Try again! problems with oe

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Alan Holmes, Jul 24, 2012.

  1. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    I didn't give the right information before, so:-

    I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox emptied and
    then I found I could not delete anything from any newsgroup at all, so the
    whole thing has seized up.

    But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an unknown place
    and I do not know where.

    I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see the
    reply.

    But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
    contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I do
    that if I do not see any replies.

    Please can someone hep?

    Alan

    Alan Holmes, Jul 24, 2012

  2. Alan Holmes

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "Alan Holmes" <> wrote in message

    > I didn't give the right information before, so:-
    >
    > I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox emptied
    > and then I found I could not delete anything from any newsgroup at all,
    > so the whole thing has seized up.
    >
    > But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an unknown
    > place and I do not know where.
    >
    > I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see
    > the reply.
    >
    > But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
    > contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I do
    > that if I do not see any replies.
    >
    > Please can someone hep?
    >
    > Alan

    You have dbx file corruption. Create a new identity.

    You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
    Identity. File | Identities | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test
    it. If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book from the
    old identity and delete it.

    Note: Do not use the word Main in the name of the new identity.

    For your messages:

    In the new identity: File | Import | Messages. Select Microsoft Outlook
    Express 6 and Import from the old identity.

    For your Address Book:

    Open the Address Book in the old identity and File | Export | Address Book
    (wab) to any place on your HDD that is easy for you. My Documents is fine.
    Then, open the Address Book in the new identity and File | Import |
    Address Book (wab) and point to where you saved it.

    For News Account Settings:

    In OE: Tools | Accounts, select the account and export it to the Desktop.
    In the new ID, Import the settings. Specific newsgroups will have to be
    resubscribed to.

    General precautions for Outlook Express:

    Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
    defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
    Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
    of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

    Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
    Outlook Express:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

    After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
    working *offline* and do it often.

    Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
    open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
    Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
    until the compacting is completed.

    Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
    layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
    such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
    will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

    And backup often.

    Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

    Bruce Hagen, Jul 24, 2012

  3. Alan Holmes

    Bob F Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:
    > I didn't give the right information before, so:-
    >
    > I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox
    > emptied and then I found I could not delete anything from any
    > newsgroup at all, so the whole thing has seized up.
    >
    > But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an
    > unknown place and I do not know where.
    >
    > I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see
    > the reply.
    >
    > But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
    > contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I
    > do that if I do not see any replies.
    >
    > Please can someone hep?

    Did you delete the Inbox?

    Bob F, Jul 25, 2012
  4. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Bob F" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Holmes wrote:
    >> I didn't give the right information before, so:-
    >>
    >> I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox
    >> emptied and then I found I could not delete anything from any
    >> newsgroup at all, so the whole thing has seized up.
    >>
    >> But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an
    >> unknown place and I do not know where.
    >>
    >> I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see
    >> the reply.
    >>
    >> But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
    >> contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I
    >> do that if I do not see any replies.
    >>
    >> Please can someone hep?
    >>

    > Did you delete the Inbox?

    No, I cannot delete anything!

    Alan Holmes, Jul 25, 2012
  5. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Bruce Hagen" <> wrote in message
    > "Alan Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I didn't give the right information before, so:-
    >>
    >> I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox emptied
    >> and then I found I could not delete anything from any newsgroup at all,
    >> so the whole thing has seized up.
    >>
    >> But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an unknown
    >> place and I do not know where.
    >>
    >> I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see the
    >> reply.
    >>
    >> But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
    >> contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I do
    >> that if I do not see any replies.
    >>
    >> Please can someone hep?
    >>
    >> Alan

    I've printed this out so I can read it properly, but:-

    > You have dbx file corruption. Create a new identity.

    I tried that but it wouldn't work.

    I will try again.

    Alan Holmes, Jul 25, 2012
  6. Alan Holmes

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:12:12 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bob F" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan Holmes wrote:
    >>> I didn't give the right information before, so:-
    >>>
    >>> I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox
    >>> emptied and then I found I could not delete anything from any
    >>> newsgroup at all, so the whole thing has seized up.
    >>>
    >>> But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an
    >>> unknown place and I do not know where.
    >>>
    >>> I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see
    >>> the reply.
    >>>
    >>> But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
    >>> contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I
    >>> do that if I do not see any replies.
    >>>
    >>> Please can someone hep?
    >>>

    >> Did you delete the Inbox?

    >No, I cannot delete anything!

    Yes, you can.

    Hint: Exit OE, then use Windows Explorer to delete the inbox file. OE
    will recreate it the next time you start it.

    You've been given very detailed instructions several times now. Maybe
    it would help if you'd describe EXACTLY what you're doing so we can
    see the exact step where you're failing to follow the provided
    guidance.

    Char Jackson, Jul 25, 2012
  7. Alan Holmes

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:12:12 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bob F" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did you delete the Inbox?

    >>No, I cannot delete anything!

