The specified network name is nolonger available

notebookaa:
-a:
Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.11] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
DESKTOP1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
DESKTOP1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~DESKTOP1......<00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
MAC Address = 00-10-DC-D4-AD-86
-A:
Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.11] Scope Id: []
DESKTOP1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
DESKTOP1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~DESKTOP1......<00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
MAC Address = 00-10-DC-D4-AD-86
On DESKTOP1:
-a
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.13] Scope Id: []
NOTEBOOKAA <00> UNIQUE Registered
NOTEBOOKAA <03> UNIQUE Registered
NTDOMAIN <00> GROUP Registered
NTDOMAIN <1E> GROUP Registered
NOTEBOOKAA <20> UNIQUE Registered
NOTEBOOKAA $ <03> UNIQUE Registered
ADMINISTRATOR <03> UNIQUE Registered
NTDOMAIN <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
MAC Address = 00-10-A4-8A-BB-8E
-----------------------------------
-A:
---------------------------------

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.13] Scope Id: []
NOTEBOOKAA <00> UNIQUE Registered
NOTEBOOKAA <03> UNIQUE Registered
NTDOMAIN <00> GROUP Registered
NTDOMAIN <1E> GROUP Registered
NOTEBOOKAA <20> UNIQUE Registered
NOTEBOOKAA$ <03> UNIQUE Registered
ADMINISTRATOR <03> UNIQUE Registered
NTDOMAIN <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
MAC Address = 00-10-A4-8A-BB-8E

Does it provide you any clue?

Roland Hall

<aa> wrote in message : Roland,
: We seem to be going in circles - ipcongig /all is what we started with, I
: posted the ipconfig and nobody reported any wrong in it.
: Unfortunately the beginning of the thread has been deleted.
: OK, Repetition is the Mother of Learning, here it goes:
:
: on NOTEBOOKAA:
: Windows 2000 IP Configuration
: Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NOTEBOOKAA
: Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : NTDOMAIN.co.uk
: Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
: IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
: WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
: DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : NTDOMAIN.co.uk
: co.uk
: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
: Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Xircom CardBus Ethernet II 10/100
: Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-A4-8A-BB-8E
: DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
: IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
: Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
: Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
: DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
: 194.98.0.1
:
: On DESKTOP1:
:
: Windows 2000 IP Configuration
: Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP1
: Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
: Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
: IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
: WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
: Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter
: Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D4-AD-86
: DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
: IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13
: Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
: Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
: DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
: 194.98.0.1

I hate to disagree with you but you have never provided them. You have
stated they were the same but you never posted them as you have now. I can
see all the way back to the beginning of the thread.

Now that you have, I have questions.

Why does your DNS have the primary DNS set to 192.168.0.1? Isn't that your
router? If your router passed DNS information from your ISP, it would pass
its address, it would not become a DNS relay. Also, if 194.98.0.1 is your
ISPs DNS server, then it doesn't know anything about your private network.

If your network settings are set to use your LMHOSTS file, then you need to
list your computers in there and then issue:
nbtstat -R
(R must be uppercase)
Then type in:
nbtstat -c
This shows what is in your cache and should show your entries you just made
for your workstations. If it doesn't, then you didn't do it right. We need
to see the results.

Why is your Primary DNS Suffix and DNS Suffix search list using
NTDOMAIN.co.uk?
You are manually setting your IP, instead of using DHCP, and you have one
node type set to mixed and one set to broadcast. Unless you're running
WINS, I do not see a need for mixed, and then it should be hybrid.

I think there is something not correct in the LMHOSTS files.

On notebookaa: IP: 11
You show:
desktop1: IP 13
desktop2: IP 12

On desktop1: IP: 13
You show:
desktop1: IP 12
notebookaa: IP: 11

Why does desktop1 show 12, which should be desktop2 and now reference
desktop2?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

aa

Thanks, Roland

1. I hate to disagree with you. I can see all the way back to the beginning
of the thread.

Nothing wrong about disagreeing in a discussion group. If you can see all
the way back to the beginning of the thread, please have a look at my post
of 06.03.2004 11:31
In this post I according to your request, sent ipconfig /all
You certainly saw it as in that very post I also gave my LMHOSTS to which
you refer now. BTW there is not inconsistencies there - please have a look
again.

