Suse 10.1 update problem

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fresh installation, don't seem to be any problems, I'm using it to post this using Firefox.

I go to do my first auto update and get this, under the headline 'Dependency Resolution Failed'

Establishing script:libzypp-patch-zmdrestart.sh-2-1533-1.noarch[SUSE-Linux-10.1-Updates]
This would invalidate script:libzypp-patch-zmdrestart.sh-2-1533-1.noarch[SUSE-Linux-10.1-Updates].
Marking this resolution attempt as invalid.

Any suggestions as to how to get round this would be apreciated.

I ran Suse 10 for about 6 months and liked it a lot had no problems. I didn't have to go into the engine room much, only time I had to use the console was to install UT2004, so I guess I had it easy. I never did figure out how to install the UT2004 patch though, so never did bother.

Anyways, here we go, fresh install of 10.1 and a problem at the first hurdle ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sad, init ... we try to help Linux and Suse go screw it up.

It's that stupid Zen updater ... feck it and use YaST to check for an update to "libzypp" ... you know how? once you get that 'fix' it should all work.

I find that if you allow Suse to "update" when installing, everything is fine, as you get that fix before anything else.

Let me know, but I'm off to bed ... :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, went into YaST, searched for libzypp, four files came up, two of which were altready ticked, so I installed them.

Went for auto update, still same problem.

So, decided to use YaST for 'Online Update'

As at this moment (1am - yawn) YaST itself has been updated and all the patches are at 20% total progress. It's a slow process.

Starting to feel a tad knackered meself now, time for bed, guess I might leave it on to let update process complete.

With Suse 10 I had to install lots of media stuff after initial install, does 10.1 need the same or does it come with a DVD player and audio player already installed?

I haven't had time to mess with it yet, guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I did notice there's a version of Real Player in there (what?) and also that the CD/DVD burning software looks pretty good.

Lots of messing to do :)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sad, init ... we try to help Linux and Suse go screw it up.
It's that stupid Zen updater ... feck it and use YaST to check for an update
Sorry thought i heard my name being said;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
You awake yet?

OK ... well the bad news is NO! you still gonna have to use the Jem Report to get all the right bits-n-bobs ... the good news is, you only really need to do as he says and your all done.

I remember you had downloaded at or around the same time I did ... well, they cocked up on that release, if you download now, you'll find those "little" errors fixed. ;)

You do need the right "sources" from Jem, get them first ... the best way, I find, to correct the err, hickup, is to right-click the likes of libzypp and "update all in this list" ... I still got a few that I had to do via YaST, but once you get the initial problem out of the way, everything is plain sailing.

Oh, I found the new "Beagle" to be a bit too memory hungry, so I un-installed it ... upto you, but it will give you some extra back to the system.

:thumb:

I hate Real player.... comes with so much crap...
err, no problem on Linux ... I have a few others I would not let near my Windows with a 100' electrified barge pole ... but on Linux, no problem. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It was updating to 2.30am and there was still a problem with the Zen updater, albeit different to the original problem.

I may very well download it again, overnight, tonight I think.

Or, possibly, carry on and try and fix this version.

I have printed out the Jem report, as I did with V10.0.

I've read about Beagle hogging things, how do I disable that then?

Thanks for reply.

This is what I'm running it on, btw:

Asrock K7NF2-RAID motherboard, latest Bios
AMD XP3200 (2.2Ghz)
Thermalright SI-97 cooler with Zalman 92mm fan
2 x 256Mb Hynix PC3200 memory in dual channel mode
XFX Nvidia 5700LE 128Mb vid card
40Gb Maxtor PATA drive in the disk caddy on IDE 1
Liteon DVD ROM Drive
Asus CDRW
A floppy drive
Antec Sonata Case
Antec 380W PSU

muckshifter

Reaction score
use the Jem report to set-up the sources, then use YaST to get the libzypp fixed.

You do not need to re-download, but re-install ... just let it update during install and it will get the fix first, then, you'll laugh, it will "reboot" :D and carry on with the rest of the updates.

That zmd (Zen) still screws up though ... I have one update that keeps asking for a CD I do not have, and I have them all including the add-on pack.

To uninstall Beagle ... you err, un-install. Use YaST, software management, Search for Beagle, right click & Delete all in this list, including the FF add-on. ;)

I found Beagle to be a resource hog using 100% CPU ever other second, no good when I'm crunching also. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Downloaded all libzypp patches YaST found (two) still had same problem.

Formatted Disk, fresh installation, opted to update during installation, all appeared well as regards to updates.

And it still has the same problem. This is ********. Think maybe I'll go back to V10.0, that worked well, or maybe try pclos.

Have not, as yet, tried updating libzypp in latest install.

Oh, and in previous install I deleted all things Beagle related and kept getting error messages on boot.

I'm orff to work now, laters :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
:confused:

Strange ... but then, we are talking about computers ... so, let me know how PCLinuxOS (0.93?) goes, it's suposed to have all the codecs & other third party stuff install for you ... I have it waiting for me to put in a 40gig HD in. :D

May do that today. :thumb:

Ask a Question