vhs to computer then onto dvd

Reaction score
right for the past week ive been transfering old family videos from vhs and video 8 tapes, onto my computer, ive been using Nero 7 capturing program nice and simple nothin to fancy, i finally decided to record the video footage in a dvd format template option instead of svcd, nero digital, avi and mpeg-2,, as i found that some of the other "templates" were creating larger files sizes than i liked. i record the the footage and was fairly pleased with the quality(im not expecting it to be dvd quality even tho im recording it in "DVD") anyway once ive recorded it ive looked at the files and they r saved as mpeg files, is that right ?

i decided to put one video file onto a dvd so i did all the useal nero stuff, ie encoded it. once it was converted i viewed the results and it looked the same as the orginal footage, but when i put it into my dvd player the picture is all shakey, and more pixalated, im guessing the pixaling is down to my wide screen tv, tho i have changed the picutre size to a 4:3 size and that didnt do anything.

i have loads more footage to put onto dvd but dont wont to do it yet untill, i have some sort of reason to the problem.

let me no what u think, if u need more info just ask, ill be online most of the night

many thanks inadvances

leow :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what resolution are you encoding at 720x576 ? can you manually adjust the 'bit rate' ? also what do you mean by 'shakey' ?

Reaction score
im capturing the video footage in pal mode aspect 4:3 resoultion 720x576 (ccir-601 d1) and then ins stereo

in a video decives propeties option ive got it set a YUY2 output resolution 640x480 and frame rate 25.00.

the bit rate option i am unable to change, doesnt let me click it.

Shakey - when the camera moves the picture is laggy, not sure thats the right explanation, not sure how to describe it. have a read of what ive posted and let me know

:)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i assume your using Nero Vision to capture the video ? i dunno if this is gonan be any better but i guess its worth a shot

use the MPEG-2 capturing template, choose your capturing device and adjust the settings to the following

video mode should be in PAL
Aspect ratio to 4:3
Size (X/Y) to 720x576
Video Quality, move the slider along so the value on the right is over 2000
sample format should be progressive
audio format in stereo

just try it on about 5 mins of footage to see if its any better

Reaction score
i havent had chance to try them settings yet, but ive just watching the dvd i burnt again, and the shakeness is cuz it pixelating alot when the camera is moved, or thats what i think now, ive ran the dvd on my computer and u dont notice as much, as on the tv

do u think changing to mpeg 2 will stop it pixelating more ?

im going to have a go capturing using the mpeg 2 format and burn that and see what that looks like

Reaction score
right ive tryed capturing the footage using the mpeg-2 template, and its fine when i view it on the computer, but once ive converted it and burn to dvd and play it on my dvd player, its better in terms that it doesnt pixelate, but its very liney around the moving person or objects, not really any better.

ive been looking at capturing the footage to avi format but 1min takes up 1gb and i dont have the room on my hard drive to do that, had a little go a using the different compression formats but, its either looses frames or its not in colour

let me no if u have any ideas

leow

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
just our of interest what are you using to convert it to DVD ? it could be the conversion that is causing the problems

Reaction score
im using nero 7 and the nero vision 4 to convert the video files to a dvd format

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been following this thread and ME__2001 has given some good advice and I must admit I can't figure out what the problem is.

I've converted quite a bit of VHS footage to DVD using Pinnacle Studio 9 and Nero OEM 6.0 with video plug-in.

I'm using a system based around a socket A XP3200 2.2Ghz CPU, 1 Gb PC3200 RAM and an Nvidia 256Mb 6800GT vid card. And some fairly big hard disks (2 x 120Gb and 1 x 320Gb).

Even with that setup, my system labours when encoding sometimes.

So I'm wondering what your system specs are leow?

Could you give us some details of your setup?

The very minimum processor speed for encoding video is 1.6Ghz, just to give an example.

Reaction score
socket A XP3200 2.2Ghz CPU, 1 Gb PC3200 RAM and an PNY 128Mb 6600GT video card, capturing card is winfast 2000xp hard drive 80Gb

i do appeciate ur help

ive been googleing a bit and reading up about the whole process, and, i think ive capturing the footage ok, cuz the footage is ok on the computer, its the encoding it to put onto a dvd i think is the prob, I THINK

Reaction score
ive been thinking at work today about what i said about encoding the videos to a dvd. in my video settings for nero vision i have

quality set as standard play
sample format automatic
bit rate 5073kbits
resoultion 720x576 (ccir-601D1)
encoding mode fast encoding (1-pass)
aspect ratio automatic
audio format automatic

im thinking maybe if i change encoding mode to High Quality (2-VBR) it may help what do u think ?

Reaction score
right ive just encoded using the 2-vbr, and its better with minor movement but its still bad when the camera moves fast, i think the only thing i can do now is if i capture the video footage in an avi format, cuz from what ive read u r meant to get a high quality picutre doing that, but the big probably is it takes loads of hard drive space, and ive only got about 50gig to play with, i have been looking at getting a 500gb sata 2 hard drive

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124228/rb/25891010231

i have this hard drive atm
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/23275/rb/25891153891

is the sata drives replacing the IDE drives now ?

Reaction score
right update if anyone is still listening

ive just captured 5 mins of video footage as a AVI file, and enocded it and burnt to dvd and played it on my dvd player and its sort out my problem, no shakeyness, so thats the only way im going to be able to sort the problem out i guess. i need a new hard drive so i can store these very large files would u recommend going over to a sata 2 hard drive ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
leow said:
right update if anyone is still listening

Yep, still listening :D

would u recommend going over to a sata 2 hard drive ?

Very much so.

Just add it as a secondary drive and use it for storage.

Even though the Bios will recognise the new SATA drive, Windows may not. In which case go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and format it from there.

You may wish to use the new drive as the primary drive and there will be an improvement in performance but weighing up all the agro of a fresh install against the performance gain, it's negligible and I wouldn't bother for now.

And yes, IDE, or PATA, drives are old technology now, although they're still available.

Reaction score
ok cool thanks for the info

just a few things to ask, i would profer to take out the old hard drive, im a bit fussy and like to have just one hard drive,like to keep as much room inside as pos, plus all that heat, but then formatting the new sata 2 hard drive in windows would be easier than doing it in dos, so when i come to install windows on the sata 2 hard drive it would be easier, or am i just talking rubbish

can i run a sata 2 drive at the same time as a ide drive, no problems should come up ?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you dont format the drive in DOS, its all done during the installation process

you can run SATA and IDE drives simultaneously no problem, i have 2 SATA and an IDE at the moment and they are fine

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
leow said:
ok cool thanks for the info

just a few things to ask, i would profer to take out the old hard drive, im a bit fussy and like to have just one hard drive,like to keep as much room inside as pos, plus all that heat, but then formatting the new sata 2 hard drive in windows would be easier than doing it in dos, so when i come to install windows on the sata 2 hard drive it would be easier, or am i just talking rubbish

can i run a sata 2 drive at the same time as a ide drive, no problems should come up ?

You're talking rubbish :)

Some people are weird, to be sure.....

Reaction score
hi again i recieved my new hard drive yesterday and installed it with my old one aswell :) had the prob with windows no reconising it, but did what u said, and is up operational.

going back to my video capturing problem, I THINK ive finally sort out what im going to do and use, im going to use nero 7 vision 4, and capture using AVI but with a huffyuv 2.1.1 compression thing :),in the preview screen the footage is jurcky but once encoded and burn to dvd its fine. a little note for anyone who has a problem like mine in the future

Ask a Question