2. Why does your DNS have the primary DNS set to 192.168.0.1? Isn't that
your router?

Yes it is - I also mentioned it earlier when explained my setup.

3. If your router passed DNS information from your ISP, it would pass its
address, it would not become a DNS relay.

Is this wrong? If it is, how should I set it?

4. Also, if 194.98.0.1 is your ISPs DNS server, then it doesn't know
anything about your private network.

Should not it be like that?
Is this relevant to my problem about "The specified network name is nolonger
available" ?

5. Why is your Primary DNS Suffix and DNS Suffix search list using
NTDOMAIN.co.uk?

As I mention my notebook, which shows these readings, is set up to be part
of my office domain based network. I reckon that Suffix has something to do
with this.

6. You are manually setting your IP, instead of using DHCP, and you have
one
node type set to mixed and one set to broadcast. Unless you're running
WINS, I do not see a need for mixed, and then it should be hybrid.

As I mentioned, my LAN is made of w2kPro only, hence there is no WINS. I did
not set these nods and I have no idea why they show up like that. Earlier I
asked how do I change mixed to hybrid - will you tell me?

7. nbtstat -c - please see my post of 09/03/2004 14:02 in this same thread.

I run nbtstat -R and then nbtstat -c - it returns the same as before.

Roland Hall

in message : Thanks, Roland
:
: 1. I hate to disagree with you. I can see all the way back to the
beginning
: of the thread.
:
: Nothing wrong about disagreeing in a discussion group. If you can see all
: the way back to the beginning of the thread, please have a look at my post
: of 06.03.2004 11:31
: In this post I according to your request, sent ipconfig /all
: You certainly saw it as in that very post I also gave my LMHOSTS to which
: you refer now. BTW there is not inconsistencies there - please have a look
: again.

Since you're in the UK, I assume 06 is the day and 03 is the month and also
since we have not reached June yet this year. I do not show any posts on
March 06, 2004 but I show the first post on Feb. 23, 2004. I guess that
would explain why I don't see them. If I did respond to that message then
that response is also missing. This also means I cannot see what is in your
LMHOSTS file since it was in the same message. I have no answer why I do
not see it.

I first posted to you on Feb. 28 but got no response. I then posted on Mar.
04 and did get a response. I show nothing for Mar. 05-08. I wonder how
many other posts I'm missing.

: 2. Why does your DNS have the primary DNS set to 192.168.0.1? Isn't that
: your router?
:
: Yes it is - I also mentioned it earlier when explained my setup.

If your router does not offer DNS services, then you should not point your
Primary DNS to your router. If you do not have a server, then you need to
point only to your ISPs Primary/Secondary DNS servers. You will then want
to use HOSTS and LMHOSTS files for your workstations and specifying their
private IPs.

: 3. If your router passed DNS information from your ISP, it would pass
its
: address, it would not become a DNS relay.
:
: Is this wrong? If it is, how should I set it?

Normally you set your router's DNS properties to your ISP's DNS server(s).
If you do not have a server, especially W2K or above, then you let your
router serve as a DHCP server also. Most SOHO routers today offer this.
Set your DHCP scope on the router and set the workstations so that they
obtain their IP address and DNS automatically. The router will then provide
that to them.

Since you do not have a server, or DNS server, you can use LMHOSTS for
NetBIOS and HOSTS for IP naming for your PRIVATE network.

: 4. Also, if 194.98.0.1 is your ISPs DNS server, then it doesn't know
: anything about your private network.
:
: Should not it be like that?

This should be set in your router and let it pass to your clients but since
you're not using DHCP from the router, it's probably not passing the DNS
information to your clients.

: Is this relevant to my problem about "The specified network name is
nolonger
: available" ?

Yes and no. You need to use HOSTS and LMHOSTS to solve private issues
(local subnet) and use the ISPs DNS servers for naming on the Internet.

: 5. Why is your Primary DNS Suffix and DNS Suffix search list using
: NTDOMAIN.co.uk?
:
: As I mention my notebook, which shows these readings, is set up to be part
: of my office domain based network. I reckon that Suffix has something to
do
: with this.

This is what is will use if you do not provide a suffix when calling for one
of the clients by name. In searching, it will use in order, anything listed
in the suffic search order.

