Upper Lower Filters in XP Registry

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Registry Archive' started by Neal Lavon, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
    believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
    play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
    Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
    There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM

    The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
    There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC

    I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can someone
    tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
    what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.

    Thanks for any help.

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Neal Lavon

    John John Guest

    You want to be careful deleting some of these CD writer keys, it could
    render your system unbootable. Read here for possible solutions:

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/...\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    The reason you can't read your cd's might be because an associated Nero
    service doesn't start. Look in the Services Manager to change or start
    the necessary service(s).

    A note about InCD:

    "This is the InCD software which enables you to drag files onto a CD-R
    directly from Windows Explorer, or to save onto CD directly from within
    applications like Microsoft Word, without using the CD Recording
    software that came with your CD-Writer (Nero). While a great and
    potentially very useful concept, the limitations of InCD CDs (CDs
    created with InCD are only ever guaranteed to be readable in CD Writers
    that are the same model as the CD Writer in which the CD was created –
    it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via InCD, in
    another CD-ROM drive) lead us to always recommend its removal. We
    advocate to instead always use its sister product, Nero (also called
    "Nero Burning ROM"), to create CDs, as that is the only method that
    guarantees that you will be able to read the CDs you create in any other
    CD, CD-Writer, or DVD drive – a crucial consideration if you are using
    CDs for data backups !

    Recommendation :
    Unless you do make use of InCD, remove it via "Add/Remove Programs" in
    the Control Panel. Otherwise right-click on it in the System Tray and
    temporarily disable it whenever you need to use other software that will
    want to write to your CD Writer."

    http://www.answersthatwork.com/

    These CD/DVD writer software packages can cause havoc on your system.
    As for InCD I would follow the advice offered by answersthatwork.

    John

    John John, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Neal Lavon

    Dave Patrick Guest

    This article may help.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Neal Lavon

    Guest

    Gosh, thanks for this advice. I really was queasy last night attempting
    this for fear I'd hose the system.

    I'll check out the Services Manager and delete the damned thing.

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    -
    > it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via InCD, in
    > another CD-ROM drive) lead us to always recommend its removal. We
    > advocate to instead always use its sister product, Nero (also called
    > "Nero Burning ROM"), to create CDs, as that is the only method that
    > guarantees that you will be able to read the CDs you create in any

    other
    > CD, CD-Writer, or DVD drive - a crucial consideration if you are

    using
    > CDs for data backups !
    >
    > Recommendation :
    > Unless you do make use of InCD, remove it via "Add/Remove Programs"

    in
    > the Control Panel. Otherwise right-click on it in the System Tray

    and
    > temporarily disable it whenever you need to use other software that

    will
    > want to write to your CD Writer."
    >
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/
    >
    > These CD/DVD writer software packages can cause havoc on your system.

    > As for InCD I would follow the advice offered by answersthatwork.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Neal Lavon wrote:
    > > Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
    > > believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    > > is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but

    cannot
    > > play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
    > > Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
    > > There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
    > >
    > > The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
    > > There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
    > >
    > > I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can

    someone
    > > tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
    > > what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > Neal Lavon
    > > Takoma Park, MD
    > > USA

    , Feb 16, 2005
  5. Neal Lavon

    Guest

    PXHelp20 is a faulty driver. You may want to try deleting it first.
    --
    http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV

    Neal Lavon wrote:
    > Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
    > believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    > is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
    > play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
    > Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
    > There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
    >
    > The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
    > There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
    >
    > I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can

    someone
    > tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
    > what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Neal Lavon
    > Takoma Park, MD
    > USA

    , Feb 16, 2005
  6. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - Try using this reg file to handle the delete (it takes care of
    deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
    http://forum.aumha.org/ http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
    pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first so that
    you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually, BTW).

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    Neal Lavon <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Jim, do I replace the CD-ROM default Microsoft Driver? One poster said
    I might have a corrupted driver. I do have a fresh copy of
    CDr4_xp.sys. Before reboot after when system searches for driver for
    CD-ROM?

    Thanks!

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 17, 2005
  8. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - If you're sure that you have a "clean" copy of the driver, I would
    replace it first, then reboot and see if that fixes the problem. If not,
    you can then run the .reg fix. You may have difficulty replacing it because
    it's an "in use" system file; if so, you can use one of the programs below
    to do that for you.

