System Restore Error 0xC0000056 - More Info

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Kamiuk, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Kamiuk

    Kamiuk Guest

    I asked for help a few weeks ago when I mentioned that occassionally my System
    Restore points disappear and SR stops working until I create a new restore
    point. The MS Help explanation is "The System Restore filter encountered the
    unexpected error '0xC0000056' while processing the file '....lnk' on the volume
    'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume." Since then, I have
    watched more closely and it seems that this only happens when I have used Real
    Audio to listen to an online stream, and the files with which SR has a problem
    all seem to be in the Real Audio History folder which is buried in the XP
    DocumentsandSettings folder. However, it does not happen every time I use RA. I
    may try deleting the history every time I use it to see if it fixes the
    problem.

    Has anyone else had the problem and been able to fix it - other than by not
    using Real Audio? It is very annoying because there is no warning that SR has
    stopped working and that the restore points have been deleted; I now check SR
    daily and create a new point if there are none, but it's not the way it should
    work. Again, TIA for any suggestions.

    Kamiuk, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Kamiuk

    Prasad Guest

    Hi,

    It may have arisen from corruption of a restore point through say a
    crash or bad shutdown.

    Right click my computer - properties. Click System restore and check 'Turn
    off on all drives'. Click Ok and reboot - that will clear out everything
    - check by deleting the contents of System Volume Information folders
    (you will need to have Folders Options View showing Hidden files and not
    hiding Protected mode ones).
    Then turn on System Restore again, reboot once moreand make a manual point.

    Best of luck,

    Prasad

    Prasad, Jan 12, 2004