trendnet tw1010-s4w1ca/as

Reaction score
Hello,

i have been having issues lately with my router and would like some help.
I have a trendnet tw1010-s4w1ca/as router that i am using to network internet to three devices 3 windows 7 pcs and a gaming console. I have had this wired network set up for about 3-4 months and it has been working great until now. just recently it stared dropping internet so then i would go reset it and it would work for about a day and then i would have to do it again but now resetting doesnt even work most of the time and when it does it only last for like 5 mins so out of desperation i tried the windows internet troubleshooter and i got an error message that says the dns server has stopped responding.

So my question is what is this error message? and how does a dns server stop responding? also what is causing my router to do this so suddenly? Did my router bite the dust? if not how do i fix this?

P.S, I know its my router causing the problems because when i take it out of the loop or plug in a new one it works fine.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
So my question is what is this error message? and how does a dns server stop responding? also what is causing my router to do this so suddenly? Did my router bite the dust? if not how do i fix this?

DNS = Domain Naming System. It's what makes the Internets work. Roughly speaking. You type in www.websiteaddressname.com and press enter. Your machine sends a request to your internets service provider (ISP). Your ISP has a computer that stores www names and the relational IP addresses used on the network to identify the computers on the network.

Unless you are the inventor of the Internets, your DNS server is a relay. Your modem can act as a DNS server, as can your router. If your router has been configured to be the DNS server, the request is answered. If the router knows who www.websiteaddressname.com is, then it will tell you. Otherwise, it forwards it to the ISP DNS server. If that server doesn't know, it forwards to it's DNS server. And so on, and so on until you get to www.websiteaddressname.com.

If the request takes too long, then page cannot be displayed is what you see.

P.S, I know its my router causing the problems because when i take it out of the loop or plug in a new one it works fine.

There is your answer. Your router probably failed. I have had my fair share of routers do this. Home devices are cheaply made and are subject to this type of failure. In my experience, Netgear and DLink Home routers are usually the worst. But this is my opinion and not fact.

If you connect your machine directly to the modem, you can rule out the machine and the router. If you replaced the router and there are no more issues, leave that one in place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow I quite like Netgear stuff actually :)

Anyway

As for it maybe being a router problem try looking for an update for the firmware?

Reaction score
well i tried updating the firmware of it and no luck. Is there anything else i can try? I ruled out the modem and the cables and the computer so that means it would have to be the router, Right? Well that really sucks if the router is broken. What would make a router just die like that? I ,mean with other things when something breaks its because its old and had a lot of use or because something broke down, but with router its just a circuit board with a few chips on it, there are no moving parts or even any cables to break down. so how does it just break? ive only had for a few months.Any way i guess I just don't understand how something it would break.

Well before i go out and spend 50 bucks on another piece of plastic is there anything else i can try?

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it =)

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If you have run the firmware update, that's about it. You could try to use different ports on the router, but if the wireless circuit is faulty then that is not an option.

What can make a router die like that? Cheap parts being used in manufacturing. There are as many reasons as there are tiny little parts in the device.

Ask a Question