The Greenwich Beer & Jazz Festival 2010

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This thing runs from Thursday to Monday this year with four bands and lots of booze available on each day. Twenty quid admission per event.

I went on the Friday with a bunch of people and saw Hayseed Dixie and The Fun Lovin' Criminals. This was quite a treat for me as I am a fan of both bands having one Hayseed Dixie album and three by the Fun Lovin' Criminals.

You could say I'm something of a fan of FLC so to have them playing ten minutes away from my doorstep on a fine warm sunny evening in a leafy glade with dozens of real ales to choose from was really quite special for me.

Hayseed Dixie are a bunch of good ol boys from the USA who play heavy rock tunes in a blue grass stylee and a nifty line in humour. They were great. They play quite a few AC/DC numbers and their versions of Bohemian Rhapsody and War Pigs were just fine.

I've uploaded one number from FLC to YouTube, here's a link:

Korean Bodega

I recorded a few Hayseed Dixie numbers on me faithful Canon G9 camera and once I've uploaded to YouTube I will post a link.

The Fun Loving Criminals are from New York and I've been a fan ever since the first album was released mid-nineties. I was sent the first album as a promo cos I was working spinning platters at the time.

So, some pix. First up band and festival shots then some pix of the people I was with, except for the guy with the rodent on his shoulder, I have not a clue who he is. Sylvie took that pic. There's also two pix of yours truly in there showing just what a somewhat fearsome and dishevelled specimen I am.

The first band pix of are Hayseed Dixie. Note the accoustic 4 string bass, which sounded very good indeed.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

p001.jpg

p002.jpg

p003.jpg

p004.jpg

p005.jpg

p006.jpg

p007.jpg

p008.jpg

p009.jpg

p010.jpg

p011.jpg

p012.jpg

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Great pix Mr Flopp's

Real Ale mmm my fav and I bet there were more than a few guest ales there that would have tickled my fancy..:D

Thanks for sharing mate.:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Great piccies, looks like a very enjoyable event.:thumb: Might one also bring a modest blush to the Bootstomp cheek ...? You're looking good Sir Flopps!! :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
showing just what a somewhat fearsome and dishevelled specimen I am.

I've seen a lot worse. ;)

Live music, a selection of real ales and not having to drive - heaven. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Real Ale mmm my fav and I bet there were more than a few guess there that would have tickled my fancy.
laughingsmiley.gif

What a bunch, they all look like well shady chaps :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Great pictures! Flops you look just as handsome as 10 years ago when I saw your first pic :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Superb selection there Mr Flopp's

I would have tried at least 10 of those, a half pint of each would have gone down quite nicely..

Lots of beer fest's I been to i have always purchased my own half pint glass and then done some serious tasting..he he he..always jealous of the ones I couldn't taste though, thats the problem, too many beers not enough space to fit it all in plus I would be absolutely ratted if I tried to get anymore down me neck!

I have overdone it before at Beer fests and learnt to pace meself..

Aye the Exmoors are always a good drop as is the Fullers and Twickenhams

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On entry you were given the option to hire a pint glass for a deposit of £3.00 which I was a bit miffed about to begin with but then realised that would stop hundreds of pint beer glasses being left everywhere with undoubtedly a lot of breakages. It also negated the need for potmen staff to be constantly collecting glasses. I got me three quid back at the end, no queues, oddly enough.

I tried about a dozen but no, I didn't have twelve pints, you could try a small sample of anything you wanted, which was good. There was a very real difference between flavours.

Now, me being a pleb I wondered why there was no Guinness so I started with a pint of Espresso Stout which was bloody horrible, kinda like molten boot polish. Alright, I exagerate, it weren't too bad but I wasn't going back for more.

Then I had a few pints each of Crop Circle and Golden Jackal which were both superb.

And a pint of Guinness in The Hood on the way home :D

Must have nodded out about 11.30pm and woke up at 6am :eek:

And thus got a million and one chores done Saturday morning. No hangover, either.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Great pictures! Flops you look just as handsome as 10 years ago when I saw your first pic :)

I do believe young Mr Quad is taking the p**s :lol:

I closely resembled the back of bus in the year 2000 and I now resemble the back of a bendy bus :D

But fank yoo anyway :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats the good thing about real ale it has no nasty chemicals in it like lagers do and because of that your not left with the chemicals in your system and then dehydrate leaving you with a nasty hangover in the morning!

Don't tell everyone Mr Flopp's or they'll all start drinking it..:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Blimey what a list I didn't recognise any of them beers. Looks like I'll have to have a trip down south for research purposes :D I'm planning to go to the June beer fest in Dent for a camping and drinking weekend if the weather is fine.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Looks like it was a great session Flopp's and that was some beer list. Major hangover material lol.

Ask a Question