Unable to Open Internet Explorer

I am unable to open internet explorer. I double click the icon and see the
hour glass for 5 seconds and it disappears without opening the window. This
started after I uninstalled QuickTime. I can still connect to the internet
using my SBC browser, but I would rather use internet explorer for many
reasons. Can some please help me? I should probably also let you know that
every time I run Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 an adware threat called Twain
Tech always appears on my list. I check the option for it to be removed. I am
then asked to reboot my computer for the changes to take affect. I then rerun
Microsoft AniSpyware Beta1 and the adware is still there. It's seems that it
is reinstalled every time I turn on my computer. I have eTrust EZ Antivirus,
Lavasoft Ad-aware 6.0, Ad-watch 3.0, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1, and Zone
Alarm to protect my computer.
My windows version is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service
Pack 2
My IE version is 6.0.2900.2180 Full Version 6.00.2900.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Don Varnau

Hi,
This inability to open IE does often indicate a malware problem.

Try the Twain Tech removal instructions at:
http://www.pchell.com/support/twaintec.shtml
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adw_rm_Twain-tech.html
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453078844

Each of those procedures involves some registry editing. Be sure to backup
(export) the registry or create a System Restore point before editing.

322756- How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and
Windows Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Gotitadeamor99" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

First of all thank you for responding. I tried you suggestions, but
unfortunately it didn’t work. I was unable to find Twain Tech on my
add/remove programs window. When I do run Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 it
detects that there are two signatures affected with Twain Tech (Adware) which
are:
c:\windows\smdat32a.sys
c:\windows\smdat32m.sys
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 removes these signatures, and requires me to
reboot my computer for them to be completely removed. After I restart my
computer after rebooting, I re-run Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 and the Twain
Tech (Adware) is back on my computer and if I want to remove it I will have
to reboot again. And every time I restart my computer the Twain Tech
signatures keeps reinstalling itself. What else can I do to remove all adware
especially Twain Tech and it’s signatures from my computer and keep it from
coming back? Any more suggestions? I would really appreciate all the help I
can get. Would it help to uninstall internet explorer?

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Reinstalling IE won't resolve this. The infected files will still be there
in the C:\WINDOWS directory. Since MSAS (Beta) and Ad-aware are unable to
remove these files, let's try a HijackThis log.

Start at http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums:
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Gotitadeamor99" wrote in message

Hi, Don!!!

I just wanted to thank you for your help. I just ended up restoring my
computer and of course this fixed the problem. I was able to figure out that
the Twain Tech Adware that was on my computer is part of Kazaa Plus. Before I
installed Kazaa Plus once again after restoring my computer I checked to see
if the Twain Tech signatures were stored. I was unable to find them. I then
installed Kazaa Plus and found that
c:\windows\smdat32a.sys
c:\windows\smdat32m.sys
were back, but my internet explorer is still working. So, I figure that
something went wrong when I uninstalled QuickTime. Also, I am now able to
remove the Twain Tech Adware permanently from my computer if I uninstall
Kazaa Plus and run Microsoft AntiSpyware. Once this is done the signatures do
not reinstall themselves after rebooting as they did before. Hope this helps
for anyone who has the same problem that I did.