
Are these copied discs?

A bit more information could reveal something obvious.

Reaction score
I could not open or browse any (with <My Computer>) cd that had installtion files on them, either cd or dvd. But if I put a data disk in the drive I could open the cd /dvd and view the disk contents with no problems.

For data disk, it would show the total size of the disk.
For program installation disk it would show the size of the disk as zero bytes.

I replaced the drive, no change in the problem.

I tried the installation disk in another computer, I could read the disk and browse with no problems.

The machine has win xp sp3.

and roxio cd creator, I check the reg using regedt32, and was looking for lower/upper filter issue. This issue was not present.

Also only the data cd/dvd were copied or burned, the installation media was from software suppliers, and is there factory supplied installation media.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
any other users on the machine? Try creating another user, either limited or administrator (preferably admin) and see if that works.

You could boot to safe mode Windows and try that. Restart and keep pressing F8 key until you get the boot menu, arrow to safe mode, enter. that could isolate software that is installed or a service that could be causing an issue.

Perhaps it is a virus. A virus could disable executables or auto run discs that could be used to install antivirus software. It would allow access to data discs in the hope that it could be copied to the disc and be spread. Boot to safe mode Windows and check for virus.

Reaction score
I logged in as another user/ Admin. same issue.
Will try safe mode and look for viruis, Will let you now tomorrow what I found.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Sorry, its been a long time since I posted my results.

I tried to boot up in safe mode, my IT dept. password protected, and will not let me log in.

I have been doing a work around by copying files on another machine to a usb mem stick, but it is a pain.

The IT guy is threating with a re-image.......not what I want! I would like to find out what is causing this problem, so when I reload all of my software on I don't have the same problem again.

Any thoughts?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Without Safe Mode access, it will be very difficult to troubleshoot. If you have a company IT department....Go with it. Their department, their rules.

Reaction score
We just went through a wholesale machine upgrade/ company wide new builds.

Unforunitely my IT dept is un-responsive, much of the software I use, it is up to me to install/trouble shoot etc.

I guess I just will nee to use the workaround, for now

But if any one else has had this issue, would appreacite any feedback on a solution.

Thanks

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The fastest way to test if a drive is reading a data disc is to use a boot CD. You can use anything really. Windows Installation CD, Universal Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) or Memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). I recommend the Ultimate boot disc for test as this should boot without prompt if your BIOS is configured to boot to CD.

If the system will not boot to a CD, then check the BIOS. You usually can access it via F2 for Dell (I believe. Just watch the screen and it should tell you). The common BIOS access keys are F2, F1(with error) and the DEL key. There should be a top category for BOOT. Check to see that the first boot device is the optical drive. It should have an identifier indicating which is which. If it is a hard drive you may see WD(western digital) and some numbers. Chances are it is a Toshiba or Samsung drive. The optical drive should have something with CD or DVD in the identification.

If you have configured your BIOS to boot from CD and you are prompted and the system does not boot to the disc, then you have a bad drive. This test will eliminate the Windows aspect of the system and only uses BIOS information to boot. There is a chance that your BIOS has failed, but that is unusual and would cause more of a failure than just the optical drive failure.

If you cannot access the BIOS due to IT password, then you have to get the info from your IT department.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My IT guy gave me a boot CD disk, it boots up fine.

He also gave me a cd with Malwarebytes', The scan should the following:
Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

it did not find anything else,

My cd /dvd drive still will not read installation media.

any other idea's

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Malwarebytes deleted part of MSE as bad?

Colour me confused :confused:

Sibling rivalry? ;)

Unless, of course, the 'Microsoft' registry entries quarantined and deleted weren't from Microsoft at all but rather a rogue application.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Those three are just settings that you changed in Windows Security Centre to disable it from notifying that the following are disabled...

Antivirus
Firewall
Updates

Not sure why it flagged them though...

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
CD boot works fine, hardware works. You need to scan that Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, otherwise, you may as well not do it at all.

We now come back to your IT department. If they will not give you the admin password for Safe Mode, then you're done. You have one option. If you are a local admin on your machine, then you can change the password used for the local administrator. Otherwise, you're done.

Reaction score
I should said before I ran Malewarebytes' I ran rkill, rkill was suppose to kill any processes associated with virus.

Then I ran malewarebytes with the results mentioned previously.

It looks like I can alter the admin pw.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I am familiar with rkill. If you do not run rkill in Safe Mode, you are not accomplishing anything. I have seen many situations where there is still infection or running applications when attempting a scan in normal mode.

you need safe mode to properly remove a viral infection.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I just ran across this issue today. The issue is malware related. The registry keys that were disabled, I believe, were wactually changed by the malware to allow links to be run from that notification. It also installed some application in my windows/drivers folder. I had to get to Safe Mode and run Rkill to allow Malwarebytes to find the infection. It is a bot for running applications. It hid all of my folders on my profile for that machine. I am in process of cleaning the system now and will update information as I get it.

For now, it found three registry keys, a hijacker for taskmanager and the drivers file. The driver file appeared to be just random numbers for a file name.

You can only remove this in Safe Mode, so if you cannot get there, you're done. It even killed my main monitor out of a multi monitor set so I could not see the start button, bar or main desktop shortcuts.

I hope to have a name for it soon. Until then, Rkill and Malwarebytes.

*edit: I got the infection from a drive by of a site selling apple components. My browser blocked pop ups and active X controls for the site, but it still got in. MS Security Essentials found it, but after the infection had occurred. Norton didn't do anything. I'm fairly certain that McAffee won't either.

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
As soon as I restarted in normal mode, the system started a Windows Security box that obviously was not Windows Security. This runs on startup of the machine when the user logs in. In the notification tray, a big red circle with a white X in it as well as the shield for Windows Security. The system started some sort of scan that does not appear to be anything related to Windows Secuirty. The colors are slightly off. The details of the box indicate something similar to the AVG 2011 or AV 2010 or AV 2009 boxes.

I am pulling the drive and scanning it in another machine. Updates to come.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK got my IT guys to do a scan in safe mode.

Ran rkill

It found and stoped process C;\windows\system32\verclsid.exe

did a dir on that file, file size is 28672 bytes
and version is 5.1.2600.5512
CPSP.080413-2105

Then did some research on the web an found that the file size is OK.

Next ran MaleWareBytes that is up to date as of yesterday. It found nothing.

Rebooted my machine, orginial problem still exist, can not read DVD/CD that have installation programs, reads data DVD/CD ok.

I thought about writting a copy of the registory and runing some type of compare, maybe using dos comp command, any thoughts on this one?

Any other Idea's?

Thanks in advanced.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If possible, try an alternative optical disk.

They're cheap, they are the most common unit to fail in a PC and it never hurts to have two (one DVD Drive and one DVDRW) or a spare.

Probably not likely in this instance but it wouldn't hurt to eliminate one possibility.

Ask a Question