Unable to browse internet. "Cannot find server or DNS error" for all URLs

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS' started by Tad Bochan, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Tad Bochan

    Tad Bochan Guest

    Hello anybody.
    I cannot browse the internet from my laptop, and am
    exhausted trying all sorts of things to resolve the
    problem. I don't really know what I am doing, and I
    am not really getting any help from my laptop supplier.
    (Lots of sympathy and emotional support but little else!)
    The following is the note that I sent to the vendor trying
    to describe 'my' problem.
    Please, any clue on how to resolve this would be much
    appreciated.
    Regards.

    Problem recap :
    Inspiron 8000
    Windows 2000
    Internet Explorer fails to locate any page on the Web.
    Gives message "cannot find server or DNS error"

    Some of actions I have taken :
    1. Connection to my ISP works.
    Once the connection is established , I am able to ping
    the server supplied addresses Ok.
    This works both with a Psion PCMIA modem and the
    internal modem.
    When I try to locate any url, I get the standard
    error (as above), and the the byte transfer statistics
    on the modem remain unchanged (about 345 sent, 289 rcvd)

    2. I have re-installed Windows 2000 several times
    I have re-installed IE 5.0 several times.
    I even tried to delete the IE directory but it
    just wouldn't disappear.
    I have not done a 'clean' W2K install because I dont
    want
    to spend the next 4 weeks/months trying to
    reinstall/recover my other data/software.

    3. I have reviewed every setting related to the Dialup
    connection that I could find (change/reboot etc...).

    4. I have deleted my Dialup connection, rebooted and then
    set it up again. (Several times).
    I also tried to add the connection while in 'safe mode',
    but the program icwconn1.exe failed with a gpf.

    5. Went to the ******* microsoft ******* website searching
    for similar problems/solutions.
    Found nothing but unintelligible gibberish, headaches
    and bowel problems.
    Tried a few suggestions, but absolutely nothing seems to
    make a difference.

    6. I think there must be some problem in the registry. Is
    it possible for you to send
    me the registry of a working system so that I can compare
    > with mine?

    Or could I send you my registry and perhaps you could
    isolate the problem ?
    7. The only other problem that I can see is that the
    Inspiron8000 (800Mhz)appears to run slower
    than my Inspiron3200(266 Mhz) running W98.
    Startup/Shutdown, application loading
    all appear to be much slower/sluggish on the
    Inspiron8000.
    8. The Laptop is almost useless without an internet
    connection.
    Its difficult to download any patches!!!
    Please help.
    Regards.

    Tad Bochan, Aug 18, 2003

  2. TB> 1. Connection to my ISP works.

    Ask your ISP how your dialup connection should be configured, in particular
    what should be configured for the proxy DNS servers that you are to use. Also
    ask your ISP about proxy HTTP servers.

    This problem is largely between you and your ISP. Yet from your account you
    appear to have done everything (going to Microsoft, talking to the people who
    sold your laptop to you, deinstalling and reinstalling things willy-nilly)
    _except_ talk to your ISP.

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Tad Bochan

    Fizbin Guest

    Ditto

    Get help from your isp,,, it will be along the lines of a
    dns setting. 1 call to a competent tech and you should be
    all set.

    Fizbin, Aug 19, 2003
  4. In news:0f2301c36be6$aca32910$,
    Tad Bochan <> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > Hi. Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it. I humbly
    > admit to my 'willy-nilly' troubleshooting technique. In
    > fact, I would suggest that 'willy-nilly' would be
    > something of an understatement !
    > The reason I did not consult my ISP is that I have the
    > same problem regardless of ISP, I have one ISP in France
    > and one in the UK. Neither requires proxy settings etc...
    > The proxy/DNS settings on my W2K system are broadly the
    > same as on my W98 system which works fine.
    >
    > A bit more background.
    > The config used to work fine when I first got the machine.
    > My son then took the machine to University, and was
    > accessing the internet via the university network.
    > The IE problem arose during the final month of term, that
    > is, while using the university Lan for access.
    > My son said that one day, it stopped working and could not
    > recall any specific event which could have caused the
    > problem.
    > After the end of term, the machine came home and I tried
    > to connect up via dialup, and encountered the same error
    > my son got at uni.
    > Thats why I did not try to talk to my ISP.
    > Also, I am spending most of my time in France, but I dont
    > speak french well enough to talk to my ISP, and it is
    > usually weekend when I am back in the UK, when support is
    > more rarified than usual.
    > I would be very grateful for any other suggestions,
    > and once again thank you for your effort.
    > Best regards.

