the network connection icon takes 4 min to show up

On one of the three cpmputers on a per-to-peer network it takes 4 min after
w2k completes loading and login, before the icon of a network connection
appeart in the tight lower corner

What might be the reason?

Paul King

Well - apart from the obvious - ie Slow machine, it could be a DNS issue.

If you don't have DNS setup correctly the machine can take a long while
trying to resolve a name on the Internet or local LAN before loading the
desktop.

I would check your DNS settings on the TCPIP protocol.

Does this happen on your other 2 machines?

Paul.

It does not happen on two opther mashines, though I have other issues on
them, like "Unexpected networ error" durind file copying

What exactly on DNS settings on the TCPIP should I pay attention?
On TCP/IP properties I have both IP and DNS Server addresses obtain
automaticaly

On Advance I have

1 IP Settings
IP addresses DHCP enabled
Default gatewas - nothing

2/ DNS
Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
Append parent suffixas of the primary DNS suffix
Register this connection address in DNS registration (have noidea what these
three do mean)

3. WINS
Enable lmhosts look up
Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Paul King

Oh there you go.... Do you have a DHCP server or BOOTP device issuing IP
addresses?

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - normally loaded on a server -
this issues a range of TCPIP addresses for your local machines. DNS and
WINS entries are also loaded from the DHCP server. Therefore if you don't
have a DHCP server that machine is going to take a really long time
searching for something that does not exist.

Try assigning a static IP address to the same subnet as the other machines,
for example:

PC1 = 192.168.0.100
PC2= 192.168.0.101
PC3= 192.168.0.103

This will mean all can communicate using IP and your desktop loads will be
much faster.

Regards
Paul.

Thanks, Paul.

I am nervous to make these changes the the system which still works.
One thing concerns me:
If I have settings to use DHCP, but there is no DHCP on the network, then
the system should not work at all whereas it is working, althought slow and
unreliably.
If there is no DHCP, how the system manage to find IP addresses? Ping works
fine on all the machines.

What is BOOTP device ?
I did not mention, but all the three w2k are networked via Vigor2600x
ADSL/Router which is connected to Internet

Does this chane your opinion?

Paul King

I too have a Draytek Vigor - brilliant devices aren't they!

The Vigor can also be used as a DHCP server. In the TCPIP Wan properties of
your admin page check to see if the Enable DHCP server is ticked. If this is
the case then just clarify your ip addresses against all three machines -
for example, if you have configured DHCP on the Vigor to use

Start:192.168.0.100
End: 192.168.0.110

Ensure that all three machines have one of those addresses. If you have
another address then either you have a BOOTP device (ie Printer Server) or
somehow the client has got its knickers in a twist.

If the client workstations have been setup to use DHCP you may want to do an
"ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to obtain a new address from the
Vigor.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Paul

Paul,
1. I do not know exactly what is "TCPIP Wan properties of my admin page",
but
On TCP/IP properties I have both IP and DNS Server addresses obtain
automaticaly
On Advance - IP Settings I have
IP addresses
DHCP enabled

Is that what you mean?

2. if you have configured DHCP on the Vigor to use
Start:192.168.0.100
End: 192.168.0.110

I did not configured it, I just followed the Vigor instruction and connected
it without configuring. Perhaps it was pre-configured because ipcofig on
each computer shows the same default gateway 192.168.1.1
The IP addresses for each PC are respectively
192.168.1.10
192.168.1.11
192.168.1.12

Is this OK?

3. I applied release/renew on all the three computers. The ipcongig readings
did not change and it seems to have no affect on the prioginal prob;lem of 4
min.

Paul King

Thats good then.

Ok, to recap your machines are set to
192.168.1.10,11 & 12 whilst your Vigor is set to 192.168.1.1
This is a good configuration by the way....

But to summarise one of those 3 machines are taking a long while to start
up.

Do you have anything different on this machine (ie software / mapped drives)
to the others?

Cheers
PK

aa

It is different.
That third machine used to be my office machine and it was set to work with
the office local network.
It has a lot of network-related things installed like Symantec PCAnywhere,
Lucent IPSec Client and Citrix Program Neighbourhood, which were set up by
our Admin, and which, to tell you the truth, never worked reliably even when
the computer was sitting in the Office. Now that I started working from home
and the Admin is 120 miles away, I am on my own.

That machine was on Domain, and I set it to Workgroup and did all the IP
setting as discribed above.
I also added two lines to the host file relevant to the IP addreses and
names of the two other PCs.
I thought that I need to enter the Vigor address there, but I do not know
what name should I use next to 192.168.1.1
Is this relevant?

Also that PC is dual boot. The second OS is w98 and there are the same
network setting on it as on w2k. I boot into both OS - could this interfere
with network connection?

