The Best FireWall!

donutbandit

Although I recently built a very high-end WinXP machine and trusty
Kerio wouldn't stop crashing :(.

What's more trusty - good ole Kerio or Win XP?

I wouldn't run Win XP if you paid me to.

There comes a limit on what's "high end" and what's trusty. Win XP with all
it's security issues, phoning home, tattletaling to Uncle Billy - what's
"high end" about that?

john p.

How is Sygate for bloat? Is it lightweight?

I replaced ZA with Sygate on my Win98 and WinXP systems, and I love
it. Excellent logging (you can even log individual packets if you
want), and extremely configurable using Advanced Rules if you need
that kind of detailed control. Might be a bit heavier than Kerio, but
Sygate's built-in BackTrace/WhoIs is worth the extra weight to me.

SleeperMan

It's not my opinion. (well, mine, too, since i use it and so far it works
good). But before i installed any firewall, i've read several reviews and in
all Norton was the winner. All freeware ones were at the bottom of the list
with remark that they are pretty good "for the price..."

As for 2004 version i've read several complaints which i can't say for 2003.
That's why i stick with 2003.

Glenn typed:

donutbandit

But before i installed any firewall, i've read several reviews and in
all Norton was the winner. All freeware ones were at the bottom of
the list with remark that they are pretty good "for the price..."

Reviews accomplish what the writer wants them to accomplish. Sounds likely
to me that the ones you read wanted you to buy a firewall.

IF you had asked around the Usenet groups instead, you would have gotten a
completely opposite picture. Norton is the number 1 cause of
computer and user problems. The first thing we ask in the help groups is
"Do you have Norton?" and the answer is almost always "yes."

I would put the top 3 or 4 free firewalls up against Norton any day of the
week. But, they already have your money, which is what they wanted to begin
with.

SleeperMan

donutbandit typed:
Reviews accomplish what the writer wants them to accomplish. Sounds
likely to me that the ones you read wanted you to buy a firewall.

IF you had asked around the Usenet groups instead, you would have
gotten a completely opposite picture. Norton is the number 1 cause of
computer and user problems. The first thing we ask in the help groups
is "Do you have Norton?" and the answer is almost always "yes."

I would put the top 3 or 4 free firewalls up against Norton any day
of the week. But, they already have your money, which is what they
wanted to begin with.

First of all, who said anything about me buying norton? :) I like
thoroughly test things BEFORE buying. That 30 day crap testing is too damn
short period.
Secondly...from these posts i still don't know which one is "the one". Most
of you say about Kerio, but some say they had biiig problems with it in XP
and newest version is vey resource hungry.
So, which one? I used to have Agniutm free version (before Norton), worked
OK, but i still don't know about level of protection. And especially
protection was the most important point of all reviews i've read and i all
views Norton was the winner.
I'm not Norton fan, i'll dump it the second i'll be sure of any other being
better. For now my Norton works and causes no problems, so i can't say
nothing in this direction.

But i'm waiting for some reccomendations... Free or payable - doesn't
matter.

SleeperMan

by the way, since i have NIS 2003, if i change my firewall, then i would
have to ask which antivirus yould you reccomend?
And one of conditions is that it must have automatic virus table updates. I
won't check for any updates every single day. Secondly, it must download
only update, not each time whole table (like McAfee used to do), since it
takes ages.

Richard

I have been using Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 for
about six months. It seems to work real well.

Richard

DC

SleeperMan wrote:

[...]
First of all, who said anything about me buying norton? :) I like
thoroughly test things BEFORE buying. That 30 day crap testing is too damn
short period.

Not really, considering Redmond's track record, lately. One week to 10
days ought to be sufficient. };O)

[...]

Tiger

But i'm waiting for some reccomendations... Free or payable -
doesn't matter.
You've gotten several recommendations for free fw's. I'd suggest
trying them for yourself. You might also ask in several of the
security ng's.

