Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Comast

Gary VanderMolen

Your receive problem is due to allowing AVG antivirus to mess
with your email program. Email scanning in any antivirus
should be disabled, for reasons explained here:

Your AVG antivirus was probably installed with its default
install option, which installs an email scanning module.
Just disabling its email scanning is not a sufficient remedy.
Uninstall AVG, then reinstall, but select 'custom' install, which
then allows you to unselect installing its troublesome email
scanning module. Even better, replace it with the free Microsoft
security program:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

That should clear your receive error. If you still get a send error,
please respond back. If the send error message is different,
post it with your reply.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"KimmiB" wrote in message

This is the error message I got when trying to send an email:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'hi', Account:
'pop3.virginmedia.com', Server: 'smtp.virginmedia.com', Protocol: SMTP,
Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E

And I got this second bit when even opening up Windows Mail:

Account: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot
connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90