    > Yes, you can.
    >
    > Hint: Exit OE, then use Windows Explorer to delete the inbox file. OE
    > will recreate it the next time you start it.
    >
    > You've been given very detailed instructions several times now. Maybe
    > it would help if you'd describe EXACTLY what you're doing so we can
    > see the exact step where you're failing to follow the provided
    > guidance.

    That will fix the Inbox, but all messages will be lost.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, Jul 25, 2012
  8. Alan Holmes

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:19:02 -0700, "Bruce Hagen" <>
    wrote:

    >"Char Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:12:12 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Bob F" <> wrote in message

    >>>No, I cannot delete anything!

    >> Yes, you can.
    >>
    >> Hint: Exit OE, then use Windows Explorer to delete the inbox file. OE
    >> will recreate it the next time you start it.
    >>
    >> You've been given very detailed instructions several times now. Maybe
    >> it would help if you'd describe EXACTLY what you're doing so we can
    >> see the exact step where you're failing to follow the provided
    >> guidance.
    >>

    >That will fix the Inbox, but all messages will be lost.

    Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
    instructions you guys have provided.

    Char Jackson, Jul 25, 2012
  9. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:19:02 -0700, "Bruce Hagen" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Char Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, you can.
    >>>
    >>> Hint: Exit OE, then use Windows Explorer to delete the inbox file. OE
    >>> will recreate it the next time you start it.
    >>>
    >>> You've been given very detailed instructions several times now. Maybe
    >>> it would help if you'd describe EXACTLY what you're doing so we can
    >>> see the exact step where you're failing to follow the provided
    >>> guidance.
    >>>

    >>That will fix the Inbox, but all messages will be lost.

    > Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
    > instructions you guys have provided.

    That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in VERY
    simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand them, but I
    will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!

    Alan

    Alan Holmes, Jul 26, 2012
  10. Alan Holmes

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    <snippage>

    >>>That will fix the Inbox, but all messages will be lost.

    >> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
    >> instructions you guys have provided.

    > That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in
    > VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand
    > them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
    >
    > Alan

    Two questions.

    1: What happened when you tried to create a new identity?

    2: Do you have any messages you need to save, or can you afford to lose
    them all.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, Jul 26, 2012
  11. Alan Holmes

    Bob F Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:
    > "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:19:02 -0700, "Bruce Hagen"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >>> That will fix the Inbox, but all messages will be lost.

    >> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
    >> instructions you guys have provided.

    > That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were
    > in VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to
    > understand them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!

    I'll go back to my question. It's very easy to accidentally delete the inbox.
    Are you sure you did not just delete the inbox, causing the problem?

    If you bring up OE, and a message shows up that you don't want, you hit delete.
    If the actual emeil you want to delete is not actually highlighted, the inbox
    still is, so the inbox gets deleted.

    Bob F, Jul 26, 2012
  12. Alan Holmes

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "Bob F" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Holmes wrote:
    >> "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >>> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
    >>> instructions you guys have provided.

    >> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were
    >> in VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to
    >> understand them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
    >>

    > I'll go back to my question. It's very easy to accidentally delete the
    > inbox. Are you sure you did not just delete the inbox, causing the
    > problem?
    >
    > If you bring up OE, and a message shows up that you don't want, you hit
    > delete. If the actual emeil you want to delete is not actually
    > highlighted, the inbox still is, so the inbox gets deleted.

    Not true. That only can happen for user created folders. The only way to
    delete a default folder is by deleting its corresponding dbx file in the
    message store.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, Jul 26, 2012
  13. Alan Holmes

    Paul Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:

    > That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in VERY
    > simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand them, but I
    > will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
    >
    > Alan

    If our instructions aren't helping, perhaps one of the web sites
    have the answer.

    http://www.codeconscious.com/outlook-express/corrupted-oe-inbox.html

    "Steps:

    1. Ensure OE6 is closed before starting.

    2. Create a folder c:\data and copy the entire contents of my
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\
    Identities\{YOUR_IDENTITY_STRING}\Microsoft\Outlook Express"
    to c:\data

    3. Rename C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\
    {YOUR_IDENTITY_STRING}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\inbox.dbx to inbox.dbx.old

    4. Start up OE6; it will create an empty Inbox and will show only one message
    "Welcome to Outlook Express 6".

    5. From the menu, open File->Import->Messages.
    Choose Outlook Express 6. Click Next.

    6. Choose Import mail from an OE6 Identity and select your identity
    (Mine was Main Identity). Click OK.

    7. Browse to the folder c:\data. Click Next.

    8. Choose Inbox. Click Next.

    9. Messages from your Inbox should appear in your new Inbox. Click Finished.
    "

    Now, as far as I'm concerned, if the old Inbox was corrupted, step 9 might
    not necessarily succeed. You may or may not get access to the old messages
    that were in the Inbox. But step 4 should have at least given you a
    working but empty Inbox. You would not attempt to fetch new mail, until
    *after* step 9, so that any new messages coming in, arrive in some
    kind of order.

