    Still same problem.
    I've checked some knowledge base articles but still stuck.

    , Nov 14, 2005

  2. Frankster Guest

    Try this...

    In TCP/IP Properties of the NIC, all DNS client PCs (including your servers)
    point *only* to the internal DNS you are running yourself (not your ISPs
    DNS). Configure the internal DNS server to point to itself.

    Configure your internal DNS server with a forwarder to your
    *router's* internal IP.

    The TCP/IP Properties of your router should have your ISP-provided external
    DNS
    server IPs.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 14, 2005

    Hi Frank,
    thanks.
    That's pretty close to what I had.

    ipconfig /all - this is from my notebook, I'm connected by ethernet
    just in case my wireless was doing something strange but getting the
    same problem, also looks like my forwader is not working as I cannot
    browse the internet.

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : STRIFF-HOME-NB
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : SNK.CORP
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SNK.CORP
    domain_not_set.invalid

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 P Mobile
    Combo
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-59-80-1C-04
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 15 November 2005
    6:08:

    , Nov 14, 2005
  4. Frankster Guest

    > Hi Frank,
    > thanks.
    > That's pretty close to what I had.

    "The DC has DNS forwards to that of my Internet providers DNS."

    You say pretty close. Did you change the forwarders to forward to your
    router?

    > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SNK.CORP
    > domain_not_set.invalid

    I'm sorry, but I don't know what would cause this domain_not_set.invalid
    stuff. Maybe someone else here can help. I'm not sure if that has anything
    to do with not being about to browse the Internet. Have you set the domain
    name in the My Computer | Properties | Computer Name?

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Frankster <> wrote:
    >> Hi Frank,
    >> thanks.
    >> That's pretty close to what I had.

    > "The DC has DNS forwards to that of my Internet providers DNS."
    >
    > You say pretty close. Did you change the forwarders to forward to your
    > router?
    >
    >> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SNK.CORP
    >> domain_not_set.invalid

    > I'm sorry, but I don't know what would cause this
    > domain_not_set.invalid stuff. Maybe someone else here can help. I'm
    > not sure if that has anything to do with not being about to browse
    > the Internet. Have you set the domain name in the My Computer |
    > Properties | Computer Name?
    >
    > -Frank

    Some Routers and DSL modems assign this suffix. Usually, if they do, then
    its DHCP can be modified and the suffix can be removed.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Nov 15, 2005

    Frank - Sorry had the Forwads already set, but on the notebook I had as
    a secondary DNS of of the ISP providers as without it I cannot browse
    the internet, even though forwards are set.

    Kevin - I've checked my router settings and only thing that seems it
    may be related is under Optional Settings (required by some ISPs) it
    has Host name and Domain name, but these are blank...

    So I'm not sure what is happening, will try updating firmware and
    check event logs on the DC.
    Thanks
    Scott

    , Nov 15, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > Frank - Sorry had the Forwads already set, but on the notebook I had
    > as a secondary DNS of of the ISP providers as without it I cannot
    > browse the internet, even though forwards are set.
    >
    > Kevin - I've checked my router settings and only thing that seems it
    > may be related is under Optional Settings (required by some ISPs) it
    > has Host name and Domain name, but these are blank...
    >
    > So I'm not sure what is happening, will try updating firmware and
    > check event logs on the DC.

    My suggestion is to disable DHCP on the router and enable it on your server.
    It has much better support of Active Directory and can register legacy
    clients that do not support DDNS.
    When you enable DHCP on the server it will start a wizard that will set you
    needed options. Then you'll need to Authorize it in Active Directory.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Nov 15, 2005
  8. Frankster Guest

    > My suggestion is to disable DHCP on the router and enable
    > it on your server.

    Yeah, that's how I run mine.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 15, 2005

    Frankster wrote:
    > > My suggestion is to disable DHCP on the router and enable
    > > it on your server.

    > Yeah, that's how I run mine.
    >
    > -Frank

    Thanks to All.
    I gues this suggestion is the preffered, I did however enter in the
    router my domain name and the the domain_not_set.invalid has gone away,
    so you were right it was from the router and looks like my group policu
    is at least not erroring.
    I haven't fully tested this as was sick..

    the main reasin I don't have DHCP in the server is because it on GSX
    and more of a test environment I don't alway have it up. But if all
    else fails I will.

    Cheers

    , Nov 16, 2005