Video conference vs. Webcam conversation

Martin Snelgrove

I am attempting to set up a system at home to use for video
conferencing with my family in the UK.
My home network is behind a Linksys router (BEFSR81) on which I have
enabled UPnP but have not configured individual ports or adjusted QoS
settings.
My parents have a single PC directly connected to an ADSL line.
Both machines have WinXP Home and MSN Messenger 6 installed (latest
versions of s/w and drivers with all updates/patches applied).
I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 and they have an older Intel
webcam.

Using MSN Messenger 6 in various scenarios:
1. Transfering files works fine.
2. Establishing two webcam conversations and adding audio works with
good image quality but the frame rate is very poor.
3. Attempting to establish a video conference from either end results
in my being able to see them but they cannot see me (I also do not see
my picture locally).

Any ideas why 2 would work but 3 does not? The fact that I can get
working video in one direction suggests it may not be a networking
issue but what might I try to track down the problem?

Btw if I am asking this in the wrong newsgroup, my apologies and i
would appreciate pointers to the right place to ask.
Thanks for any help.
Martin.

Lucky One

Hi Martin
With video conference is a direct connection between to computers
with webcam the video may be a direct connection
or it may be by the sever if a direct connection can not be established
it sounds like yours is going through the sever hence poor frame rate
this is why some people can do video but not sound as sound is a direct
connection to
have you tried video conference with out the router as this well help
diagnose your problem?

These are the setting I use with my linksys BEFW11S4
router I do not use a firewall
other than the router you must have latest firmware,
you must have UPnP Enable on the router to get the Internet Gateway to
appear in view network connections
And the router to appear in My Network Places
UPnP Enable/Disable radio button in on the password tab in the router
setting,

I have found that with lisksys routers is that you must a have universal
plug and play installed as well internet gateway device discovery and
control client, go to control panel, add or remove programs, windows
components, networking services, click on details and install
if they are already installed in control panel go to, administrative tools,
services, and look for universal plug and play device, and see if it started
if it is set to start automatic change to manual right click on it go
properties startup type and from drop down box select manual and do the same
for SSDP Discovery service you may have to reboot after reboot you should
see your router in my network places and in view network connections you
will see internet gateway if this fails to work try uninstalling and
reinstalling universal plug and play and internet gateway device discovery

Post back and let me know how you get on

Martin Snelgrove

Finally got a chance to test this today and everything worked perfectly.
Thanks for the assistance, you helped make the grandparents very happy!
Martin.

Lucky One

Hi Martin

Glad I could help=)