Travel and absence calendar

laura

I wonder if anyone can offer me a few suggestions on how I might go about
designing a travel and absence list/calendar. Perhaps someone has already
written a program to do this and can let me have some code to work on, or if
anyone knows of software out there that might do what I need.

Basically I want to write a program that keeps track of about 200 employees,
where they are when travelling or what days they take as holidays.

I want it to look a bit like a spreadsheet.

I want to be able to show just Monday through to Friday, not weekends.

I want the top of the spreadsheet column titles to be the date, i.e., as an
example, for this week in November:-

"Employee Name" "Monday 15" "Tuesday 16" "Wednesday 17" "Thursday
18" "Friday 19" "Monday 22"...etc.
J. Smith holiday
holiday holiday
M. Jones Paris Munich
P. Brown holiday holiday

The way I want to be able to display the information, which will be set out
as above, is on a monthly basis where they can pick any month of any year
and display the grid.

Data entry will probably be via a form where they can pick the Employee from
a list and select their name, then enter the trip or holiday date, and trip
destination.

So far I have come up with two small tables,
tblEmployee with EmplID, Fname, Sname
tblEvent with EventID, EmplID, Event, Date. (Event of course will either
be the destination or 'holiday').

It should be fairly simple, but from those two small tables, I cannot figure
out a way of creating a "Calendar" which is going to be the top row of my
Spreadsheet/grid (as illustrated above), which is going to be infinite - in
other words, this year, next year, the year after.. etc.. whatever year they
wish into the future. Sort of like a timeline - although I think I would
like to limit them to viewing one month at a time rather than being able to
scroll infinitely left and right.

I hope this is not too confusing and that someone might have a bright idea
to push me forward - I have being laying awake at night wondering how to do
it. I do not know if it should be run from a query or whether I need to
create a table with every day of every year preset - or whether it should
all be somehow "virtual".

Thanks
Laura TD

PC Datasheet

Laura,

I can create a travel and absence list/calendar for you. You will be able
to pick any month of any year and for any day Monday through Friday of the
selected month show who is on a trip and where and who is on vacation.
Contact me at my email address below if you would like my help.

--
PC Datasheet
Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications

laura

Dear Mr. Santus,

Thank you for your reply.

I was a little surprised that you were not prepared to help me in the manner
in which everyone on the forum does, 'free of charge' and thought that that
was why you wanted me to write to your directly. If I had wanted to pay
someone I could have mentioned it in my request for assistance. I am there
to learn and am struggling completely on my own to do so.

If I had had to pay someone for every bit of assistance I have had on that
forum, I would now be poor. I am so very grateful to everyone, no matter how
much or how little help they have given me, for that help and will forever
be indebpted to them for helping to me to progress, even if very slowly. I
have learned a lot on the way too and a lot of people generously help each
other without requesting payment.

A lot of work that I do is for charities - of no profit to myself. I was
very excited to see your offer of help, but then very disappointed this
morning to find you wanted to be paid for it. I think that kind of defeats
the purpose of the forum. I will post this message on there too so that
others can be aware, in case you lift their hopes as well.

Thanks
Laura