The specified network name is nolonger available

aa

In my w2k1-router-w2k2 network I can access files from one w2k on another
for some time and then suddenly next attempts result into an error:

\\ComputerName\folderName
The specified network name is nolonger available

I have to reboot both computers and then same situation repeats.

What do I do about it?

Steven L Umbach

It could be a name resolution problem across the router. Try using ip address instead
of name such as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share. If that helps you may want to add an entry
to the hosts file on each computer for the other computer. If that does not help you
may be having network connectivity problems of some sort. Netstat -s may help by
showing if there are excessive errors or retransmissions. --- Steve

Thanks.

1. Try using ip address instead of name such as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share.

Where and how do I do it? it is not me who uses the above name. It is used
automatically.
All I do is expand MyNetwork Plases, then expand the computrer name which
shows me the list of folders shares. When I click on a folder, I get this
error.

2. I run netstat -s and it retured the following (I ommit all lines which
=0) - What conclusions can you draw from it?

IP Statistics
Packets Received = 14581
Received Packets Delivered = 14581
Output Requests = 12716

ICMP Statistics
Received Sent
Messages 0 2
Echos 0 2

TCP Statistics
Active Opens = 21
Passive Opens = 2
Failed Connection Attempts = 8
Reset Connections = 5
Current Connections = 4
Segments Received = 14070
Segments Sent = 12409
Segments Retransmitted = 19

UDP Statistics
Datagrams Received = 506
No Ports = 5
Receive Errors = 0
Datagrams Sent = 276

Roland Hall

<aa> wrote in message : Thanks.
:
[...]

What are your DNS settings? Can you show ipconfig /all results?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Matt Hickman

Steven L Umbach said:
It could be a name resolution problem across the router. Try using ip address instead
of name such as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share. If that helps you may want to add an entry
to the hosts file on each computer for the other computer.

The "computername" in \\computername\foldername may be interpreted
as a netbios name rather than a native IP host name. Wouldn't the
service try WINS first, in this case?

If you can get there using a FQDN or IP address in place of the
computername, You can be fairly sure it is a WINS issue. You might
also be able to use a LMHOSTS file entry to get aound it as well.

aa

Thanks, Matt

1. I still do not understand "Try using ip address instead of name..." -
where exactly I am supposed to use it?

2. The "computername" in \\computername\foldername may be interpreted as a
netbios name rather than a native IP host name

The "computername" which shows up in this error message, is indeed a netbios
name which was assigned to this computer during w2k installation. The
computer responses to this name when I ping it with ping computername from
another computer.

What is IP host name and how do I set it?

3. Wouldn't the service try WINS first, in this case? ...You can be fairly
sure it is a WINS issue

In a next door thread I was told that WINS is installed on w2k server. I
have w2k pro. WINS address is left empty in TCP/IP properties - do you think
it still can be a WINS issue?

4. You might also be able to use a LMHOSTS file entry to get aound it as
well

I have a LMHOSTS file with this "computername" entry and TCP/IP is set to
look up it.

5. If you can get there using a FQDN or IP address in place of the
computername

Where and how exactly I use a FQDN or IP address in place of the
computername ?

Steven L Umbach

You would have to find the IP address of the server offering the share by either
running ipconfig /all on it or trying to ping it by name which if successful will
show the ip address. Them enter the unc address in the run box to see if it brings up
the share. If the IP address is 192.168.1.55 enter \\192.168.1.55\sharename [using
actual sharename you are trying to access] in the run box.