    I don't currently happen to have a copy of XP installed, but I believe that
    that's not a protected file (my version - cdr4_2k.sys - doesn't appear to be
    in my current Win2kProSP4), so you should only have to replace it in
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder I think, but check the
    System32\dllcache folder and the ServicePackFiles folders also just to be
    sure, and if it's there replace it in those locations also.

    From one of my "standard" cleaning-up-malware posts:

    "A program called Copylock, here,
    http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
    "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
    currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
    files.)" Another is Killbox, here:
    http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
    A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
    here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
    file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem."

    Jim Byrd, Feb 17, 2005
  9. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Thanks, Jim. Just one last item before I take your advice! For Driver
    Details on my non-functioning CD-ROM, I see a series of driver files
    in Device Manager/Driver File Details:

    They are all in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder:
    Cdr4_xp.sys
    Cdralw2k.sys
    cdrom.sys
    GEARAspiWDM.sys
    imapi.sys
    InCDPass.sys
    pfc.sys
    pwd_2k.sys
    PxHelp20.sys
    redbook.sys
    storprop.sys

    There are green checks next to the redbook, storprop, imapi and
    cdrom.sys files.So is the cdrom.sys the magic file here if I can get
    that one? Also PxHelp20.sys may be fault; I did get a new version of
    that one.

    I did not see a dllcache folder but the cdrom.sys file is in my
    Service Pack/i386 folder.

    Is the easiest thing just to run the .reg file?
    BTW, the InCD file is something that Nero Burning ROM must have
    installed...grrr. Cdralw2k is from Adaptec which makes Easy CD Creator
    7, the burn program I have,

    Thanks for all your help.

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 17, 2005
  10. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - Ah, new data!

    If you have both InCD and Easy CD Creator's Drag to Disk DirectCD, their
    respective drivers are known to confict badly with each other. These are
    two fundamentally different approaches to packet writing to your RW CD/DVD.
    You should try to uninstall one or the other (I would suggest the InCD, as
    IIRC it's easiest - use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel).

    You might also want to disable XP's built-in CDWriter if you consistently
    use Easy CD Creator or Nero by preference. There have been some reports of
    conflicts here also. To stop it, go to Administrative Tools|Services. In
    Services, double click on (IIRC I think it's) Imapi cd burning then
    Stop and then Disable.

    Reboot after each removal/disable, then run the .reg file fix and reboot. I
    would suggest that you try this first before replacing the driver, contrary
    to what we last discussed.

    Jim Byrd, Feb 17, 2005
  11. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Jim, still no luck with the system reading the CD despite applying the
    remedy:

    Latest data in4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318:
    Default REG-SZ DVD/CD-ROM drives
    Class REG-SZ CDROM
    EnumPropPages32 REG-SZ MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider
    Icon REG-SZ -51
    Installer32 REG-SZ stroprop.dll, DvdClassInstaller
    LowerFilters.bak REG_MULTI_SZ PxHelpl 20 PFC
    NoInstallClass REG-SZ 1
    SilentInstall REG-SZ 1
    TroubleShooter-0 REG-SZ hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm
    UpperFilters.Bak REG_MULTI-SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM

    In Device Manager for CD-ROM:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\storprop.dll

    Since there was a registry key regarding InCD, a search revealed:
    INCD43111.EXE-384C5EAB.pf in the C:\Windows\Preftech

    So that's about it. What loads at startup is Norton files, McAfee tray
    programs and P2P networking. Any further help or advice would be
    greatly appreciated!

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    , 17 Feb 2005 09:00:24 -0800, "Jim Byrd" <>

    Neal Lavon, Feb 19, 2005
  12. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - Tell me exactly what you did on this last round. Did you
    uninstall InCD? Did you disable CDWriter? Did you run the .reg fix? etc.
    BTW, I would kill all of my Norton/Symantec stuff on startup until you get
    this straightened out (or better yet, permanantly :) ) Norton is
    notorious for interfering with other programs.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:blush:,
    Neal Lavon <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 19, 2005
  13. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    First of all, Jim, I really appreciate your keeping with this. Thank
    you very much.

    I uninstalled InCD and rebooted. I then disabled CD Writer in
    Administrative Services and rebooted, then I merged the downloaded reg
    file and rebooted. Still didn't work. Although in the past couple of
    days, I've gotten small bits of activity like a CD icon spinning next
    to the mouse arrow or the title CD Rom under the icon, but only for a
    little bit.

