Today I learned...

Reaction score
I think we have all learned on this subject many things which we did not know. Goes to show what a great tool the Internet, personal and collective knowledge is.:bow::cheers::thumb::nod:Great stuff everyone and keep it coming.:wave::wave::wave:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Today I learned that scientists can locate colonies of Penguins from space just by looking for dark ice patches of penguin poop. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Today I learned:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/01/vera-caslavska-obituary

She ended her life with an embarrassment of honours, including the Olympic Order, the Pierre de Coubertin Fair Play prize and the Czech Order of Merit; but she wore her past glories lightly. One friend, the publisher Tomáš Dimter, was surprised to find no trace of her achievements when he first visited her house. “When I asked her where all her medals were, she just waved her hand and pointed to a wooden shed in her garden. There were hundreds of medals and trophies, secured with a simple latch.”

She remained a woman of stubborn principle, speaking out on behalf of refugees. “She was a lifelong fighter,” said her friend Karel Engel, a former Olympic wrestler. “She never reconciled herself with injustice.”

Reaction score
....that you got to be strong and tough to make your way through the up otherwise there will be many people along the way to bring you down.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Today I learned that Uranus, which was discovered in 1781 by William Herschel, is the only planet named after someone from Greek mythology. Uranus is named after the ancient Greek deity of the sky but before the name was universally accepted, some 70 years later, Herschel decided to name the object "George's Star", or the "Georgian Planet" in honour of his patron, King George III.

It had been observed before 1781 but was thought to be a star. Herschel confirmed that it orbited the sun. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Today I learned that trying to get Docker up and running on the Pi is no easy thing to do. :cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Today I learned that you can make a tiny 'rocket engine' from pasta, yeast, and hydrogen peroxide:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Today I learned that the collective noun for cockroaches is an intrusion. :eek:

Sounds sort of appropriate somehow. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Today I learned... a new word!

New to me, that is. "Ambisinister" means "clumsy or unskillful with both hands" ... who knew? :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score

New to me, that is. "Ambisinister" means "clumsy or unskillful with both hands" ... who knew? :D

I certainly didn't. :D

It's obviously the opposite of ambidextrous. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Today I learned how to bleed the Avid hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score

Never knew that! So looking at the etymology here, ambisinister means 'both sides left-handed' and ambidextrous means 'both side right-handed'. As a lefty, I object! :eek: :p

Ask a Question