Text search

S.O. Meone

Franklin said:
So it's nagware rather than freeware. Having said that, I find that
it is one of the least troublesome nagwares I've used.

"Total Commander, Version 6.54a, is a Shareware file manager for
Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, and Windows® 3.1."
(authors website)

It's not freeware and therefore off topic here.

S.O. Meone

Why Tea

S.O. Meone said:
"Total Commander, Version 6.54a, is a Shareware file manager for
Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, and Windows® 3.1."
(authors website)

It's not freeware and therefore off topic here.

You are obviously one of those freeware vigilantes. Yes it's a nagware,
but it also gives someone a choice to get the job done. Is that
anything wrong?

This is just about giving someone an advise of getting something done.
If the software suggested is not a freeware in the purest sense,
shouldn't that be OK?

Craig

Why said:
You are obviously one of those freeware vigilantes. Yes it's a nagware,
but it also gives someone a choice to get the job done. Is that
anything wrong?

This is just about giving someone an advise of getting something done.
If the software suggested is not a freeware in the purest sense,
shouldn't that be OK?

This is the grey region. All we need to do is keep the heat down to
avoid flames and we'll be fine.

fwiw,
-Craig

Noip

Al Klein said:
If anyone really needs it, I'll put an executable of WinGrep on my
site for download. It's old, primitive, fast and searches any and/or
all files.

Al --

Your URL. please? I don't care how old or primitive it is, so long as it
works.

Thanks much.

S.O. Meone

Why Tea said:
You are obviously one of those freeware vigilantes. Yes it's a nagware,
but it also gives someone a choice to get the job done. Is that
anything wrong?

This is just about giving someone an advise of getting something done.
If the software suggested is not a freeware in the purest sense,
shouldn't that be OK?

No, you silly person! This newsgroup is about freeware only! Get it?

From the TC website: "Total Commander is a Shareware program. This
means that you can test it for a period of 30 days. After testing the
program, you must either order the full version, or delete the program
from your harddisk."

This newsgroup is not about shareware.

S.O. Meone

pcdoc

any document in particular? any extention in particular (.doc .pdf .eps)
etc?? and of course - what operating system ?

Al Klein

Your URL. please? I don't care how old or primitive it is, so long as it
works.

Use the link in my sig - it's at the bottom of the list. (Some day
I'll alphabetize it.)

Susan Bugher

S.O. Meone said:
"Why Tea" <[email protected]>

No, you silly person! This newsgroup is about freeware only! Get it?

From the TC website: "Total Commander is a Shareware program. This
means that you can test it for a period of 30 days. After testing the
program, you must either order the full version, or delete the program
from your harddisk."

Yup. http://www.ghisler.com/order.htm spells it out.

Come on folks, get real. Can you say Warez? There are "Shareware"
programs that can be considered some sort of free (for example
Cacheman). Total Commander is not one of them. This is not a case of:

"not a freeware in the purest sense"
"nagware rather than freeware"
"the grey region"

Total Commander is SHAREWARE pure and simple. The author's terms are
crystal clear. Sure, you can use the app for as long as you like if you
choose to ignore the legalities but you can only use it LEGALLY for a 30
day trial.

Susan (ware description vigilante)
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Noip

Al Klein said:
Use the link in my sig - it's at the bottom of the list. (Some day
I'll alphabetize it.)

Al --

I tried the link in both Firefox and IE and all I get is the dreaded
"OOPS!!! Page Not Found" error message.

Help, please?

Thanks again.

Why Tea

Come on folks, get real. Can you say Warez? There are "Shareware"
programs that can be considered some sort of free (for example
Cacheman). Total Commander is not one of them. This is not a case of:

Nobody says it's not a shareware.

There is also no further discussion of the software except to suggest a
software that can do the job. I expect people to be more open minded
rather than taking swipes at others who happen to mention anything
non-freeware.

Please don't insult others as Warez users either. Just for the record,
I'm a registered user of Total Commander.

Susan Bugher

Nobody says it's not a shareware.

I disagree. "Not shareware" was the implication of the quotes you
snipped. Those quotes were all taken from this thread. I'll repeat them:

"not a freeware in the purest sense"
"nagware rather than freeware"
"the grey region"
Please don't insult others as Warez users either. Just for the record,
I'm a registered user of Total Commander.

That has nothing to do with the issue at hand. IMO obfuscation ("not a
freeware in the purest sense" etc.) is just plain wrong. IMO implying
that it's okay to use Total Commander without paying for it amounts to
advocating Warez.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Why Tea

Please don't insult others as Warez users either. Just for the record,
That has nothing to do with the issue at hand. IMO obfuscation ("not a
freeware in the purest sense" etc.) is just plain wrong. IMO implying
that it's okay to use Total Commander without paying for it amounts to
advocating Warez.

Have you ever tried some shareware to get some work done and later
found that it's so good and you registered for it? Or, perhaps you've
tested it, disliked it and then uninstalled it?

This gentleman wants to do some text search, he can obviously try
freeware and shareware as well as $$ware. How could someone recommend
him a shareware without getting insulted then? Is it good enough to
say, by the way, I can suggest you some shareware that can do the job
better but you have to read my post in the shareware group? Give me a
break.

Susan Bugher

Why said:
This gentleman wants to do some text search, he can obviously try
freeware and shareware as well as $$ware. How could someone recommend
him a shareware without getting insulted then?

Does someone also want to eat everything in sight without gaining
weight? Has someone never heard of cause and effect? Action and
reaction? Someone objecting to insults in response to their Shareware
post is very like someone saying "He hit me back first".

If someone recommends Shareware in alt.comp.freeware people WILL be
offended and they WILL tell that someone off. If someone doesn't like
insults, that someone should not be offensive -> problem solved. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Fitzsimons

This gentleman wants to do some text search, he can obviously try
freeware and shareware as well as $$ware.

Sure, that's why shareware groups etc. exist.
How could someone recommend
him a shareware without getting insulted then?

By recommending shareware in a shareware group. Duh !
Is it good enough to
say, by the way, I can suggest you some shareware that can do the job
better but you have to read my post in the shareware group? Give me a
break.

Why ? What's wrong with people getting shareware recommendations in a
shareware newsgroup ? This is a FREEWARE newsgroup. Unless you
have difficulty reading you would see that yourself.

If a freeware solution isn't found for someone then they can post
their query in a shareware newsgroup.

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Franklin

"Total Commander, Version 6.54a, is a Shareware file manager for
Windows© 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, and Windows© 3.1."
(authors website)

It's not freeware and therefore off topic here.

I said it is not freeware.

Is there an echo in here?
Is there an echo in here?

Franklin

Neither are are many, many other programs which we _don't_ recommend
here.

Is recommending nagware here worse than discussing nagware here?

Not that I have recomended Total Commander.