    In Step 3, the file path there is pretty long, and it contains variable
    parts. For example "Owner" would be "AlanHolmes". And YOUR_IDENTITY_STRING
    is pretty random looking. It'll be a GUID something like {12345DF6-7C8F-654F-B1CF-F654321D1234}.
    To make it easier to find that folder, you can do a search for "inbox.dbx",
    and when the file search finds the file, right click on the file
    name and select "Open containing folder" from the right click
    context menu. That will get you to the folder a bit easier perhaps.
    Just make sure the Owner part of the path is "AlanHolmes" before
    deleting things or whatever :)

    Generally, you want to work non-destructively, not deleting
    anything until the job is done. As that makes it easier to
    backtrack if necessary.

    Now, if I look at the steps involved above:

    1. Closing the Outlook Express program with the X in the upper
    right hand corner, should do the job. You can also look in
    Task Manager, for msimn.exe and see if it is no longer running,
    under the Process tab.

    "The executable file for Outlook Express, msimn.exe, is a holdover
    from the Internet Mail and News era"

    2. Use the file search, and search for inbox.dbx.
    Perhaps that will help you find the folder with the inbox.dbx a
    little easier. Verify the path is correct, as there could be
    several user accounts on the same computer, and we only want
    to fix the AlanHolmes one.

    To create a new folder, you can open the C: drive first. Then,
    from the File menu, select New Folder and overtype the name field
    with "data" so that you end up with a C:\data folder to work with.

    My "Outlook Express" folder has four files in it, but yours could
    have more of them. That's what they want you to copy for safe
    keeping. Select whatever items are in the folder, then do "copy"
    from the menu. Move to the Explorer window showing C:\data and
    do "paste" from the menu. That way, you'll have copies of the files.

    Folders.dbx, Inbox.dbx, Offline.dbx, Outbox.dbx

    3. In this step, we're asked to rename inbox.dbx to inbox.dbx.old
    This is only going to work easily, if you have file extensions viewable.

    If you're in the Explorer (file manager thing), Tools : Folder Options : View
    gets you here. And unticking the "Hide extensions for known file types"
    box, will make the file extension visible, so you're better able
    to verify you've done the edit of the name properly.

    http://www.cadinternational.com/cad...view-hide-extensions-for-known-file-types.gif

    4. Starting OE is pretty easy.

    5. When doing File->Import->Messages , I assume you have to click
    or be in the new Inbox, for that to work. That is, unless this
    importation function is fixed to only work with the Inbox. You
    want your old Inbox messages, if they're available, to be copied
    into the new empty Inbox first seen in Step 4.

    The rest of the steps look OK.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 26, 2012
  14. Alan Holmes

    Bob F Guest

    Bruce Hagen wrote:
    > "Bob F" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan Holmes wrote:
    >>> "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >>> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were
    >>> in VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to
    >>> understand them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY
    >>> trying!

    >> I'll go back to my question. It's very easy to accidentally delete
    >> the inbox. Are you sure you did not just delete the inbox, causing
    >> the problem?
    >>
    >> If you bring up OE, and a message shows up that you don't want, you
    >> hit delete. If the actual emeil you want to delete is not actually
    >> highlighted, the inbox still is, so the inbox gets deleted.

    > Not true. That only can happen for user created folders. The only way
    > to delete a default folder is by deleting its corresponding dbx file
    > in the message store.

    Thanks for the correction. I never use the default mailbox, so I hadn't
    encountered the difference.

    Bob F, Jul 26, 2012
  15. Alan Holmes

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:45:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
    <> wrote:

    >>>"Char Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in VERY
    >simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand them, but I
    >will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!

    It's no crime to be 85 years old and not proficient with your
    computer, but we do politely ask that you tell us when our suggestions
    are confusing. Help us to help you.

    Char Jackson, Jul 26, 2012
  16. Alan Holmes

    Hot-Text Guest

    > I didn't give the right information before, so:-
    >
    > I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox emptied and
    > then I found I could not delete anything from any newsgroup at all, so the
    > whole thing has seized up.

    Tried to delete an email or a News message..
    If a News message you need to reset newsgroup by,

    Right Hand Click on the newsgroup,
    Click on Properties,
    Click Tab Local File,
    Click Reset..

    This will delete all header and message bodies
    and will reset the folder so that headers will be re-downloaded

    Hot-Text, Jul 28, 2012
  17. Alan Holmes

    > <snippage>
    >
    > "Alan Holmes" <> wrote in message

    >>> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
    >>> instructions you guys have provided.

    >> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in
    >> VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand
    >> them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
    >>
    >> Alan
    >>

    > Two questions.
    >
    > 1: What happened when you tried to create a new identity?

    It kept rejecting the password, clearly I was not aware that I could not
    chose the password!

    > 2: Do you have any messages you need to save, or can you afford to lose
    > them all.

    I would like to keep them all as I have not put them in another folder, I
    shall not make that mistake again.

    When I have a new account set up I will post again to find out how to
    recover the original emails.

    Alan

    Alan Holmes, Aug 1, 2012