Netstat -s output looks OK in not indicating a lot of errors or retransmits, but it
does show 8 failed connection attempts which may indicate a network connectivity
problem to the server offering the share. Pinging the server by IP address will rule
that out a "basic" network connectivity problem. --- Steve

Steven L Umbach

It is hard to say how the name is resolved, but successfully using an IP address will
prove network connectivity and show a problem with name resolution of some sort. I
have found to tell how a name is resolved can be determined by ipconfig /displaydns,
nbtstat -r, or using Netmon packet sniffer to watch the packet exchange sequence [if
any]. No packet activity would indicate that cached names/hosts/lmhosts files are
being used and of course a bad entry in hosts/lmhosts can cause name resolution to
fail. I am not 100 percent sure if the name resolution process works exactly the same
on a domain machine versus a non domain machine. W2K generally is supposed to use
host name resolution first. Even if the name is not a FQDN, I believe it will append
the domain name [that the domain machine belongs to] to the name and send it to dns.
If the machine is not a member of a domain, it may handle it different depending on
how it is configured, but Netmon or another packet sniffer should help in determining
the sequence. --- Steve

Steven L Umbach

I should add [you probably know] that whatever name resolution method is used first,
if it fails to find an name/IP mapping it will try the other name resolution method
also. However if an name/IP mapping is found on the first name resolution attempt,
and that mapping is bad [wrong IP address in dns zone, wins database, hosts or
lmhosts file], then the name resolution process will stop and the connection will
fail. --- Steve

Matt Hickman said:
"Steven L Umbach" <[email protected]> wrote in message

The "computername" in \\computername\foldername may be interpreted
as a netbios name rather than a native IP host name. Wouldn't the
service try WINS first, in this case?

If you can get there using a FQDN or IP address in place of the
computername, You can be fairly sure it is a WINS issue. You might
also be able to use a LMHOSTS file entry to get aound it as well.

aa

Thanks, Steven,
I think we are onti something.
1. Indeed when I use \\IPaddress\sharename in the Start-Run, I am getting
Internet Explorer which shown the contents of the sharename folder and I can
browse and open files in it.

If I click on the same folder in My network
Places -->...ComputerName -->sharename I am getting
"The specifed network name no longer available"

2 However if I run in the run box \\ComputerName\sharename it still works -
does that mean the the ptoblem is still with the name resolution?

3. I would like to stress NO LONGER in the error message.
Ideed, I often have it working, i.e. the name IS available. And suddenly it
becomes no longer available.

4. I ping ComputerName on which that \\ComputerName\sharename becomes
unavailable, and it pings OK.

What would be your comments?

Steven L Umbach said:
[...]

add
an entry does
not help you may
help by

Steven L Umbach

My guess [not knowing much about your setup] is that you have a netbios name
resolution problem. When you click shares in My Network Places, you are using netbios
name resolution and if you are not using wins on your network then you are using
broadcasts to find computers. Broadcasting can be unreliable and should be used only
in the smallest networks. When you enter \\computername\sharename , your computers
are probably using dns/host name resolution to find the other computers and seems to
work reliably. To fix the problem, try using wins on your network with one wins
server on each subnet that are replication partners and also wins clients to just
themselves. You also could have a problem with your master browser changing
frequently, which can cause network browsing problems. In a domain the pdc fsmo
domain controller is the domain master browser and must not also be a ras server or
be multihomed or browsing can fail. It would also need to be a wins client. Another
solution, depending on the size of your network would be to create entries in the
lmhost files for computers offering shares. I would test that on one machine to see
if it helps as described in the last link See the links below on troubleshooting
browse problems and using lmhosts. -- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;188305
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../server/reskit/en-us/tcpip/part4/tcpappi.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;150800

Steven L Umbach said:
[...]

Thanks, Steven
I will look at those Microsoft resources. Meanwhile:

1. "My guess [not knowing much about your setup] is that you have a netbios
name resolution problem"

What details of my setup you need to turn the guess into a fact?

2. "Broadcasting can be unreliable and should be used only in the smallest
networks".

I have THE SMALLIEST network of w2kPro - router - w2kPro (both w2k are on
the same subnet. Router is used instead of a switch to get Internet
connection).
Earlier I had DHCP enabled with the same problem "name nolonger available".
Now to eliminate possible culprit, I disabled DHCP and set IP adresses and
the subnet mask manually.

