Upgrading CPU but same M BOARD

Reaction score
I will think about it because that is the one Chris has recommended but everytime I do a search on it I get bad reports like it grinds to a halt, makes grinding noises or dies not long after its been installed.

Any others from anybody?

Reaction score
Well you get the best spec from the Maxtor and i have used maxtor HDD's in about 2 or 3 systems i have built for people now (admittedly the SATA versions) but they all work fine.

They offer a no quibble 2 day replacement service if anything should happen to go wrong.

think about the volume of these drives that are sold and the amount that go wrong. Even if its pretty high, the ebuyer rating is 4 out of 5 stars which is linked to customer reviews and thats pretty good.

I say go for it and just cross your fingers, if it does work, it would be the fastest (on paper) 7200rpm IDE drive you can get your hands on.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On the subject of hard drives.....

Over the years, I've used every make of hard drive, as far as I know, and I've had failures from every brand - except one.

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't so much the brand name/designer that was responsible for failed hard drives, but rather the factory where they were manufactured in batches.

I figured as a consumer if I got a HDD from a good batch, I was lucky, if I got a faulty drive or one that failed after a while, it was bad luck and I had to go through the painful process of RMA'ing a disk.

In the days of IDE 100ATA HDD's, IBM disks flew, they were the best. Unfortunately, they had the highest failure rate. I myself RMA'd three of them. IBM HDD manufacture has now been taken over by Hitachi, they've had good reviews, but still, with me, the doubt remains. Which is probably an unfounded doubt.

I've seen constant arguments/recommendations/affirmations/ouut and out insisting that one brand of hard disk is better than another. I think that's a pile of tosh. I still say it depends on the factory/batch.

And the brand that's never failed on me? I must just say that I've seen lots of complaints/reports on this brand of hard drive failing, across lots of forums, so they do fail. But, for me, maybe I've been lucky with.... Maxtor drives ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That's right. Their products generally get good reviews.

In fact Albatron was started by a guy who left Abit.

alrite cool. i guess they are one of those undercover companies!!!!

Reaction score
Ordered the Maxtor HDD with fingers crossed.

i am sure it will be fine.

I have also ordered a IDE cable ATA133.

So run this by me again.

To get the best out of this new HDD runningat ATA133, caching at 8Mb and running at full RPM should I:

1) Use IDE 1 on the MBoard and link this with the ATA133 cable to the new HDD
then Use IDE 2 on the Mboard and link this with a standard ATA100 cable to the old HDD as master and the CDRW as Slave?

Reaction score
keep the new HDD on the new cable on its own on IDE 1.

connect everthing else to IDE 2

thats what i think

Reaction score
okay new HDD in and working sweetly.

Also noticed that when I first built the system I had acquired a IDE cable and had used it to link to the CD-RW (IT WAS ONLY ATA 66)! so that was replaced with an ADA 100.

So the set up is

XP and progs on ATA 133 drive

User files on ATA100 drive.

Looking for advice:

would you:

Move the user files on to ATA133 (on a second partition) and use the older HDD as pure backup?

or

Would you use the ATA133 for programs and XP only and have a dedicated file HDD?
And then where would you back up to - a CD?

Cheers

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Personally I would use the NEW drive as normal ... but use the second drive for back-up, then make sure ALL important data was copied to CD.

:thumb:

Ask a Question