Windows XP Titlebar see through for all windows and text overwrites the title

Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody have any idea why this occurs.
All windows XP from Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Notepad, MS Access 97 all have the standard dark blue colour missing and the text is over written. It may be that the text from the previously active windows titlebar actually gets copied over the title bar of the next active window! See the attached image which shows notepad open with the text "Internet explorer" amoungst other things in it.
If I ALT+CTRL+DEL and then cancel the blue comes back for all open windows and the text is readable, ie. normal until the window is moved over the top of thi fixed one or a new one opened.
The desktop of other windows under a see-through title bar is also somehow copied when the window moves.

I would like to know if it is fixed by any particular windows update or if it is caused by some rouge piece of software clobbering windows dll's

My preferred fix would be to install/re-install/uninstall something, but I don't know what to target first. I'm sure a full OS re-install would almost certainly fix the issue but it is a work computer and there are administrative issue when going there.

Attachments

• notepad.PNG
    notepad.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 131

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you installed any theming tools in XP, or have anything special loading on startup? It might be worth updating your graphics drivers and see if that has any effect.

Reaction score
No fancy theming at all

No there are no theme changing tool used. Thats why the see through titlebars are a bit of a shock. It is a work computer and scripts run at login. It may be something that has been forcefully installed for me, but I would like to determine what it is. I may be able to stop it myself then or report the issue to the support desk but frankly I'm sure they will request a entire Windows re-install if I complain.

Reaction score
Solved

nVidia 6100 drivers were broken. Had to install non nVidia video drivers and then re-install the correct ones. I tried just updating the drivers but the broken dll's just stayed there. It needed some other vendors drivers to clobber the dll's first!

Ask a Question