SP4 installation error

Simon Geary

I am trying to install SP4 on an SP3 Windows 2000 server and get the
following error:

"Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
Cryptographic service is running on this computer."

I have checked KB 281458 and this is not the cause.

Here are the contents of svcpack.log, any one have any ideas what could be
wrong? The exact same installation files worked fine on other servers.

Service Pack started with following command line:
***

InstallInfCatalogFile: Installing C:\Documents and
Settings\sgeary\Desktop\9-sp4\update\sp4.cat as _000000_.cat...
***

VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\_000000_.cat

***

InstallCatalogFile: VerifyCatalogFile failed for c:\winnt\_000000_.cat;
error=0x8009200d.
***

InstallInfCatalogFile: Installation failed; error=0x00000002.
***

DoInstallation: ValidateSingleFileSignature Failed: STR_FAILED_INF_INTEGRITY
***

Service Pack 4 Setup encountered an error: Setup could not verify the
integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
running on this computer.
***

VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\_000000_.cat

***

InstallCatalogFile: VerifyCatalogFile failed for c:\winnt\_000000_.cat;
error=0x8009200d.
***

CleanupTrustedInfFile: GetFileAttributes for
C:\WINNT\System32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem6.cat
failed: 0x2
***

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
***

Message displayed to the user: Setup could not verify the integrity of the
file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this
computer.
***

User Input: OK
***

Kyle Cui [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting here!

According to your description, I understand that you were unable to install
Windows 2000 SP4.

As this is a service pack installation issue, it would be best to post
these questions in the following newsgroup.

Microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment

All installation related issues are posted in the newsgroup above

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most
qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who the newsgroups
regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction
with us. Also, this is to make sure that the responders can better track
the problem. Thank you for your understanding.

Have a great day!

Thanks & Regards,

Kyle Cui
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE2000, MCDBA2000

| From: "Simon Geary" <[email protected]>
| Subject: SP4 installation error
| Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:48:07 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| I am trying to install SP4 on an SP3 Windows 2000 server and get the
| following error:
|
| "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure
the
| Cryptographic service is running on this computer."
|
| I have checked KB 281458 and this is not the cause.
|
| Here are the contents of svcpack.log, any one have any ideas what could be
| wrong? The exact same installation files worked fine on other servers.
|

| Service Pack started with following command line:
| ***
|
| InstallInfCatalogFile: Installing C:\Documents and
| Settings\sgeary\Desktop\9-sp4\update\sp4.cat as _000000_.cat...
| ***
|
| VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\_000000_.cat
|
| ***
|
| InstallCatalogFile: VerifyCatalogFile failed for c:\winnt\_000000_.cat;
| error=0x8009200d.
| ***
|
| InstallInfCatalogFile: Installation failed; error=0x00000002.
| ***
|
| DoInstallation: ValidateSingleFileSignature Failed:
STR_FAILED_INF_INTEGRITY
| ***
|
| Service Pack 4 Setup encountered an error: Setup could not verify the
| integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
| running on this computer.
| ***
|
| VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\_000000_.cat
|
| ***
|
| InstallCatalogFile: VerifyCatalogFile failed for c:\winnt\_000000_.cat;
| error=0x8009200d.
| ***
|
| CleanupTrustedInfFile: GetFileAttributes for
| C:\WINNT\System32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\oem6.cat
| failed: 0x2
| ***
|
| Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure
the
| Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
| ***
|
| Message displayed to the user: Setup could not verify the integrity of the
| file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this
| computer.
| ***
|
| User Input: OK
| ***

David Adner

Make sure nothing has modified the update.inf file. As of SP4, it does
its integrity check, so you can no longer customize it. Or at least,
I'm not aware how you can without getting the error below.