> How to rip a DVD to avi for editing

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I recently recorded a wedding on a camcorder, and I'd like to edit the footage.
In order to do this I need to be able to rip the footage from a DVD (My PC has no video input, so I had to record the footage to a DVD from the camcorder via a standalone DVD recorder).

So now, how (ie what is the best program to use) do I rip the footage from the DVD to a editable file(s) on my computer.

I'm not sure which type of file will be best, but I am planning to use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, so I presume a avi of MPEG file will be OK (any more advice here would be very much appreciated).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reaction score
You don't need a Video input to be honest, a DV camcorder passes footage to the computer via the use of Firewire cable.

Does your PC/Camcorder have this port?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
cImrie said:
You don't need a Video input to be honest, a DV camcorder passes footage to the computer via the use of Firewire cable.

Does your PC/Camcorder have this port?
It doesn't have firewire, as it's a fairly old tape based camera, and only has A/V phono-type connections, hence using using the standalone DVD recorder, to convert the footage to a digital format.
So, now I just need to be able to convert the DVD into a file format I can work with.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I do have DVDShrink, although it is purely for shrinking the the filesize of a DVD (normally for fitting A DVD9 onto a DVD5). A good free tool, although not the tool I need.

Thanks for the suggestion though Ian

I need to convert the current format of footage (all the IFO and VOB files on a DVD) into a editeable format, AVI or MPEG should be fine.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I use this, I paid about £19.00 for it. My version is 2.1.43, latest version is 3.1.

It will convert vob (DVD) files to mpeg1 but how well, I don't know.

I'm right now converting a full length movie (no security encoding) to see how well it performs, I'll let you know.

Other alternatives are to buy a cheap TV card to make use of the video capture facility on it, or one of these, my friend has something similar named Sparkle and it works well.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What we're looking for here is a way to turn DVD (vob) files to mpg files, are we not?

Not something that's common.

My experiment earlier didn't work, It converted all the movie's 'Extra' files but ignored the main movie :confused:

If the home movie is just one vob file, it may work, but I don't know.

It's really easy to convert avi & mpg files to vob (DVD) files but vice versa is, as I said, uncommon.

There are guides showing how to convert DVD's to DivX but I haven't seen any that convert to mpg or avi.

In my opinion, it would be so much easier to capture the original camcorder files to mpg through one of the capture devices I mentioned earlier.

Then you can edit within Adobe Premier to your heart's content.

There may be a way of converting DVD to mpg, but it eludes me for the moment.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I downloaded the Media Coder and installed it . Got a dvd with 4 vob files 3679mb in total inputed it into the decoder , one click , used the "global settings" and one click to start the prog . Been running for one hour and have 14 mins left to run . Seems easy peasy . I'll let you know how it goes and what sort of results I get . Need to do some reading up on video and audio formats before I can figure out how to play with the settings . More grey cell frying :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yipeee ya yay , encoding done and now have 4 video files in xvid format . They play ok and the sound is in sync . They arn't at the same bit rate as the rest in the batch I'm playing with so I'll have to figure out how to adjust the settings and recode .
Now originally I had 3 xvid files , burned them to disc and got 4 vob files (3679mb) , recoded them to xvid and got 4 files(470mb) . All I need to figure out is how to change 4 xvid files back to 3 xvid files that are the same as the original ones . Hmmm can anyone give us a clue how to do that , me poor grey cell has gone into meltdown .

Anyways . Media Coder seems to do the job and its free . :D :cool:

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I tinkered around for a while and recoded the 4 vob files again , took 54 mins this time . Result , they are now in the desired 640 x 480 size , couldn't work out how to get a 128 audio rate so I'll have to tinker again sometime . All the files play ok and are in sync .

So if I can work this software it must be easy to use and it seems to give good results too . Hope this is of some use to everyone . :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The results I got were fine .

but ,

had another go at recoding and the prog hung on me twice . Then I got a blue screen of death "KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR" . I was recoding , transfering files of another pc and playing a vid clip all at the same time so this may have had something to do with the crash . So I've removed the prog for the moment as I'm busy with other more important stuff like , heat probs . Pcs running ok after uninstall so it may be a bug in the software . I still think its a pretty good prog and I'll have a play with it when I've got more time .

Ask a Question