Update on BOINC problem.

Reaction score
Update re: BOINC.

Uninstalled it completely> then I installed UD worked fine all day yesterday> last night I installed _boinc_5.10.30_windows_intelx86 > over the top of it, no uninstall?

Now it has returned 3 WU today, has not frozen, still running fine:nod: .

What I have noticed are several things? When the original BOINC was having problems on two occasions Zone alarm popped up with request for California university to gain access to the PC/WEB whilst I were updating BOINC well seeing they are involved I allowed the program> and all the WUs 5 in total changed to 100% complete funny I thought, so I checked at WCG work and all had errors including the one that had completed?:mad:

That happened twice once on XP and once on Vista.

Ok in the tray the icon is still the old logo {wavy} with me? But when it was the new logo for BOINC [B star] I don’t know if this is relevant? But that was when I had the problems? Very strange indeed.:confused: :user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad it's working now Viv, I've got the wavy BOINC icon in my system tray too :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm glad it's working now Viv, I've got the wavy BOINC icon in my system tray too :)

I wonder how many have the wavy icon in preference to the B star?
and whether that is a problem for others..

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Itsme :) I'm also using version 5.10.30 on both Vista and XP-Pro (SP2) but I don't have a B-star or a wavy icon on either machine ... I have a little blue box lying on it's corner sort-of :rolleyes: I'll upload a little snip-shot of it (hope it won't be too tiny to see) just for comparison :)

Attachments

• BOINC new icon.JPG
    BOINC new icon.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi Itsme :) I'm also using version 5.10.30 on both Vista and XP-Pro (SP2) but I don't have a B-star or a wavy icon on either machine ... I have a little blue box lying on it's corner sort-of :rolleyes: I'll upload a little snip-shot of it (hope it won't be too tiny to see) just for comparison :)

:D Thats it a Wavy one:wave: :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:lol: Just goes to show, one person's wavy is another's box on a corner :lol: (I really must get these glasses checked soon :rolleyes: )

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Boinc with the 'wavy' icon is the one specially compiled for WCG and available from their site (currently 5.10.30) - the 'star' style icon is the one used if you get Boinc direct from the Boinc site ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm still on 5.10.22, which seems to work well. My tray icon is a dark blue X with a yellow diamond in the centre - can I assume this is what you call a B star? :confused:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:
dark blue X with a yellow diamond in the centre

Thumbnail of said icon below.

Attachments

• Icon.JPG
    Icon.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Boinc with the 'wavy' icon is the one specially compiled for WCG and available from their site (currently 5.10.30) - the 'star' style icon is the one used if you get Boinc direct from the Boinc site ;)

Thats what I thought from now on only download if necessary from WCG:thumb:

Ask a Question