I also added another w2kPro and set to to Workgroup just to see if the
problem is caused by the laptop which is on Domain. The problem persisted.

3. "To fix the problem, try using wins"

I understand to use WINS I need to upgrade to w2k Server - is this correct?
If it is, then it seems to be an overkill, and the result is still not
certain. If it is not, how do I use WINS on w2kPro - router - w2kPro

4. create entries in the lmhost files for computers offering shares

I have been having these files from the very beginning.

5. What might happen to a network name? Obviously I have it and then it just
becomes unavailable. I understand, that whatever method is used for name
resolution, the result is cached. And then this cache seems to get
corrupted?

<aa> wrote in message Thanks.

[...]

OK. From your original post I assumed a larger network because you indicated
a "router" between the computers. From what you describe you have a small
network of a few computers on the same subnet connecting to the internet
through a NAT/router - big difference. Broadcasting should work fine for a
few computers on the same network. I would run ipconfig /all at the command
prompt on all your computers to make sure they are on the same
network/subnet mask. The first three octets of the IP address should be the
same assuming a class c network with the same subnet mask such as
xxx.xxx.xxx.123 where the 123 would be unique on each computer [but not 0 or
255 and the defult gateway is usually 1]. My network for example is
192.168.1.xxx with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. Wins will not be needed and
does require a server.

Verify that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on all computer in tcp/ip
properties/advanced/wins. Use only one network protocol on all computers -
tcp/ip and remove netbeui if found and that the workgroup names are the same
and that the computer names are unique and less than 16 characters. I would
also run netdiag on all the computers looking for any failed tests that may
give a clue. Netdiag is located in the install cd under the support/tools
folder where you will need to run the setup program there to install them.
Also check Event Viewer on all your computers looking for any pertinent
errors, especially ones that report an issue with the "master browser".
Check your lmhosts file to make sure there are no bad entries in it for
computers on your lan. The browse list in My Network Places does not update
immediately and can take over an hour to be correct [searching for the
computer may help as will deleting old shares displayed if possible], so
give it some time especially if computers are started and shut down
frequently and always shut down a computer correctly and not just hit the
power switch. It is also possible you have a flaky network card that may
need to be replaced and check the properties on your network adapters to
make sure they are set at a common network speed such as 100 instead of
using auto. Browsing issues can be tough to track down as it is a "behind
the scenes" operation and in a workgroup the master browser can change
often. Often creating a network shortcut or mapping a drive is a better
option, possibly using static IP addresses on your computers and using the
IP address in the shortcut/mapping. --- Steve

Steven L Umbach said:
[...]

suddenly
share

<aa> wrote in message Thanks.

[...]

1. The PCs' addresses are 192.168.0.11, 12 and 13
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

2. All the IPCONFIG return identical data exept the host name, IP addresses
and NIC details

3. One computer for some reasom returns
IP routing enabled yes
althought in Admin tools-services it is shown as disabled - I posted a
separate query about that, but so far bo feedback

4. All TCP/IP properties on all the three PCs are absolutely identical
(except the IP addresses) including
netbios over tcp/ip - enabled.

5. workgroup names are the same and that the computer names are unique and
less than 16 characters - they are

6. "remove netbeui if found" - are you sure about this? I have it installed
on all the machines and I heard that it is necessary to resolve computer
names - if I uninstall it, are you sure that the whole thing wil not stall?

7. especially ones that report an issue with the "master browser".
On one of the PCs I have a warning
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of domains from the browser master
\\DELL_1 on the network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4C08E1B4-4270-4F6B-8A6F-C07239F26511}.

What am I suppose to do about this?
On other two machines there is no Browser-related errors, yet I have
problems accessing files between them

8. all the lmhosts has been triple checked

9 I did mapping of the drives using ip addresses instead of computernames as
you suggested and for the moment it woks OK, touch wood.

