Upgrading CPU but same M BOARD

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Why do you need to flash the bios?

You should be able to put it straight in.

Reaction score
yes you'll to flash your bios with an update to allow the board to support CPU's with bus speed of 333mhz.

mobo will only support 266mhz max without update.

Reaction score
Newbuilder - as long as everything is compatible (check the FSB's of the CPUS's are the same and if not, ensure compatibilty with mobo and memory) you should be able to install it and boot, after clearing the Bios

you do, however, need to flash the bios to make it accept the 333MHz CPU. you wont be getting anywhere without doing so.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Agreed with what the others say. Looking at the BIOS versions for that motherboard, you'll need to flash to R1.06, the latest Bios, to enable the XP2800 to it's full potential.

I had that motherboard for about 14 months, it's a very good board, very stable. Managed to sell it OK as well when I upgraded.

Are you OK with flashing the Bios? If you need any help, just ask.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I remember correctly this is a good motherboard when flashing the bios you basically download, copy to floppy and follow the instructions remembering to say yes to backing up the existing bios.

I don't have the stuff yet so I will be back in contact.

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
newbuilder.............

why dont u get a new motherboard too? is it the expense? or the worry about reinstalling your os?

whatever it maybe, i think its a good idea to get a new mobo too, mite aswell as your upgrading your cpu.

Albatron? Never heard of it mate.

Reaction score
Psd: Albatron are one of those companies that make good products but not many people know about them as they arent massive like Abit etc

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Psd: Albatron are one of those companies that make good products but not many people know about them as they arent massive like Abit etc
That's right. Their products generally get good reviews.

In fact Albatron was started by a guy who left Abit.

Reaction score
Will I notice a big difference increasing the processor from a 2000+ (1.67GHZ) to a 2800+ (

and (2.08GHZ)

The last time I bought a CPU, I got the cooler with it. It is a little noisy, especially on start up but do you think it is best to buy seperate and if so what is you recommendations?

and

Should I upgrade the memory from 512 kb? to ________??????

OR

Will upgrading the memory speed things up?

I think that is about it !

phew ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
newbuilder said:
Will I notice a big difference increasing the processor from a 2000+ (1.67GHZ) to a 2800+ (

and (2.08GHZ)

The last time I bought a CPU, I got the cooler with it. It is a little noisy, especially on start up but do you think it is best to buy seperate and if so what is you recommendations?

and

Should I upgrade the memory from 512 kb? to ________??????

OR

Will upgrading the memory speed things up?

I think that is about it !

phew ;)
You should notice a very big difference in the change of CPU due to increased operating frequency AND Front side bus speeds. I have compared a 2000 (sisters PC) to a 2500+ (Nans PC) and the 2500 is suprisingly nippy!

You should use the standard cooler unless you will be overclocking at all. They are quite small and do the job actually very well and you wont need to bother about thermal paste which can be a lil tricky sometimes. The standard one would be easier to put on than a bigger one and you probably know already that fitting any AMD sink is an EEEEVIL task!.. thats a reason i prefer intel.

If you are going to overclock, you will pretty much get the best out of the Thermal-right SP or SLK series (the SLK being similar to the SP but without the heatpipes)... you may need to check motherboard compatibility of you consider it though as they are huge.

Again, it depends what you use your PC for with regards to the memory. 512 is more than enough for most systems unless you use really intense applications. Personally, with memory prices being high at the mo, i would stick with 512, will do ya. Maybe buy something else that could improve performance.

I say 512 would do ya but i am assuming your graphics isnt onboard, right?

Hope that helps.

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks for all of that.

Graphic not onboard but on PCI card.

Computer runs XP plus Microsoft office and internet, nothing major like gaming etc but it can take time to load up etc especially with SP2 now on it.

So just go for the CPU upgrade in a boxed set?

Reaction score
Ok so its not shared graphics - 512 memory would do just fine.

Definatly, in your case, get the boxed set for the CPU.

What about your hard drive - what is it? e.g. SATA or IDE...7200rpm or 5400rpm...2mb or 8mb cache

That may be one of the culprits for slow loading times...

Reaction score
1 x Seagate ST340810A U6 40Gb 5400rpm UDMA100 IDE Hard Disk Drive - OEM

Go on tell me it is the slop rpm!

Reaction score
Well i would say its because its...

1.) ATA100
2.)5400rpm
3.)2mb cache

If you want a big increase then pick up a 7200rpm with 8mb cache...SATA would be greater still if your motherboard has the capability.

You should definatly notice big speed up

Reaction score
Excuse the ignorance but what is SATA and how do I know if I have got it?

According to the manual I have 2 IDE slots for HDD.

The manual says:

Built in IDE Facilities:

Supports four IDE HDD
supports PIO Mode 4, Master Mode, and high performance HDDs
Supports disk transfer rates to 133MB/sec
supports Ultra DMA, 33,66,100,133 Bus master modes
Supports interface with CD ROM
Supports high capacity HDD
Supports LBA Mode.

Last edited:
Reaction score
just checked the spec of your mobo and i am afraid you dont have it.

Excuse the ignorance
dont be stupid - we are here to help!!

it is Serial-ATA - basically its nearly the same as your regular IDE except its at the moment only for hard drivers, faster (150mbps max compared to 133mbps) and the cables are smaller. Also it dosent tie up a IDE port so you can have 2 cd drives on seperate channels or even 4 on 2 shared.

Its just a new generation thing - the speed difference isnt massive as its only on the first revision but i think people like it because its tidier and good for RAID.

you can pick up an IDE 7200rpm 8mb drive and that should do you fine/.

Ask a Question