System Hanging: XP PRO all updates included

A

atandhmb

System hangs several times a day.
It seems to hang after about (say) 90 minutes.
Yesterday and today, for example while doing a full anti-virus scan (AVG) it hung after about 2 hours.
On 4 occasions recently, Outlook Express opened with the default message folder rather than the usual one. I had to resurrect using the usual Tools\Options\Mtce\Store Folder.
I am hoping that this specific problem will give a clue.
During hanging the mouse some times shows on screen but cannot be activated. After some while the mouse moves to another part of screen.
I have had Windows Explorer take ages just to open a folder, which is making me think this is the problem.
Also, when I have had the patience to wait a long time for a message the following sometimes appears:

"Windows Delayed Write Failure.
Windows was unable to save all the data for file E:$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Network is OK - several other computers on it have no problems.
Since the system is locked I cannot do anything.
The file shown is unknown to me and does not show with Windows search.
I have run CHKDSK /F on all disks with very few errors which were corrected without problem. Also have defragged everything.

Help please

PS Often Task Mgr shows CPU 100% active, while at the same time showing 90/100% idle.

R

Rich Barry

Take a look at this MS article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

Yesterday and today, for example while doing a full anti-virus scan (AVG) it hung after about 2 hours.
On 4 occasions recently, Outlook Express opened with the default message folder rather than the usual one. I had to resurrect using the usual Tools\Options\Mtce\Store Folder.
During hanging the mouse some times shows on screen but cannot be activated. After some while the mouse moves to another part of screen.
I have had Windows Explorer take ages just to open a folder, which is making me think this is the problem.
Also, when I have had the patience to wait a long time for a message the following sometimes appears:

Windows was unable to save all the data for file E:$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

I have run CHKDSK /F on all disks with very few errors which were corrected without problem. Also have defragged everything.

Help please

PS Often Task Mgr shows CPU 100% active, while at the same time showing 90/100% idle.

A

atandhmb

Hi. Thanks.
I have changed as suggested on one disk. The other unforunately is greyed out so can't change.
I will advise if this has worked.
Thanks again.

Help please

A

atandhmb

Hi. Thanks.
I have changed as suggested on one disk. The other unforunately is greyed out so can't change.
I will advise if this has worked.
Thanks again.

Didn't work. Any other suggestions please.
Regards

Help please

Ask a Question