Bob Adkins

And one of conditions is that it must have automatic virus table updates. I

Try Avast4

It updates perfectly well on a schedule you set, and has a full set of
features.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

JunkMonkey

Judge Roy Bean said:
How is Sygate for bloat? Is it lightweight?

I prefer Sygate over Kerio. Both seem about equal in performance, and
neither appear to be pigs, though to be fair my ignorance of firewall
technology is both deep and profound. My preference is based solely on user
interface.

In my opinion, Sygate Personal Firewall is a little bit easier for the
novice and casual user to set up and use. Both appear to function in a very
similar manner, but I am much more comfortable with Sygate. With Kerio, I
always had nagging little doubts if I set it up properly and if I was using
it properly. It was easy to set up, but the wording of the dialog boxes
always left me nervous (note to software developers - keep the wording
simple - if you are going for a mass market, dumb it down, and then dumb it
down some more.).

I used them both for about 3 months each Sygate first, then Kerio, I went
back to Sygate when the latest version came out and I am quite pleased with
it as I have no intention of ever learning anything more about firewalls.

J44xm

["Bob Adkins"; Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:14:46 GMT]
Kerio Personal 2.15 or Sygate Personal 5.0.1150 are about the same,
and I like both a lot better than ZoneAlarm.

I tried Kerio a while back, but I thought it was a bit too complicated.
Good for powerusers, but Jill and Joe Intermediate might wish to approach
with caution.

Bob Adkins

["Bob Adkins"; Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:14:46 GMT]
Kerio Personal 2.15 or Sygate Personal 5.0.1150 are about the same,
and I like both a lot better than ZoneAlarm.

I tried Kerio a while back, but I thought it was a bit too complicated.
Good for powerusers, but Jill and Joe Intermediate might wish to approach
with caution.

Zonealarm was just too confusing, and the odd interface didn't help either.
Kerio's default settings are perfect for Joe Average. When a window pops up,
allow the apps that legitimately need the Internet, deny the ones that
don't. Hey, even I can handle that. :)

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

Vrodok the Troll

I've been using ZoneAlarm 2.1.44 for years!
Have upgraded because the newer version seem to have too many problems!
Anything better out there yet?
Just wondering.
Thanks!

See "RE-POST: Kerio Personal Firewall (v2.1.5)", just posted into
'alt.binaries.freeware'.

Bob Adkins

High-end hardware wise. Anyway, XP is ok as long as you disable or
customize a lot of the BS.

Customizability (is that a word?) is one of the best things about XP. If
there's something you don't like about it, change it.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

Richard Steinfeld

| donutbandit typed:
|

| >> But before i installed any firewall, i've read several
reviews and in
| >> all Norton was the winner. All freeware ones were at the
bottom of
| >> the list with remark that they are pretty good "for the
price..."

Sleeper,

The reports I have seen have all said that the Norton firewall
was weak and buggy. I regret the day that Peter Norton sold his
well-crafted products to Symantec.

| > Reviews accomplish what the writer wants them to accomplish.
Sounds
| > likely to me that the ones you read wanted you to buy a
firewall.

Reviews are also typically written by people on corporate systems
with an in-house IT department that Symantec will actually talk
with. Have you ever tried to use Symantec's customer support?
With two versions of Norton Systemworks, my experience with
Symantec's support was a big fat Zero, and the top-rated product
itself was much more trouble than it solved. Like with Intuit,
they have insulated themselves thoroughly against their customers
with an impenetrable moat. You hurl yourself against a squished
email system, repeatedly, pleading for recognition. When they
condescend to answer you, it's canned, irrelevant, and plain
wrong. I'm sure you know the drill: They essentially tell you to
go FAQ yourself.

Sometimes this kind of quality is named "Award-winning support!"
Trust me: I've been there. It's printed on the box. In fact, I
returned an HP CD burner that had that statement printed on the
box. It turned out that the fine print inside said that, yes,
phone support is available to all for $2.50 per minute. Those
minutes start on the day of purchase. Symantec, too, delivers
"award-winning support." They don't mention whose award this is.
Perhaps it is from "Joe's award licensing corporation." For
$20,000, I'll wave my magic wand and issue you an award myself.