Steven L Umbach said:
My guess [not knowing much about your setup] is that you have a
netbios
name
resolution problem. When you click shares in My Network Places, you
are
using netbios
name resolution and if you are not using wins on your network then you
are
using
broadcasts to find computers. Broadcasting can be unreliable and
should
be
used only your computers
and seems to one clients
to just pdc ras
server or entries
in the
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../server/reskit/en-us/tcpip/part4/tcpappi.mspx and

<aa> wrote in message Thanks.

[...]

I do not use netbeui on my home and work networks - only tcp/ip and never
have a problem with My Network Places. If you have an application that
requires netbeui then do not remove it. If you do have netbeui and do not
want to remove it, then make sure a common protocol has file and print
sharing bound to it and that the common protocol is at the top of the list
[preferrably tcp/ip] as shown in network connections/advanced/advanced.
Personally I think having more than one protocol if not necessary causes
more problems that it is worth. If any of your computers has more than one
nic or have rras running on them, that can also cause problems if it becomes
the master browser and I would disable the computer browser service on that
computer as long as at least one other computer can become the master
browser. You obviously have some problem with your master browsers and may
require using something like browstat to try and track down, but a mulihomed
computer can often be the problem. You can also use nbtstat -n on your
computers to see if they are a master browser and can also view a computers
netbios name table remotley by using nbtstat -A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [actual IP
address] to see if they are a master browser. --- Steve

<aa> wrote in message Thanks.

1. Try using ip address instead of name such as
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share.

Where and how do I do it? it is not me who uses the above
name.
It I
get If
that

aa

Thanks, Steven

1. If you have an application that requires netbeui then do not remove it.

I have no idea whether I have such an application.
MS Network Manual describes netbeui as a necessary thing if NETBIOS names
are used.
Now from your wors I conclude that though NETBIOS names a were set up for
every w2k during installation,
their usage is not needed and the computers can find each other just by IP
addresses - is that what you mean?
If so, all these computer names and NETBIOS and netbeui for a small network
look like another MS bell and whistle which neither rings not whistles

2. make sure a common protocol has file and print sharing bound to it and
that the common protocol is at the top of the list
[preferrably tcp/ip] as shown in network connections/advanced/advanced.

I do not understand. How do I make sure a common protocol has file and print
sharing bound to it ?

3. If any of your computers has more than one
nic or have rras running on them, that can also cause problems if it becomes
the master browser and I would disable the computer browser service on that
computer as long as at least one other computer can become the master
browser.

I am still confused with all this browser business. IsDomainMaster is set
to False on all my computers and still the computers show all the shared
resources on each other.
After all if that IsDomainMaster is that important why nobody nowhere
writes/says about it?
I've been floating my problems for a month now and it si for the first time
IsDomainMaster was mentioned. Neither can I find any reference to it in
Microsoft Network+ Certification (650 pages) or in
"Upgrading&Troubleshooting Networks:The Complete Reference" by Craig Zacker
(990 pages)

4. may require using something like browstat
My w2k Pro does not recognise this command - where do I get it from?

5. You can also use nbtstat -n on your
computers to see if they are a master browser

nbtstat -n on each of the three computers shows only that computer own
name - does this mean that neither is a master?
Anywhay if a computer has IsDomainMaster set to False - it cannot be a
master browser, can it?

aa said:
[...]

for

<aa> wrote in message Thanks, Steven
[...]

folder,
I one
w2k
into

Steven L Umbach

You will need to allow at least one computer to be the master browser and that
computer should either be on all the time or be turned on before the other computers,
and not contain more than one network adapter and have file and print sharing enabled
on it.. Normally any W2K computer can be a master browser unless the computer browser
service has been disabled or registry modifications [as you mentioned] have been made
to not let a computer be a master browser which neither would be the case in a
default installation. At least one computer needs to list itself as the master
browser when you run nbtstat -no. Below is a nbtstat -n from my computer that is
master browser.

