Upgrading CPU but same M BOARD

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
it is Serial-ATA - basically its nearly the same as your regular IDE except its at the moment only for hard drivers
There are actualy S-ATA optical drives out now, theres a reveiw of one in the latest PC Format!

Having your HD, CD and DVD drive all on S-ATA would certainly clean up the inside of your computer.

I couldnt find anything about it on the PC Format website, but Toms Hardware has a reveiw.

Reaction score
If I update to a faster HDD should I keep my existing one on secondary as a file area for my own files - no programs or will this still slow the system down?

Also when I flash the CPU do I do it in this order:

Old CPU - Flash
Install New CPU
Start up and all should be okay!

And Finally

Will XP like it or will I need to reinstall?

Reaction score
With your hard drive i THINK (someone else correct if im wrong) it may run at the speed of the slowest one IF it is on the same channel. Someone who knows more needs to speak in here but thats what i thought.

your CPU order thing sounds about right.

With a new hard drive you will need to put XP on it!

Reaction score
Sorry Brain not working the last question should read :rolleyes:

Will Xp like the new processor or will it need to be reinstalled (XP that is).

I know about the HDD needing XP. (You probably think I should not be allowed near a computer to type, never mind dismantle!) :eek:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
With your hard drive i THINK (someone else correct if I’m wrong) it may run at the speed of the slowest one IF it is on the same channel.

You are almost correct Chris; it has nothing to do with the "rpm" of the drive but rather the ATA.

Fit an ATA33 with a new ATA133 and you'll notice a lag ... but as NB has an ATA100 & he if he adds an ATA133, there should be no noticeable degradation, especially as he IS going to use an 80wire cable. Watch the PC POST and if the MB has "detected" each HD correctly then you'll see it ...

However, if you wish to eliminate any potential problem then fit the "old" drive as a master on the secondary IDE along with any optical drive as slave and you wont have a problem.

:thumb:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
in this page

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/maxtor_ide.html

it is ATA133

company with much better reputation aswell.
I got one of them hard drives (the 8mb version that is) and its pretty good for the price, its not noisey at all and its very fast.

I got it from Savastore where its a little cheaper(only about £3, but every penny counts), it only took 2 days to come aswell!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, they are one and the same. :D

Barton (333/400fsb) is AMDs "code" name as is Thoroughbred (266fsb) ... They are ALL Athlons ... your 2800 will be a 333fsb "Barton core" Athlon
:thumb:

Reaction score
Phew, Thanks Muckshifter.

Just out of interest, How do you set up a poll.

If one is not already set up I would like to see how many people use this forum to check and get ideas for building their own PC.

I and you know I certainly have.

Maybe it could be:
Question
Have you used this site to help build a PC

1. Yes I am a newbie who got support through the forums
2. No I know all there is to know
3. Yes I used the site to find out the latest about upgrades
4. Yes I used the forum to find out if my upgrades were going to be compatible.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
YES BUT OH NO!

I need some help (again!)

The CPU is in place but the BIOS SET UP is asking for

CPU SPEED DETECTED 1666 - greyed out
CPU RATIO - Currently at 12.5
Spread spectrum enabled
cpuclock 133
DDR: CPU RATIO 2.00x
DDR SPEED (Strobe/Sec) 266M (greyed out)

Default CPU Voltage 1.640 greyed out
CPU VOLTAGE 1.650
Ram voltage 2.5

What do I change and how do I get the speed up to what it should be?

I have updated the BIOS and it shows the new version on boot up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats the CPU up and running! :)

Now about the hard drive.

Chris the one you suggests has a lot of bad reviews in Ebuyer so I am still looking.

What is the difference between ATA 100 and ATA 133? What does it do?

muckshifter

Reaction score
What is the difference between ATA 100 and ATA 133? What does it do?
Simply put, the tranfer rate is faster on the 133

... actually you'll probably not notice the difference if you put the two together, however, as always ... get the fastest & latest you can afford. :D

Reaction score
If you can find one, get the Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm 8Mb Cache - i had one its very good.

You will have to remember that to a certain extent, its the people that have the problems that will publish their feelings and the people who are happy usually just stay quiet.

Reaction score
Oh its only 100...

If you can find a hard drive that is ATA133, 7200rpm and 8Mb of cache then it's likely to be ok.

So long as its a reputable company i add - some are Maxtor, Western Digital, Samsung, Hitachi, IBM, Seagate... there are probs more. Those are the ones that immediatly come to mind so try fond one by any of them.

Reaction score
Searched Dabs , Ebuyer , and Overclockers and all I can find except from the Maxtor ( and the more I find them the m,ore bad reviews they get) is either 8mb cache or ATA 133.

Unless I go to the 120+GB at £100+ I am finding that I can either get ATA 133 OR 8Mb Cache.

So the question is, what is more important or do I stick with my existing

ATA 100, 2 MB 5400Rpm.

In other words is it worth upgrading and should it be leaning towards the cache memory or the ATA spec? :confused:

Ask a Question