SP2 Boot failure, system freeze, AGPCPQ.SYS, AGP440.SYS lock-ups.

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Oct 19, 2004.

    Hi, I'm far from new to computers and I don't want to upset too many people
    but I have a major disappointment (and that's trying to be humble) with SP2.

    This is what I've found out so far concerning the issues with:
    - boot failures
    - lock-ups of system after re-boot
    - AGPCPQ.SYS or AGP440.SYS freeze in safe-mode after install.
    - UPDATE.SYS
    - KB885626 FIX failure

    1) First, I did what most users did. Update through Windows Update. Managed
    to download SP2 after an eternity (2 days) Broadband connection 10Mbit on my
    side...But I wasn't in a hurry.

    2) Install, everything seems ok. Reboot. "Blue screen of death" for half a
    millisecond and then autorestart. No safe-start, or any option makes system
    available!!! I'm basically locked out! Reinstall (Many thanks to Imaging
    Software!)

    3) Update all drivers, update Bios. Download SP2 full file for IT
    professionals and wait the 60 minuts it takes to reinstall SP2 (hugh)

    4) Re-boot. Computer dead again! In safe mode however, I get a stop at file
    AGPCPQ.SYS (just after AGP440.SYS) which to some might cause a "bling" since
    it coincides with a previous problem in Windows2000. However, I enter NTFSDos
    and remove the files for fun, this time process freezes at another file than
    the ones listed above. So thus, it is not an AGP drive issue like Microsoft
    Support throws in your face. I have updated the AGP to the very latest (and
    they are new). SIS645dx version 1.17e and also graphic card.

    5) Check support and get info on kb885626 Prescot computers. Verify with
    Intel Frequency ID Utility what processor I have. It reads Family: F, not a
    Prescot, but a Northwood - thus it is in the range of processors affected of
    the known issue with microcoding. Info is given to update BIOS or run the
    FIX. I do the latter since there is no newer fix than I already have.

    6) Restart after install of the fix (SP2 yet not installed!) and after 30-60
    seconds system freezes completely. Please note SP2 not installed and this is
    the fix that causes the problem with freeze! The same fix that is supposed to
    fix the install of SP2. Well, thank you! I'm not very positive about the
    outcome...

    7) Restart in safe mode and it works ok though. I then decide to, what the
    heck...

    8) Install SP2 - Reboot. Works ok, for about 30-60 seconds, then it's dead
    again, just like with the fix. But Halleluja. The SP2 installed this time and
    reboot works!! Safe-mode is ok and does not freeze up like normal mode. Good,
    now I can play.

    9) I get pe:d off and check the system files and do some real-playing around
    since MICROSOFT Support for SP2 does not offer any helpful advice and knows
    less than what I've figured out so far (have you updated your drives,
    unplugged usb's, bios updated, checked that the power-chord is plugged in
    (!??!) - Well, yes I have. And raindance and running around computer
    clock-wise three times. Erhh... let me get back on the issue they say.
    Haven't heard from them)

    10) I decide to do exactly what the KB885626 says I shouldn't do. I make a
    copy of the UPDATE.SYS from my original XP SP1a installation and save it.
    Then I do another (about the 10th installation of SP2) after the KB885626 fix
    that causes my computer to freeze after install. Then I rename the SP2 203 kb
    UPDATE.SYS and replace it with UPDATE.SYS (SP1a file - about 130kB). Double
    Halleluja. It works. NO freezes, NO lock-ups, NO problems... so far.

    Now to questions for you who made it through this post so far:
    - KB885626 does not work as it should! Faulty Fix for my type of processor?
    Not Prescot, but Northwood?
    - SP2 writes some bad code into UPDATE.SYS that causes processor to fail -
    is this needed in the file?
    - UPDATE.SYS - what does it do? Why does this file lock up my system, and
    without it, it works ok? Is it really that needed???
    - How come Microsoft says to us victims out there: Update your BIOS:es. It's
    not really our fault. If 20 motherboard manufacturors suddenly have to sit
    down and write BIOS codes for computers they don't even sell anymore, what
    kind of attack on this issue is that when it is an SP2 issue!!
    - And no, I don't sit on a crap computer. It is a laptop, top of the art 10
    months ago, and I can still play Far Cry on it. With laptops you have other
    issues as well - trying to find drives. I can't just unplug a device that
    easy or update a funky processor to check with another.

    So please all SP2 worshipers out there. There are issues with SP2. Full
    stop. It has not been Beta tested properly and several IT consultants are
    warning for issues of more than 10% of computer installations going funky.