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
SERVER1-2000 <00> UNIQUE Registered
SERVER1-2000 <20> UNIQUE Registered
UMBACH1 <00> GROUP Registered
UMBACH1 <1C> GROUP Registered
UMBACH1 <1B> UNIQUE Registered
UMBACH1 <1E> GROUP Registered
SERVER1-2000 <03> UNIQUE Registered
UMBACH1 <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~SERVER1-2000<00> UNIQUE Registered

MAC Address = 00-60-97-26-67-60

I would safely say you can remove netbeui. It also is not included in a default
installation of Windows 2000.You must have a really old manual. Tcp/ip relies on
netbios over tcp/ip or NBT for short to do netbios name resolution. To check for what
protocols have file and print sharing enabled you would need to look in Control
Panel/network connections/advanced/advanced. You will see file and print sharing
listed for each protocol, whether or not the box is checked to indicate it is enabled
for that protocol, and the priority in the binding order which can be changed.
Network browse service is widely misunderstood and considered Voodoo by many. MS is
getting away from it with Active Directory but a pure AD network is usually not the
norm and requires a domain controller. The browse service is not required for
computers to have shares, it's only job is to create an easy interface for users to
see the shares. It is possible for netbios name access to work to access shares even
if the browser service does not as witnessed by using \\computername\share to access
shares which bypasses the browse service [My network places] to access the share.
Browstat can be downloaded from Microsoft but I think if you remove netbeui and have
at least one computer in each workgroup be able to be a master browser that your
problems will probably go away. If you make changes, give it some time as it can take
a while for the browse list to update. You can also use "net view" to see the current
browse list. Use "net help view" for more information on that command. The following
links are about the best I know explaining the browser service. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../server/reskit/en-us/tcpip/part4/tcpappi.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;102878

<aa> wrote in message
[...]

showing if there are excessive errors or etransmissions. ---
Steve

In my w2k1-router-w2k2 network I can access files from one
w2k
on
another
for some time and then suddenly next attempts result
into
an
error:

\\ComputerName\folderName
The specified network name is nolonger available

I have to reboot both computers and then same situation
repeats.

What do I do about it?

1. You will need to allow at least one computer to be the master browser and
that
computer should either be on all the time or be turned on before the other
computers,

Are use sure? This defies the wole concept of peer-to-peer network which is
based on a notion that all the computers are equal and any two of them can
communicate without a third one.
What you are saying is equivalent to one computer be a server.

In a thread "IsDomainMaster-False" Robert suggests
w2k does not rely on masterbrowser to search services, as suggested
disable on all except one machine or disable on all.

This is more in concert with what I see on my network: it is disabled on all
the computers and they still see each-other's shared resources.

2. To check for what
protocols have file and print sharing enabled you would need to look in Control
Panel/network connections/advanced/advanced.

What OS are you talking about? I have w2k-Pro Sp4 and I do not have
Control Panel/network connections/advanced/advanced.
I have Control Panel/network and dial up connections and there is no
/advanced/advanced there.
Instead there is a list o connections including Local Area Connection with
the list of protocols installed and I cansee nothing about see file and
print sharing there.
What are you talking about?

,

aa said:
Thanks, Matt

1. I still do not understand "Try using ip address instead of name..." -
where exactly I am supposed to use it?

for IP address:

net use * \\999.999.999.999\sharename

for FQDN:

net use * \\host.domain.com\sharename

If you can get to it both ways, your target computer is outside
of you broadcast domain or netbios name cache is corrupt.

If you cannot get to it using the FQDN it is an IP resolution issue.

If you cannot access it by either method, your IP addressing is screwed up
or perhaps something even more basic.

aa

Matt, I was asking WHERE I should use IP adress instead of a name. Now I
guess you mean either in the run box or in the IE address field.
Yes, I can get it both ways, which according to your mesage means corrupted
netbios name cache

How do I fix a corrupted netbios name cache ?