: 6. You are manually setting your IP, instead of using DHCP, and you have
: one
: > node type set to mixed and one set to broadcast. Unless you're running
: > WINS, I do not see a need for mixed, and then it should be hybrid.
:
: As I mentioned, my LAN is made of w2kPro only, hence there is no WINS. I
did
: not set these nods and I have no idea why they show up like that. Earlier
: asked how do I change mixed to hybrid - will you tell me?

I'm not sure how to do this on a client since I've only set nodes via DHCP.
Your router probably doesn't offer that.
Ok, here is a document that shows how you can modify it in the registry.
While Mixed means b-node first and then p-node, b-node is all you need and
may not be an issue here.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;167640

: 7. nbtstat -c - please see my post of 09/03/2004 14:02 in this same
thread.
:
: I run nbtstat -R and then nbtstat -c - it returns the same as before.

nbtstat -R purges and preloads the entries in the LMHOSTS file with PRE into
cache. Cache is always checked first, even with WINS. Entries in your
HOSTS file can conflict with entries in your LMHOSTS file.

If you have not made any changes in your LMHOSTS file, running: nbtstat -R
is pointless. The only reason you would issue this command is because you
have made changes to the LMHOSTS file and do not want to have to reboot to
get the changes into cache.

However, your cache is NOT correct. Where did DESKTOP2 come from if you
only have 2 computers, one laptop, one desktop? Also, this is in your
cache, so can you please post your LMHOSTS and HOSTS for each computer again
since I did not get the message where you did that?

You obviously have a conflict because DESKTOP1 and DESKTOP2 cannot have the
same IP but one LMHOSTS file says it is 12 and one says it is 13.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

aa

1. Since you're in the UK, I assume 06 is the day and 03 is the month and
also since we have not reached June yet this year

I would not even think about attempting to beat such a water tight logic!
Perhaps only make sure that 11:31 means 11 hours 31 min, not 31 hours 11
min.

2. You are absolutely right about the inconsisteny with which messages in MS
group are shown. On my three computers I see different sets of messages and
often do not see even my own.

3.Below are the hosts and lmhosts files and ipconfig.
Because I added the third w2k pro (destop2) in order to make sure that the
fault is not with a particular computer, I copy here data on that desktp2.
However I have similar behavour on any pair: desktop1-desktop2;
desktop1-notebook or desktop2-notebook. For the moment desktop2 is off so
you probably do not need to consider its data.

HOSTS
on the notebook (it is configured for office domain network):
10.2.1.63 ntexchange
10.2.1.5 ntserver
10.2.1.249 ntserverwrg

on the destop1 and on desktop2:
127.0.0.1 localhost (I guess you do not need the lines commented out with
# )

LMHOSTS

on the notebook:
192.168.0.13 desktop1 #PRE
192.168.0.12 desktop2 #PRE

on the desktop1:
192.168.0.11 notebookaa #PRE
192.168.0.12 desktop2 #PRE

on the desktop2:
192.168.0.11 notebookaa #PRE
192.168.0.13 desktop1 #PRE

IPCONFIG /ALL:
on the notebook:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : notebookaa
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : NTDOMAIN.co.uk
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : NTDOMAIN.co.uk
co.uk
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Xircom CardBus Ethernet II 10/100
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-A4-8A-BB-8E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
194.98.0.1
on the Destop1:
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : desktop1:
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes (note that I cannot disable
this, dispite I posted this question here)
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D4-AD-86
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
194.98.0.1

destop2:
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : desktop2
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-CA-16-CE-BB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
194.72.9.38

Matt Hickman

-a:
Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.11] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
DESKTOP1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
DESKTOP1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~DESKTOP1......<00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
MAC Address = 00-10-DC-D4-AD-86

Running the command
nbstat -a DESKTOP1
from notebookaa tells notebookaa to display the registered Netbios
on the computer with the name DESKTOP1

It demonstrates two things:
1. That notebookaa can access DESKTOP1 using the netbios computername
2. That Destop1 is registering its names on the adapter

DESKTOP1
nbstat -c
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.13] Scope Id: []
DESKTOP1 <03> UNIQUE 192.168.0.12 -1
DESKTOP1 <00> UNIQUE 192.168.0.12 -1
DESKTOP1 <20> UNIQUE 192.168.0.12 -1
NOTEBOOKAA <03> UNIQUE 192.168.0.11 -1
NOTEBOOKAA <00> UNIQUE 192.168.0.11 -1
NOTEBOOKAA <20> UNIQUE 192.168.0.11 -1