    And please, Mr Microsoft. It's time to fix the issue properly (FIX for the
    885626fix or whatever). In this case the unsupported processors...

    My Info:
    - OS: Tried on XP Home, XP Pro, XP PRO Slipstreamed SP2. (slipstreamed
    freezes at installing devices (33 minutes reamining!) KB885626 not slipped or
    run into the installation disk, so it explains...
    - All tests on clean install (no antivirus, no other software, even without
    firewalls- Nada!)
    - Test has been made with standard drivers, complete update of drivers and
    even BIOS update (newest available on the market at this moment about 5
    months old!)
    - It has been tested with Windows Update and downloaded as an independent
    SP2 file.

    Computer:
    - Gericom Laptop 3.06 GHz, 512MB
    - ATI 9000 Mobility Radeon
    - WLAN SIS
    - HD Toshiba MK4025GAS
    - Matshita UJ-815A
    - Smart Link modem

    Processor:
    Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
    Version: 7.1.20040716
    Time Stamp: 2004/10/18 18:18:14
    Number of processors in system: 1
    Current processor: #1
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    Type: 0 <---------------------------- Funky Type?
    Family: F <---------------------------- Funky Family!
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 7 <---------------------------- Funky Stepping?
    Revision: 27
    L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
    L2 Cache: 512 KB
    Packaging: FC-PGA2
    MMX(TM): Yes
    SIMD: Yes
    SIMD2: Yes
    SIMD3: No
    NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
    Expected Processor Frequency: 3.06 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 3.06 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

    Many thanks.

    Guest, Oct 19, 2004

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    Did you ever install a Chipset driver for your laptop?? AGPCPQ.SYS and
    AGP440.SYS seem to be old, generic AGP slot drivers and only by install a
    correct AGP slot driver, it may correct this issue. The AGP slot drivers
    are usually included with the chipset drivers.

    Yves Leclerc, Oct 19, 2004

    Re: SP2 Boot failure, system freeze, AGPCPQ.SYS, AGP440.SYS lock-u

    Hi,
    I've installed the AGP update (SIS) and aslo updated graphic cards... the
    issue seems to not be AGP related as people generally tend to believe with
    the sp2 install, but with a microcoding issue (system only locks at
    AGP***.SYS files - but take the files away, and system locks earlier).

    Thanks anyway.

    Guest, Oct 19, 2004

    mihai77www

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello, I think I have the solution for you

    The solution is simple: enter in BIOS, go to Config, Serial ATA and at SATA Controller Mode Option select Compatibility instead AHCI. I give you the BIOS menu from a Lenovo T61 8889-B5G laptop. Yours could be a little bit different, but I gues you got the ideea. After that reinstall Windows and have fun :) Please let me now if it works:

    mihai77www, Jun 3, 2008

    reconamx

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same problem with my Lenovo T61. A couple weeks ago, I had the same problem. Maybe it locked up on agp440.sys instead of agpCPQ.sys like it does now. Anyway, I flashed my bios and it seemed to solve the problem. Today, the problem returned with a freeze on agpCPQ.sys. I tried the solution you offered here and altered the setting to compatibility and I still get the same lockup on boot.

    This is a problem indeed...

    reconamx, Jun 13, 2009

    Calmcookie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    The Answer to the SP2 and SP3 problem in this laptop is the 'update.sys' file which is in Windows/system32/drivers folder.

    If you load Windows XP with SP1 then go to the Windows/system32/drivers folder and copy the 'update.sys' file and put it somewhere safe....ie My Documents.

    Then load SP2 but before rebooting, after it has installed, go to the Windows/system32/drivers folder and rename the update.sys file to something like updown.txt. Get the SP1 copy of the update.sys and place it in the folder....THEN reboot the PC.

    It will work fine and there will be no lockups within 30secs of getting the desktop screen.

    Again if you want to go up to SP3 do exactly the same and the laptop will work fine.

    Took me 2 weeks to find the answer to this problem and I fixed the laptop so it now works just like new.

    Also I found by Partitioning the harddrive...UBUNTU 10.1 works really well on this laptop....so it's now dual-booting with either XP SP3 or UBUNTU.

    Hope this helps any Advent 7017 laptop owners out there.

    :D

    Calmcookie, Jul 6, 2010

    Oct 19, 2004
  2. AGPCPQ.SYS

    , Aug 17, 2004, in forum: Windows XP Setup
    Delwin Lee [MSFT]

    XP Pro install from image hangs at agpcpq.sys

    Guest, Apr 21, 2005, in forum: Windows XP Setup