When it comes to security products that I pay for, I damn well
expect these bastards to answer the telephone! Failing that, I
can do just as well, perhaps better, with free software. If your
system is so screwed up that you can't boot, you certainly can't
go on-line to get at their email support or their FAQed-up FAQs.
I don't have to pay money for that kind of help. After those
miserable experiences, decent freeware becomes a godsend (see
that: I've been on-topic all along, man!).

| > IF you had asked around the Usenet groups instead, you would
have
| > gotten a completely opposite picture. Norton is the number 1
cause of
| > computer and user problems. The first thing we ask in the
help groups
| > is "Do you have Norton?" and the answer is almost always
"yes."

| > I would put the top 3 or 4 free firewalls up against Norton
any day
| > of the week. But, they already have your money, which is what
they
| > wanted to begin with.
|
| First of all, who said anything about me buying norton? :) I
like
| thoroughly test things BEFORE buying. That 30 day crap testing
is too damn
| short period.

I agree. I've been using PCs since 1984. I've always had the
feeling that I've got to live with a complex program for six
months before I can know whether I want to live with it or not.
That's unfortunate, but it's true for me. Smaller programs will
reveal themselves to me much sooner, of course. I don't see how a
critic can review a program on a tight publication deadline.

| Secondly...from these posts i still don't know which one is
"the one". Most
| of you say about Kerio, but some say they had biiig problems
with it in XP
| and newest version is vey resource hungry.

| So, which one? I used to have Agniutm free version (before
Norton), worked
| OK, but i still don't know about level of protection. And
especially
| protection was the most important point of all reviews i've
read and i all
| views Norton was the winner.

| I'm not Norton fan, i'll dump it the second i'll be sure of any
other being
| better. For now my Norton works and causes no problems, so i
can't say
| nothing in this direction.
|
| But i'm waiting for some reccomendations... Free or payable -
doesn't
| matter.

At this point, I don't expect any program to be perfect. That's
too much to ask for. But the issue is: which program is "good
enough?" Sometimes, the parameters might be, "which program is
great when it is used in conjunction with program 'B?'" It may
help to consider these offerings from that perspective.

Kerio (an older version, I see here in another forum) is
extremely capable. One must use pre-fabricated control files for
it or cobble up one's own. I made my own just from making yes/no
rules on the fly, and my experience was quite good. It could have
been better, but I could live with it. I haven't tried Agnitum
yet, but I'm drawn to check it out. I have used a crippled
version of Sygate (included in a recently departed competitor to
Norton Systemworks) that performed very well at what it did; it
whetted my appetite for a "real" firewall from the same company.
I'm using the free one right now and I especially like the way it
handles: the interface is the best I've seen. However, Sygate's
phone support policy prevent me from considering purchase of the
commercial version. For antivirus, I'm using Grisoft AVG, which
is also a masteripiece in the design, handling, and interface
departments. And I find it exceptionally well-maintained. My
feeling about the other program from the Czech Republic, Avast,
was that the interface isn't there yet. I hope that they improve
it.

Enough out of me.

Richard

Richard Steinfeld

<john p.> wrote in message
| On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:49:10 GMT Judge Roy Bean
<[email protected]>
| wrote:

| I replaced ZA with Sygate on my Win98 and WinXP systems, and I
love
| it. Excellent logging (you can even log individual packets if
you
| want), and extremely configurable using Advanced Rules if you
need
| that kind of detailed control. Might be a bit heavier than
Kerio, but
| Sygate's built-in BackTrace/WhoIs is worth the extra weight to
me.
| --
| john p.

Yes, John. My experience with most security products is that
their interfaces and handling are terrible: a programmer can put
up with this, but I'm not a coder. Sygate's human consideration
and design make it a winner.

Richard