Paul King

Nope the Vigor is not relevant in the LMHOSTS or HOSTS file.

As long as your machines has 192.168.1.1 in the default gateway then you
should be ok.

I guess there is no chance of re-imaging the machine again into the Base OS?

Paul.

re-imaging the machine again into the Base OS?

I do not understand "re-imaging" and "Base OS" - what are these?

Also I have three other problems on two other machines, which might be
relevant to the one being discussed:

1. The list of computers in Windows Explorer appears quickly. Then It takes
about two minutes to open a drive on another machine. Once a drive lists its
folders, they are opened relatiovely quickly. Why opening a drive takes
time?

2. In two out of three attempts to copy a file over network I have
"Unexpected network Error". The file gets copied, the same size, but would
not opened, i.e. might get corrupted.

3. When trying to view printer properties over network using
Start-Settings-Printers-Properties, I am getting "Printer properties cannot
be displayed.Operation could not be completed". Obviously the computer does
see that printer over network as the printer status shows "opening" inless I
turn on the other PC to which that printer is connected. The the satus
becomes "Ready". The printer would not print unless I re-intall it on both
computers. This has to be repeated everytime I turn the computers on. One
thin might be relevant - the computer which refuses to use this printer
without reinstalling is on Domain.

Paul King

This might all be related to one file LMHOSTS.

If you have been updating the HOSTS file then don't.

In your windows directory under system32/drivers/ect you may find an lmhosts
and/or lmhosts.sam file(s)

If you only have lmhosts.sam - copy this file and rename this to lmhosts

If you have lmhosts open this up in notepad and enter the following
information

#LMHOSTS Machine File
192.168.1.10 [name of pc1]*
192.168.1.11 [name of pc2]
192.168.1.12 [name of pc3]

*ie. 192.168.1.10 PC1

Ensure that this file is on all three machines and reboot them.

Let me know how you get on

Paul.

Thanks, Paul< I will do.
Meanwhile please let me know what are thre roles of the three files:
hosts
lmhosts
lmhosts.sam

Paul King said:
[...]

Base
OS? up
the
IP ticked. If
you loaded could take network
it

Paul King

Ok,

LMHOSTS.SAM is a sample file - doesn't do much apart from advise you on how
to create a....
LMHOSTS - netbios names to IP resolution. This file is handy for workgroup
based environments
that cannot afford or employ a Server with WINS (Windows Internet Name
Service)

HOSTS is used mainly for mapping DNS type requests on the local machine.
For example if you had an internet connection but no DNS entries then typing
www.microsoft.com would only result in page not found error. By including
external hosts that are available on the internet (public) you could make a
descriptive entry rather than using its IP address.

In your example, you have DNS enabled on the Vigor and therefore HOSTS is
not required in your situation. LMHOSTS on the other hand allows you to
resolve the name of your PC's against its corresponding IP address on the
LAN.

Hope this helps

<aa> wrote in message
On one of the three cpmputers on a per-to-peer network
it
takes
4
min
after
w2k completes loading and login, before the icon
of

Thanks, Paul,
now I understand what I will be doing when following your previous advice

<aa> wrote in message
On one of the three cpmputers on a per-to-peer network
it
takes
4
min
after
w2k completes loading and login, before the icon
of
network
connection
appeart in the tight lower corner

What might be the reason?

Danny Slye - [MSFT}

In Windows NT, the hosts file is for TCP/IP utilities, and the lmhosts file
is for LAN Manager NET utilities. If you cannot PING another computer
(using a friendly name), check the HOSTS file.
If you cannot NET VIEW a server using only the TCP/IP protocol, check the
LMHOSTS file.
See: 105997 Differences Between the HOSTS and LMHOSTS Files in Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=105997
The lmhosts.sam file is a sample lmhosts file designed to demonstrate how
to write a proper lmhosts file.

That said, the problem you are experiencing with the network connection
icon most likely has nothing to do with name resolution. There is no Local
Area Connection icon when there is no network adapter present, or when the
adapter is not
configured properly. This is most likely a problem with the network card
itself or its associated driver. It could also possibly be related to some
associated hardware like your switch or hub or cabling.

Thanks, Danny.
I can ping all three computers from each other
What is "NET VIEW a server"?

BTW, I had a system Admin looked into my network setup and he thinks that
everything is correct, and the problem most probably is with my w2k sp2. He
believes there are some bugs which can be sorted out by downlodaing sp3 and
sp4
Does it make sense?

Paul, I did as you recommended and it made no difference.
BTW, I had a system Admin looked into my network setup and he thinks that
everything is correct, and the problem most probably is with my w2k sp2. He
believes there are some bugs which can be sorted out by downlodaing sp3 and
sp4
Does it make sense? I am going to do it anyway