    Anyway, I also deleted the CD in Device Manager and rebooted but to no
    avail.

    So that's where I am. I just wonder about the PX20 help file
    referenced in the Registry key under LowerFilters.bak. Just real
    frustrating. Let me know what you think, and again, thank you for your
    time and attention.

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 19, 2005
  14. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - First - sorry to be so long getting back to this - stuff going on.

    Re-boot your computer and then look in Event Viewer and report back any
    error or informational messages listed there after the "starting Event
    Viewer" message in detail.

    Take a look at Add-Remove Programs and see if you show a separate entry for
    the Roxio (used to be Adaptec) DirectCD - not quite sure how it will be
    listed, so look for various alternative listings for it. If so uninstall it
    and re-boot, run the cdgone.reg file again, and then re-boot again. (While
    you're there, be sure there's no longer any listing for InCD. You should
    still have a Nero listing of some sort, however - just no InCD.)

    If you don't find a separate listing for DirectCD, you may need to try
    uninstalling Nero and/or Easy CD Creator 5 or 6 or whatever successively.
    Be sure you have the necessary installation media available for each of
    these for re-installation before proceding with any uninstall.

    Jim Byrd, Feb 24, 2005
  15. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Hey, Jim, nice to hear from you again. I'll try what you say, no
    problem and report back.

    Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    OK, now we may be getting somewhere. I went into Event Viewer and
    found both warnings and errors for the CD-ROM in the system log.

    The warning was:

    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 51
    Source: Cdrom
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
    Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

    Explanation
    An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the
    operation was retried.

    The error message was:

    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 11
    Source: Cdrom
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR
    Message: The driver detected a controller error on %1.

    Explanation
    This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the
    drive to the computer.

    User Action
    Replace the cable.

    So, I guess this means that the cable connecting the DVD to the CD and
    then to the motherboard is faulty? I think I used a newer 80-ribbon
    cable. Sounds like I should go out and get another cable. I'd like to
    stick with 80.

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 26, 2005
  17. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - Well, I'd certainly try reseating the cables on BOTH ends first,
    taking a VERY careful look for bent pins, etc. on the components. It's very
    easy for a connector to get partially pulled out of the component's socket,
    also. It can be awkward to get into and hard to see, so be sure to have
    good bright light locally available when you look. If no joy there, then
    replacing the cables may be in order, but I'd make a good visual inspection
    first.

    How are you cabled up? Do you have both CD/MVP's on one cable, one master
    and one slave or Cable Select? or one on each of your IDE channels and, if
    so, as Masters or Slaves, or what. Have you made any physical change in
    your setup near coincident in time with your problem that thus might account
    for it? How you're cabled up and how the dipswitches/jumpers on the
    components are set (M, S, CS) can have significant impacts on their
    operation, particularly if not compatible with each other. A "typical"
    setup that works in most cases is to set the components as Slaves on their
    jumpers and then cable them as the slave components, one each of your HD
    channels (If you have two HD's). This is usually the end connector on the
    cable (the Master is usually the middle one.) If that doesn't apply, you'll
    need to make appropriate adjustments if things aren't set right. Note that
    on some machines I've found in the past that the CS approach doesn't always
    work and specifically selecting for M or S may be needed for proper
    operation. Read any available documentation CAREFULLY.

    Jim Byrd, Feb 26, 2005
  18. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Jim--thanks for getting back promptly.

    When my son and I put in the new CD, we kept the slave jumper on the
    new CD just as it was configured when it came out of the box. We
    rehooked everything back up the way it originally was, but then I
    started having trouble seeing the drive. The CD is hooked up as a
    slave to the Plextor 708A DVD drive master.

    The two optical drives are attached on one IDE cable going to the
    motherboard. I have two hard drives also hooked as master and slave
    going to the other IDE channel on the motherboard.

    What we did with the optical drives was cable the middle connector on
    the drive to the slave CD and the top connector to the master DVD. If
    that's the case (and I think it is), we can try reversing the IDE
    cable connections to each drive. I do believe the slave and master
    settings on the drives are okay as that's the way they had worked
    before.

