The Call of Duty: Black Ops Thread

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well I completed this last night on the medium setting. It was a little easy on medium in my opinion. Overall the solo missions were pretty impressive albeit a little short. There were way too many set pieces and FMV's. I much prefer the world at war campaign or the modern warfare campaign (not modern warfare 2 campaign!). I wish they would make it a little less linear as you have to do the missions the way they want you to, so it limits your game play quite a bit with the on the rails levels. The graphics absolutely blew me away though!

Reaction score
I'm playing on the mid level too, i think....when you get killed it allows the option to drop to a lower difficulty....not that i'd need it of course.lol. Spent hours last night on xbox live last night....campaign's on hold now.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just had a very good game, Softcore HQ, 36900 XP in one round. :D

sggzv6.png

http://www.xfire.com/profile/vrpcr/screenshots/?view#107244563

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, me gottit now, early Christmas pressie :)

Just finished the first SP level, 'Escape from Vortuka' or summat after a motor sickle ride.

These are my machine specs, 4 years old now, grafix card changed since new, memory doubled but still showing signs of age:

Intel Core Duo 6600 2.4Ghz; 4Gb Memory; Asus P5B Deluxe mobo; Nvidia 9800GTX 512Mb vid card

Tried game vid res of 1600 x 1200 at first but it stuttered in places. So changed to 1280 x 1024 and it's running fine and to be honest doesn't look a great deal different at the lower setting.

Other settings: Sync every frame: Off; AA: 4 x; Bodies: medium; Shadows on and everything else is probably on medium.

It's very good, very well scripted and the graphics are excellent. I do still still slightly regret just about every new game release now being a game/movie hybrid, it's a double edged sword - yes, it does enhance the storyline but no, it doesn't make for a fluid gaming experience imo. Oh well, I suppose that's the way it is so I best accept it.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, may give it a shot later this evening.

Reaction score
Wait til you finish the campaign cos when you go multiplayer, ya may never go back, lol. Its a brilliant game.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Great game. :D

Flops if you need to try turning off AA for a better FPS. :)

Reaction score
Hi Flopp's.....how's Blops(what its called now, i hear) going for ya. Have you started on the multiplayer yet ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Flopp's.....how's Blops(what its called now, i hear) going for ya. Have you started on the multiplayer yet ?

Have tried multiplayer a few times and so far I am honestly a bit crap at it :D

But I think I know why.

A game has finally been released, after I've used this computer for four years, that has made me realise it's eventually time I need a new machine.

I just can't respond quick enough on line even with a good ping and single player mode suffers from jerkiness even at a modest resolution when it gets busy.

I think the online mode is a lot better than MW2, better maps, but I don't like the fact I can't choose a single game mode, it only seems to list all game types, the most popular of which seems to be TDM & DOM. I like FFA.

And you don't get much to start with either, very basic, gonna have to put some hours in to access better weapons and stuff.

I think the single player is superb, I've just watched the boat sink in the Arctic and am on my 2nd visit to Vietnam now. And the interogator speaks like the geezer from the SAW films/Games ;)

Overall - very very good but I'm going to have to earn some money to build an i7 machine or I may even go the AMD route for the next build, not sure yet.

So how you getting on with the Xbox 360 version?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Loving the xbox version......i have black bags under my eyes from playing it all night every night, lol.
I have been playing mw2 on ps3 and comparing them. Mw2 is good but black ops is much better.
When you get a few decent weapons the game gets better and better. Also reaction speeds get better too. Which is just as well for me. There's times when i seem to be respawning over and over and over. Still addicted though lol.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just finished single player mode - absolute blast, enjoyed that :thumb: :)

But I swear each release gets shorter :(

What was that then? CoD Seven, including the console only CoD 3. I can remember playing the first two for at least a month on and off wheras CoD 7 SP could be finished in a long evening.

And it went into Zombie mode at the end with Presidents Kennedy and Nixon, Castro and some other geezer. Played it once and only got two rounds finished, will have to go back to it. Does Zombie mode only open up on completion?

Going to try some more multiplayer but I'm fairly certain for that I need at least a new grafix card, probably a new machine.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
That maxshine guy spends a mental amount of money on his PC, im proper jealous! Dual xeons with 4 580 GTX's!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Have tried multiplayer a few times and so far I am honestly a bit crap at it :D

But I think I know why.