Shows that DESKTOP1 is incorrectly loading its own
IP address into cache -- it is using DESKTOP2's IP address.
The -1 seems to indicate it is coming from the LMHOSTS

LMHOSTS

on the desktop1:
192.168.0.11 notebookaa #PRE
192.168.0.12 desktop2 #PRE

But I am not seeing an entry in DESKTOP1's LMHOSTS file
that would cause this bad IP address

nbstat -s
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.13] Scope Id: []
No Connections

Shows that DESKTOP1 is not establishing any listening
sessions on the adapter. This might be because it
thinks there is another DESKTOP1 on the network which prevented
it from opening a session for listening.

I suggest renaming your LMHOSTS files and doing a nbtstat -R
to reload the cache, then checking nbstat -s and nbtstat -s again.

Roland Hall

in message : 2. You are absolutely right about the inconsisteny with which messages in
MS
: group are shown. On my three computers I see different sets of messages
and
: often do not see even my own.

BTW... the messages I was missing now show up as new! *throws hands in the
air*

: 3.Below are the hosts and lmhosts files and ipconfig.
: Because I added the third w2k pro (destop2) in order to make sure that the
: fault is not with a particular computer, I copy here data on that desktp2.
: However I have similar behavour on any pair: desktop1-desktop2;
: desktop1-notebook or desktop2-notebook. For the moment desktop2 is off so
: you probably do not need to consider its data.
:
: HOSTS
: on the notebook (it is configured for office domain network):
: 10.2.1.63 ntexchange
: 10.2.1.5 ntserver
: 10.2.1.249 ntserverwrg
:
: on the destop1 and on desktop2:
: 127.0.0.1 localhost (I guess you do not need the lines commented out with
: # )
:
: LMHOSTS
:
: on the notebook:
: 192.168.0.13 desktop1 #PRE
: 192.168.0.12 desktop2 #PRE
:
: on the desktop1:
: 192.168.0.11 notebookaa #PRE
: 192.168.0.12 desktop2 #PRE

This doesn't match what you posted earlier for your Desktop1 cache:

DESKTOP1
nbstat -c
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.13] Scope Id: []
DESKTOP1 <03> UNIQUE 192.168.0.12 -1
DESKTOP1 <00> UNIQUE 192.168.0.12 -1
DESKTOP1 <20> UNIQUE 192.168.0.12 -1
NOTEBOOKAA <03> UNIQUE 192.168.0.11 -1
NOTEBOOKAA <00> UNIQUE 192.168.0.11 -1
NOTEBOOKAA <20> UNIQUE 192.168.0.11 -1

Is it possible this was the Desktop2 cache? If it is, it is still in
conflict. This says that Desktop1 is IP 13, but the cache says 12 and that
is Desktop2. But what you show in Desktop1 LMHOSTS shows desktop2 which is
not even listed here!

: on the desktop2:
: 192.168.0.11 notebookaa #PRE
: 192.168.0.13 desktop1 #PRE
:
: IPCONFIG /ALL:
: on the notebook:
[...]
: IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.12
: Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
: Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
: DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
: 194.72.9.38

I have a few more questions:

1. Why do you have information regarding a 10.x.x.x IP domain listed in the
laptop?
2. Which computer cannot see another which you have problems?
Desktop1->laptop, laptop->Desktop1 or both?
3. Why are you not using DHCP on your private network and on the 10.x.x.x
network? Are modifying the IP address each time you move the notebook from
one network to another?

If you set the desktop1, 2 and notebook to obtain their addresses
automatically, DNS too, what happens? Is the router set to provide this
information? If so, you only need information in the LMHOSTS for the local
computers.

4. Do you logon to a workgroup or domain when you're in the 10.x.x.x
network?
5. If #4 is domain, are you logging into the workgroup or logging into the
domain with a cached account when you're on the 192.168.x.x network?
6. Do you have a different hardware profile for the domain and the
workgroup?

Whatever you do, you need to modify the Primary DNS for all workstations.
Pointing the PDNS to the router is incorrect.