SuSE 10.1 problems

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello All,
Bought 5 CD set for SuSE 10.1 as I thought it would be easier for a beginner to install. OS has installed but there are some problems with the CDs. I can't get support as SuSE will not connect to the internet.
I had SuSe 10 running (although it would not install properly) on my old K8 PC - it connected to the internet automatically. When I installed SusE 10 on my new PC - it would not connect. The same has happened with SuSE 10.1 - 'network unreachable'.
The old PC had a SiS 900 network card and the new one has an Asrock MCP51. YaST Control Centre says the card is running but I can't ping the router. I am tempted to try a Philex card which has Linux drivers on a floppy. What do you think?
Linux forums show this to be problem but their fixes are too complicated for me.

Thanks in advance,
peahouse05:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that ...

You may not need to use the drivers for the new card ... it may just install when booting.

Linux forums show this to be problem but their fixes are too complicated for me.
What fixes??

:)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Suse 10 cd problems

Hello Muckshifter,
Think I will try the off-board card just as a check. The 'fixes' I mentioned were lots of lines of code in a linux forum which seemed to go on forever. Hope to understand it all one day. However there were lots of references to inability to connect to the Internet.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is a "frustration" we meet everyday ... the inability of manufacturers to support Linux is their loss.

:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello All,
Caught in my own trap! Installed spare PCI NIC and ran driver floppy - has no driver for XP - came from WIN98 system. Going to make up another patch cable and connect on-board card and PCI one to the router and see what happens. Haven't tried it with SuSE 10.1 yet - if it does need a driver there is one on the floppy.
Cheers,
peahouse05:wave:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
Connected to the Internet using old network card - configured in SuSe 10.1 without additional driver.
Thanks for your help,
peahouse05
smile.gif

Ask a Question