A game has finally been released, after I've used this computer for four years, that has made me realise it's eventually time I need a new machine.

I just can't respond quick enough on line even with a good ping and single player mode suffers from jerkiness even at a modest resolution when it gets busy.

I think the online mode is a lot better than MW2, better maps, but I don't like the fact I can't choose a single game mode, it only seems to list all game types, the most popular of which seems to be TDM & DOM. I like FFA.

And you don't get much to start with either, very basic, gonna have to put some hours in to access better weapons and stuff.

I think the single player is superb, I've just watched the boat sink in the Arctic and am on my 2nd visit to Vietnam now. And the interogator speaks like the geezer from the SAW films/Games ;)

Overall - very very good but I'm going to have to earn some money to build an i7 machine or I may even go the AMD route for the next build, not sure yet.

Lil update here.

I've now made Favourites of all the low ping FFA's and have quite a lot. There are a helluva lotta servers though and it took some time to do that.

But, for me, multiplayer is more or less unplayable.

I've only joined low ping servers, lowered the res, turned off AA but I think my computer is just too ancient to handle this game now, it is, after all, a little over 4 years old.

I'm experiencing what seems like lag, jerkiness, delayed commands and I think that can only be down to my relatively low spec machine as all other versions of CoD present no problems.

So, must admit Multiplayer Black Ops looks good but I'm going to have to look towards an upgrade.

i7 - expensive.

Phenom - would it actually be worth upgrading to, say, 970 quad core 3.4Ghz (That spec from memory, it may be innacurate) 4Gb DDR3 Memory or would I be better off just upgrading the video card in this current setup:

Asus P5B Deluxe
Intel Core 2 duo 6600 2.4Ghz
4Gb DDR2 memory
BFG Nvidia 9800GTX 512Mb

I've been looking at the Nvidia 470 series - whadya think?

ATI? Anything worth considering?

I'm still wary of their crap drivers but open to suggestions.

Anybody actually playing Black Ops online with an ATI Card?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Call of duty black ops is heavily dependent on a good processor, upgrading your graphics card will give you little or no positive performance. I've read before someone changing there 8800GTX for a 460GTX and getting no performance upgrade due to his dated processor.

I play Black ops online with an Ati card, 1920x1080, max AA and everything high never really dropping below 60fps.

The 470 isnt far off the price of the new Ati 6950 which a lot of people turn into the 6970 with a firmware flash and the 6970 isnt far from the top of the range nvdiia 580GTX.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Flops, I've got a Q6600, 4GB RAM and an 8800 GTS 368MB and Black Ops Multiplayer runs really well for me so far (1680x1050, 4xAA) and your system is better than mine in all respects apart from the CPU.

Is it smooth in single player mode?

BTW - anyone tried breaking out of the chair on the menu screen yet? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Blops is quite CPU dependant, its also a bit of luck it you do or dont have issues..

I think it likes Quads, Dual cores always seem to suffer. Maybe try to hit 3Ghz or higher may help Flops.

Which is odd as its the same engine as MW2, looks no different, but runs worse... God knows what Treyarch did to it.... lol

Flops: You could try messing with some of hte entries in the config. Like this - Its all the standard CoD stuff, shadows etc.

Ian: Yep, have you gone to the computer in the corner too yet? ;)

Its Eggbox, but same applies, you get Steam achievements too. :D

Reaction score
my black ops was running fine until V_R messed with my config .... lol

i have massive lags issues no matter what server i use and long map loading times.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Flops, I've got a Q6600, 4GB RAM and an 8800 GTS 368MB and Black Ops Multiplayer runs really well for me so far (1680x1050, 4xAA) and your system is better than mine in all respects apart from the CPU.

Is it smooth in single player mode?

Yes, ran fine through single player, but if I ran it above 1064 x 768 it stuttered a bit.

I've listened to all advice here, thanks, not quite sure what to do though.

I certainly can't afford an upgrade at this stage as I have transport issues.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
Ian: Yep, have you gone to the computer in the corner too yet? ;)

Got to the PC and had a browse round the files, but didn't see the game! I'm going to have a go on it now :). They've put quite a bit of effort in to this easter egg, I wonder if it is teaser stuff for a new game as there is quite a bit to it!

Ask a Question