SP2 problem c0000135

Octavio Espaillat

After I stall SP2 on my windows XP home edition, the
computer when rebots go to a blue screen saing error
c0000135 try to reinstal Winsrvs. it's a new computer and
microsoft ask me to install SP2. what can I do to recover
from this?
Please reply as soon as you can, thanks

My e-mail is: (e-mail address removed)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

That error means the 'winsrv.dat' or 'winsrv.dll' file is missing or
corrupt in the Windows\System32 folder, or more likely that
the registry is corrupt.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| After I stall SP2 on my windows XP home edition, the
| computer when rebots go to a blue screen saing error
| c0000135 try to reinstal Winsrvs. it's a new computer and
| microsoft ask me to install SP2. what can I do to recover
| from this?
| Please reply as soon as you can, thanks

Jim Graham

Why is this happening so often? I've had this on about 10-15 Dell Inspiron
5100's as well as other computers....

ADD ANOTHER WARNING

I just came from a client site. She had an HP Pavilion PC and downloaded
SP2 this morning and also ended up with this error. She tried a "Go back to
last known working" and it failed to correct the problem. She did not have
the OEM CD for her system but did have another (RETAIL) CD from her daughters
PC. Since the OEM CD was a recovery (factory fresh image) this would have
lost all data and required reinstalling all added apps. I ran the repair
installation from the RETAIL CD and could not use the OEM Product id code and
had to use the Retail ID to perform the repair.

The repair ran fine. When attempting to sign in, was advised the product ID
could not be verifyed. A 2 hour support call to MS resulted in being told
there is no way to activate this installation and the only way to recover
from this is to do a fresh (format) install. I am awaiting a call from
research tomorrow to see if they will devulge a work arround. They
specifacally warned against attemping to recover using an OEM XP over this.

Jim Graham

I would do another repair on it with an OEM XP CD. This will allow it to
activate (I did the same thing, I forgot about activation problems, but this
method worked for me). You really can't break it much more anyway... Good
luck.

Jim Graham

Carey Frisch said:
That error means the 'winsrv.dat' or 'winsrv.dll' file is missing or
corrupt in the Windows\System32 folder, or more likely that
the registry is corrupt.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| After I stall SP2 on my windows XP home edition, the
| computer when rebots go to a blue screen saing error
| c0000135 try to reinstal Winsrvs. it's a new computer and
| microsoft ask me to install SP2. what can I do to recover
| from this?
| Please reply as soon as you can, thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If you had taken just a few moments to visit the HP support
website, you would have learned that HP Pavilion PCs have
a hidden partition containing Windows XP files. You could
have chosen to perform a "non-destructive recovery", which
is what you now need to do in order to active. Otherwise,
since you went ahead and used a "Retail Version" of XP,
you'll have to purchase a new Product Key (at your expense).

How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

How To Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| ADD ANOTHER WARNING
|
| I just came from a client site. She had an HP Pavilion PC and downloaded
| SP2 this morning and also ended up with this error. She tried a "Go back to
| last known working" and it failed to correct the problem. She did not have
| the OEM CD for her system but did have another (RETAIL) CD from her daughters
| PC. Since the OEM CD was a recovery (factory fresh image) this would have
| lost all data and required reinstalling all added apps. I ran the repair
| installation from the RETAIL CD and could not use the OEM Product id code and
| had to use the Retail ID to perform the repair.
|
| The repair ran fine. When attempting to sign in, was advised the product ID
| could not be verifyed. A 2 hour support call to MS resulted in being told
| there is no way to activate this installation and the only way to recover
| from this is to do a fresh (format) install. I am awaiting a call from
| research tomorrow to see if they will devulge a work arround. They
| specifacally warned against attemping to recover using an OEM XP over this.

I have the same problem I have a Toshiba Laptop with
only a restore CD. I do not have a OEM CD to do a
recover from. I will contact Toshiba and maybe order a
SP2 CD. I would prefer not to reformat the drive becasue
of this. I do have an XP Upgrade CD for my second
computer. I do not think that would work for me,
espically after reading other posts.

Other ideas?

THANKS!

Any other ideas?

Carey Frisch said:
That error means the 'winsrv.dat' or 'winsrv.dll' file is missing or
corrupt in the Windows\System32 folder, or more likely that
the registry is corrupt.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.a
spx
------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

:

| After I stall SP2 on my windows XP home edition, the
| computer when rebots go to a blue screen saing error
| c0000135 try to reinstal Winsrvs. it's a new computer and
| microsoft ask me to install SP2. what can I do to recover
| from this?
| Please reply as soon as you can, thanks
.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jim
Can you send me the svcpack.log file from the failed install?
Remove the online from the email.
The winsrv.dll is not being updated, We need some log files to see what
the problem could be.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Jim Graham" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: SP2 problem c0000135
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:08:31 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

---------
:

| After I stall SP2 on my windows XP home edition, the
| computer when rebots go to a blue screen saing error
| c0000135 try to reinstal Winsrvs. it's a new computer and
| microsoft ask me to install SP2. what can I do to recover
| from this?
| Please reply as soon as you can, thanks

Jim Graham

Carey, this is a very condescending post you have written. About 90% of
issues posted here are the users fault, and in some way could be avoided.
But that time has passed, and it would be nice if you just helped the guy
rather than say something like "If you had taken just a few moments..."
Anyway, all the guy needs to do is go ahead and do a repair with an actual
OEM cd (any brand, as long as it is the same version). All setup does is
check to see if OEM is in the PID in setupp.ini (which is the case in ANY
vendor's OEM XP CD's), and it will accept OEM keys again... He doesn't have
to go out and spend money on a retail box... Maybe YOU should take a just
few moments to study how WPA and Microsoft keys work before posting things
like this...

Jim Graham