The Question No One Can Answer

It's the search in NT4 (With Option Pack), Windows 2000, and XP with a
different shell around it.

Here I explain how to use Search on XP. Pray tell what additional features
the new shell around Indexing Server has (I can see one can no longer
generate abstracts of found documents).

http://groups.google.com.au/group/m...icrosoft+search&rnum=5&hl=en#97a3ad78d882cace

CJM said:
Please search is not new.

[sigh]

No, lots of other OSes have a search feature, you are correct. But none
are like Vista. What goes on under the bonnet is different; in Vista it's
faster, more comprehensive and more efficient. A cursory glance at the
Vista feature list would have confirmed this.

CJM

<.> wrote in message
Oh? Can you search for the content of emails from the desktop in XP? Can you
save your search as a search folder so that it can be re-run dynamically? Is
XPs search feature anywhere near as quick as in Vista?

Can you also find me any credible source that says that Vista search is the
same search feature included in NT/2000/XP simply with a new wrapper around
it?

Alias

CJM said:
<.> wrote in message
Oh? Can you search for the content of emails from the desktop in XP?

You can using OE or Outlook or Thunderbird or Mozilla Mail or Pegasus or ...
Can you
save your search as a search folder so that it can be re-run dynamically? Is
XPs search feature anywhere near as quick as in Vista?

What's your hurry? When I run a search in XP and it's finished quickly
enough.

The reason I will get Vista has more to do with the fact that future
hardware will not be made for XP and neither will games and other
software. This is called being *forced* by a de facto monopoly and their
hardware cohorts to buy their products.

Alias

Indexing server will index mail and news messages that exist in individual
files. So it will find Vista's mail and news messages.

All Windows since 95/NT4 support Saved Searches (it was one of the features
that MS said 95 had - I've not ever found a need for this feature - I spent
years trying to find a need.

As XPs and Vista has the same engine I'd imagine they run at the same speed.

The classid of the filters are the same, the file names of the filters are
the same, the file name of the query dll is the same, etc, etc.

C:\Users\David Candy>tasklist /m query.dll

Image Name PID Modules
========================= ======== ===========================
SearchIndexer.exe 3388 query.dll
SearchProtocolHost.exe 1344 query.dll
SearchFilterHost.exe 3000 query.dll

However one accesses it either AQS, Natural language (both Windows Desktop
Search shell), Dialect 1 or Dialect 2 (both Windows 2000 and XP in the
Containing Text field) it gets converted to SQL. Any database (or program)
can query the index in SQL.

Also see file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Config\msscolmn.txt
which says in part

# DefineColumns File for Windows Search, Index Server and Site Server
Search.
# These are default property names (Catalog Columns) that are
# NOT BUILT-IN to Windows Search, Index Server or Site Server Search.

Jeffrey S. Sparks

enough.

The reason I will get Vista has more to do with the fact that future
hardware will not be made for XP and neither will games and other
software. This is called being *forced* by a de facto monopoly and their
hardware cohorts to buy their products.

Alias

You aren't being forced to upgrade. You can continue playing your old games
on your old OS and old computer. Just because companies continue to advance
their technology doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.

Jeff

Alias

Jeffrey said:
You aren't being forced to upgrade. You can continue playing your old
games on your old OS and old computer. Just because companies continue
to advance their technology doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.

Jeff

Yawn.

Alias

Scott

what???? windows explorer in vista is 10 times worse!!!

I hate it!!! its terrible! what are you talking about ????

Spend more time with it. Learn it. You'll find once you do that it's
vastly more efficient. It's easier to navigate, but it does take some
getting used to.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.

Scott

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, there are things about
Vista I don't like that others are drooling over. Other things, like
Dreamscene (which is a worthless piece of eyecandy to some) is awesome. But,
that's just me.

Dreamscene is cool for about 10 minutes.

I love how all the crybabies with Home Premium are complaining that
hey don't have it and it's not faaaaaaaaaaaaairr.

Honestly, folks, you're not missing anything.

It's vastly overrated.
--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.

Scott

[snipparoo my previous stuff]
Thank you! You gave me some compelling reasons to get Vista. As soon as
it's ready, third party programs and drivers are ready, I'll get it!

You're welcome. :)
Not a clue. I am just learning Linux. You probably know more about it
than I do.

Ooops.

Never mind. :)

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.

Dave,

Do you know or realize that Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP in
November 2007? Nov 2007 is 3 years after the release of service pack 2.

I would say that Microsoft should post not the marketing PROs unless they
post the discontinuation of various features/options. That way people can
make a decision about the features they used most. As an example, I do not
like Vista because they...
* Added breadcrumbs and did not add the bility to change it back to text in
the address bar.
* Took away the up folder button of Windows Explorer and did not allow the
ability to add it back.
* Changed the keyboard BACKSPACE for ALT-UP while still allowing BACKSPACE
but changing its meaning.
* Do not allow to have a double pane Start Menu that doesn't put All
Programs in one pane. They say they offer a classic view but I remember XP
offering a double pane start menu with an All Programs menu that expanded to
the right.

All in all, Microsoft should create documentation saying what features they
are going to drop if they do not allow the option to change back to a
previous capability. This should be able to be found by the techie geeks.
They have the code for all of the previous features, they can add the
checkbox/radio button to enable the new code or the old code.

Phy

Charlie Tame

MICHAEL said:
WTF are you talking about?

You know when I read that post my prediction for your first word was
WTF, not that I claim that as any record, it was pretty much what we all
thought I reckon.

MICHAEL

* Charlie Tame:
You know when I read that post my prediction for your first word was
WTF, not that I claim that as any record, it was pretty much what we all
thought I reckon.

:)

What's even more absurd about what he said,
XP's lifecycle/support may even go beyond what
it says now..... like Microsoft did with Win98 SE.
Especially, if there are a lot of XP machines still
running.

-Michael

David A. Spicer

More likely to be closer to 2017 than 2007 There will probably be a SP3
for XP in the next 6 months or so.

Well I was wrong. Thanks for the update guys.
As an observation, it is getting more and more difficult to find manufacture
machines that support XP drivers anynmore. The hardware is the same but the
big manus are releasing new models where the web site doesn't offer the XP
drivers.