That darn HTML Help issue in Windows 2000 update

G

George Hester

I tried everything to get my HTML Help Windows Help to work again. I unregistered and reregistered hhctrl.ocx. I had the issue that when I accessed a link which would, say, open the Network and Dial-up Connections window I would get a script error. The location for this was Start | Help | Contents | Internet, E-mail, and Communications | Connect to the Internet | Open Network and Dial-up Connections just by putting the mouse over this link a script error would occur and these types of links no longer worked.

I was dumbfounded. It was also suggested I rename hh.dat in C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help. Tried that too. No luck.

So I found this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822989&Product=win2000

Links in HTML Help Topics Are Unavailable or No Longer Work

But that fix involved a fix that I could not install in Windows 2000 SP4 Internet Explorer 6 SP1. I just couldn't get it to install. So what's a person to do?

Well it turns out from this article that the issue is related to Internet Explorer. As almost all issues with Microsoft products are. Since I ALWAYS install a Service Pack in Windows 2000 by FIRST restoring my previous version of IE back to 5.01 and then getting that to its latest Service Pack Level (4 now), I have the ability to Add\Remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. If you install a Windows 2000 Service Pack over Internet Explorer 5.5 or 6 you will not be able to Add\Remove Microsoft Internet Explorer. It's always a good idea to keep that functionality. So always return to your previous version of Microsoft Internet Explorer BEFORE applying a Windows 2000 Service pack.

So that's what I did. I returned IE back to 5.01. Then I applied Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000 AGAIN. Then I applied the latest update to Internet Explorer 5.01. Then I regsvr32 wshom.ocx. Then I reinstalled Internet Explorer 6 from the Web at Microsoft.

Now my HTML Help is back to normal. Whew...

C

Colon Terminus

[Major surgery performed here]

"Then I applied Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000 AGAIN. Then I applied
the latest update to Internet Explorer 5.01. Then I regsvr32
wshom.ocx.

Then I reinstalled Internet Explorer 6 from the Web at Microsoft.

Why'd you do that? What's wrong with IE 5.01?

Ask a Question