    Right now, the master drive sits in the top of the computer with the
    slave drive below it. Changing the cable connection with the middle
    connector going to the master and the top connector to the slave
    indicates it would be a lot easier just to swap the drives out and
    reconnect with the CD slave on the top and the DVD master in the
    middle, keeping the jumpers the same. That certainly is an option. Or
    I suppose one could reverse the jumpers and make the DVD the slave and
    the CD the master, although the Plextor guide seems to say it should
    be the master which I think is probably the better way to go.

    In fact, now that I recall, that is the way I had them before the new
    system was configured to XP and the drives reversed. Hmmmm. I think
    you may have hit the jackpot here. At least in theory, this sounds
    like it could be the problem.

    The documentation never says anything about which cable connection
    should go to master or slave, it just mentions hooking them up unless
    I really missed it (which is possible).

    Wow, could that be it? I'll have to try that. That seems to be the
    logical conclusion of what you're suggesting.

    That seems to make sense to me. What do you think?

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 26, 2005
  19. Neal Lavon

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Neal - If you've wired and jumpered as you say, then you may well have a
    conflict. I'd just switch the middle and end connectors (moving the drives
    if needed for convenience) if your documentation recommends that the one you
    currently have jumpered as Slave should be that way - some drives cannot
    support being a master. For right now see if that fixes things for you.
    [Later you might want to do some reading on the net about alternative
    configurations such as having each HD be master and each CD/DVD drive be
    slave. Do a Google on this for more info - it's thought by some experts to
    have some advantages. Let's see if re-connecting the drives cleans things
    up first though. Then you can look at things like that and doing such
    things as enabling DMA for your CD/DVD drives (which is a whole other thing
    :) ) ] Please let us know what happens.

    Jim Byrd, Feb 26, 2005
  20. Neal Lavon

    Neal Lavon Guest

    Grrr.

    Jim, I just changed not only my configuration but used two CD-ROM
    drives with nothing, although there was some progress. I did re-cable
    the CD-ROM as a slave using the top IDE connector of a new ribbon
    cable. The DVD-ROM drive is now below it in the computer case. When I
    first booted up with the Liteon, nothing.

    I replaced the Liteon with another ATAPI CD-ROM I have and when that
    booted up, I noticed that the little icon for a spinning CD appeared
    briefly by the mouse and seemed to "want" to load but in the end, did
    not. I still got the same error message in Event Viewer.

    For what it's worth, here's the data in the box below the error
    message:

    0000: 03 04 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h...¸.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 0b 00 04 c0 .......À
    0010: 01 01 00 00 85 01 00 c0 ....?..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 .?......
    0028: 3f 69 00 00 00 00 00 00 ?i......
    0030: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
    0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 01 00 @..Ä....
    0040: ff 20 0a 12 4c 02 00 00 ÿ ..L...
    0048: 00 08 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
    0050: 00 00 c7 85 90 eb b4 86 ..Ç? [square box] ë´?
    0058: 00 00 00 00 f8 8b ef 86 ....ø?ï?
    0060: 00 60 f7 86 10 00 00 00 .`÷?....
    0068: 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 (.......
    0070: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0078: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0a p.......
    0080: 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 ........
    0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    Also on Driver File Details in Device Driver:

    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Cdr4_xp.sys
    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\driversCdral2k.sys
    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\imapi.sys
    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pwd_2k.sys
    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\redbook.sys
    C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\strorprop.dll

    In the Registry Key, 4D36E965-E325-11CE...
    LowerFilters is REG_MULTI_SZ Cdr4_xp
    UpperFilters REG_MULTI_SZ Cdralw2k pwd_2k
    LowerFilters.Bak REG_MULTI_SZ PxHelp20 PFC
    UpperFilters.Bak REG_MULTI_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM

    There is no trace of Nero software (Ahead Company) (InCD left) in
    Add/Remove Programs. So I'm really stumped and frustrated.

    Questions:

    a) someone in a thread here said that the PxHelp20 PFC file is
    corrupted. I have seen that it's a Trojan Virus and keeps CD-ROMs from
    working properly. It is in the Drivers file. How does one "disable"
    it? Just remove it from the Drivers File?

    b) delete in the Registry the Upper and Lower Filters.Bak files? Run
    cdgone.reg again?

    I think I'm nearing a possible solution here. Thanks!

    Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA

    Neal Lavon, Feb 27, 2005