Strange Error when trying to receive email via POP

SJMP

Can anyone elaborate on this error for me:

"your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of
messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items
returned by the UTDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet
Service Provider".

Brian Tillman

SJMP said:
Can anyone elaborate on this error for me:

"your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number
of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of
items returned by the UTDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or
Internet Service Provider".

When a POP client connects to a POP server, the client says "How many new
messages are there?" The server answers with the value. The client then
says, "OK, assign a unique number for each so I can identify them later, and
give me those values." The server should generate one number for each of
the messages that it says are new. Apparently your server is saying that it
has X new messages, but returning Y numbers. A POP client gets confused by
this because it means that the server is lying about how many messages there
are.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the explanation of the specific error.

Hi SJMP,

Based on our knowledge and experience, this issue could occur if there is a
limit to the number of messages and size of the messages that they could
store on the mail sever. To resolve this issue, please try the following
steps.

1. Created a new Folder on the mail ISP's Webmail page.
2. Transfer all the Emails from the Inbox to the New Folder.

After that, click the Send/Receive button in Outlook 2003 to check the
result.

If the issue persists, please create a new Outlook profile and configure
the email account in the new Outlook profile to test the issue.

To create an e-mail profile, please refer to the following article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB):

287072 OL2002: How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook (This article
is also useful for Outlook 2003)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;287072

If the above steps don't fix the issue, please collect the following
information for me for further research.

1. Are you able to send emails in Outlook?
2. Configure the email account in Outlook Express and Send/Receive emails.
And then check if you can send/receive emails properly in Microsoft Office
Outlook program now.
3. Take a screen shot of the exact error message to me at
(e-mail address removed).

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Brian Tillman" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Strange Error when trying to receive email via POP
| Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:43:10 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|

| > Can anyone elaborate on this error for me:
| >
| > "your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number
| > of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of
| > items returned by the UTDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or
| > Internet Service Provider".
|
| When a POP client connects to a POP server, the client says "How many new
| messages are there?" The server answers with the value. The client then
| says, "OK, assign a unique number for each so I can identify them later,
and
| give me those values." The server should generate one number for each of
| the messages that it says are new. Apparently your server is saying that
it
| has X new messages, but returning Y numbers. A POP client gets confused
by
| this because it means that the server is lying about how many messages
there
| are.
| --
| Brian Tillman

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi SJMP,

I would like to check how things are going. Did you have the chance to try
the troubleshooting steps? If you have any other questions, please do not
hesitate to let me know. I look forward to your further updates.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Emily Lin [MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:05:42 GMT
| Subject: Re: Strange Error when trying to receive email via POP
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Hi Brian,
|
| Thanks for the explanation of the specific error.
|
| Hi SJMP,
|
| Based on our knowledge and experience, this issue could occur if there is
| limit to the number of messages and size of the messages that they could
| store on the mail sever. To resolve this issue, please try the following
| steps.
|
| 1. Created a new Folder on the mail ISP's Webmail page.
| 2. Transfer all the Emails from the Inbox to the New Folder.
|
| After that, click the Send/Receive button in Outlook 2003 to check the
| result.
|
| If the issue persists, please create a new Outlook profile and configure
| the email account in the new Outlook profile to test the issue.
|
| To create an e-mail profile, please refer to the following article in the
| Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB):
|
| 287072 OL2002: How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook (This
article
| is also useful for Outlook 2003)
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;287072
|
| If the above steps don't fix the issue, please collect the following
| information for me for further research.
|
| 1. Are you able to send emails in Outlook?
| 2. Configure the email account in Outlook Express and Send/Receive
emails.
| And then check if you can send/receive emails properly in Microsoft
Office
| Outlook program now.
| 3. Take a screen shot of the exact error message to me at
| (e-mail address removed).
|
| If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| hesitate to contact me.
|
| Regards,
|
| Emily Lin
|
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Brian Tillman" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Strange Error when trying to receive email via POP
| | Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:43:10 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| |
| |
| | > Can anyone elaborate on this error for me:
| | >
| | > "your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number
| | > of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of
| | > items returned by the UTDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or
| | > Internet Service Provider".
| |
| | When a POP client connects to a POP server, the client says "How many
new
| | messages are there?" The server answers with the value. The client
then
| | says, "OK, assign a unique number for each so I can identify them
later,
| and
| | give me those values." The server should generate one number for each
of
| | the messages that it says are new. Apparently your server is saying
that
| it
| | has X new messages, but returning Y numbers. A POP client gets
confused
| by
| | this because it means that the server is lying about how many messages
| there
| | are.
| | --
| | Brian Tillman