    It may have come down to a browser hijacking, or some other thing installed
    or infiltrated while the box was at the university. Common because of all
    the traffic at such a place. Suggestions?

    1. Install Adaware.
    2. Check your Run key for anything initializing at startup that doesn't
    belong there:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Search at google.com for the entries. You can also post them here so we can
    ascertain their validity.
    3. Antivirus
    4. Try a different DNS server in your config, such as 4.2.2.2

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

    =================================

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Aug 26, 2003
  5. TB> The reason I did not consult my ISP is that I have the
    TB> same problem regardless of ISP, I have one ISP in France
    TB> and one in the UK. Neither requires proxy settings etc...

    _They_ don't require them, but _you_ do (since you aren't running
    your own proxy DNS server on your own machine and so need someone
    else's proxy DNS server to use). They supply them.

    Here's the page where One.Tel gives the proxy DNS server IP
    addresses that its customers should use, for example:

    <URL:http://www.onetel.co.uk./index.php/support/pg,supportcom/id,361>

    If you are using One.Tel, and do not run your own proxy DNS server
    (as, by default, "home" Windows systems do not), your DNS client
    should be configured to send its queries to the proxy DNS servers at
    212.67.96.130 and 212.67.96.129, which One.Tel provides for the
    benefit of its customers with such "home" systems.

    TB> The IE problem arose during the final month of term, that
    TB> is, while using the university Lan for access. My son
    TB> said that one day, it stopped working and could not recall
    TB> any specific event which could have caused the problem.

    That was probably when the proxy DNS server settings were altered.

    TB> Thats why I did not try to talk to my ISP.

    You weren't thinking about it clearly. You had a problem obtaining a
    service that (because you aren't running a server on your own machine
    to provide it yourself) you are relying upon your ISP to provide to
    you. You should have talked to your ISP, the provider of that
    service.

    If you'd talked to your ISP, it would have double-checked your
    proxy DNS server configuration with you (even for script-parroters,
    checking the settings is usually near the top of the script), and
    the error would probably have been fixed long since.

    Remember:

    * When one switches ISPs, the proxy DNS server settings change just
    like both the proxy HTTP server settings and the SMTP Submission
    server settings do, because these are all services that (for minimal
    "home" Windows systems, at any rate) one relies upon one's ISP to
    provide. When one is a roaming user, with a minimal "home" Windows
    system, these _all_ change as one roams.

    * Switching from a university LAN to a dial-up connection is
    effectively switching ISPs.

    * If you don't enjoy relying upon your ISP for proxy DNS service,
    proxy HTTP service, or SMTP Submission service, and don't want to be
    a minimal "home" Windows system any more, you can always run your
    own such services on your own machine. Installing and running
    NTCanuck's "BIND Personal Edition", or the Win32 port of ISC's BIND,
    or the Win32 port of Sam Trenholme's MaraDNS, are several ways of
    running one's own proxy DNS server, for example. (One can also run
    Microsoft's DNS server, but I don't suggest it as an option because
    as far as I know it isn't available standalone, but is only available
    bundled with Windows NT Server. So using it requires more expense
    and more effort than using any of the others does.)

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Tad Bochan

    Tad Bochan Guest

    My problem was completely resolved by running SPYBOT.
    Internet connection worked first time after the
    reboot after running SPYBOT. Kudos to Ace Fekay
    for pointing me in this direction, and to SPYBOT for doing
    the good deed.
    The problem had wasted about 200 hours of my time overall
    and the only consolation I have is that these
    spyware 'ar*eh*les" had their intentions thwarted by
    their own junk. Spyware is nogood without a connection.
    The best I can do for now is wish them the worst life
    imaginable, may misfortune visit them always.

    regards to all.

    Tad Bochan, Aug 29, 2003