Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Comast

Original Designs Stationery

I can no longer send emails from 3 of my 4 email accounts using Windows Mail.
I receive the following message.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'Gina
ODS', Server: 'smpt.CityMax.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Comcast suggest using port 587, my web store host says to use 25
I have tried using port 25, 587, 110 80 and every other configuration from
this site, comcast & citymax

Can anyone please help.

mac

"Original Designs Stationery"
I can no longer send emails from 3 of my 4 email accounts using Windows
Mail.
I receive the following message.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'Gina
ODS', Server: 'smpt.CityMax.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL):
No,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Comcast suggest using port 587, my web store host says to use 25
I have tried using port 25, 587, 110 80 and every other configuration from
this site, comcast & citymax

Can anyone please help.

Try changing the SMTP server to smtp.comcast.net tools>accounts>your
account>server tab.

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=2288

jehopp

I too am experiencing socket error 10060 and error number 0x800CCC0E and
error number 0x800CCC0D. I have spoken with my ISP and they have determined
it is not them, I have removed my Norton Internet Security and the problem
remains and it is now recommended that it is a Microsoft problem. Several
posts with this same problem. Microsoft what next?

Gary VanderMolen

Ordinarily you'd get "No such host" for smPT.citymax.com but I see that
CityMax has aliased it to smTP.citymax.com. Nice touch.

I assume your Internet connection is being obtained from Comcast.
In order to get this to work, make the following changes:

1. In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select the Gina ODS account,
click Properties, Servers. Change the name of the outgoing (SMTP)
server to smtp.comcast.net. Do not change the incoming server. Also,
make sure that the "My server requires authentication" option is checked.
Click the adjacent "Settings" button. Select "Log on using"
then enter your Comcast username and password. Click OK.

2. Go to the Advanced tab and verify that the port number for the
outgoing (SMTP) server is still 587. Click OK. Try sending.

Original Designs Stationery

Thanks Gary,
Everything is working perfect now.

--
Gina
www.originaldesignsstationery.com

Gary VanderMolen said:
Ordinarily you'd get "No such host" for smPT.citymax.com but I see that
CityMax has aliased it to smTP.citymax.com. Nice touch.

I assume your Internet connection is being obtained from Comcast.
In order to get this to work, make the following changes:

1. In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select the Gina ODS account,
click Properties, Servers. Change the name of the outgoing (SMTP)
server to smtp.comcast.net. Do not change the incoming server. Also,
make sure that the "My server requires authentication" option is checked.
Click the adjacent "Settings" button. Select "Log on using"
then enter your Comcast username and password. Click OK.

2. Go to the Advanced tab and verify that the port number for the
outgoing (SMTP) server is still 587. Click OK. Try sending.

Gary VanderMolen

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Original Designs Stationery said:
Thanks Gary,
Everything is working perfect now.

Peter Foldes

I did not send you an email. I posted in the newsgroup. Now wile leaving port 587 in
place disable your Antivirus email scanning by uninstalling your AV and then
re-installing it without the email integration (scanning)

Gary VanderMolen

You can only use the specific ports that your web host supports.
Ask them.
Is the error message the same or different when you use port 25?
If different, please post it here.
Another option is to substitute the SMTP server belonging to
your ISP (assuming you are sending from home).

"Unknown error" can be caused by interference from an
antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Gary VanderMolen

Contact your mail provider and ask what alternate SMTP ports
they support (besides '25').
Or tell us who your mail service provider is, and we can probably
look it up.

Gary VanderMolen

Here are the steps to take:

1. In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select your Back2backprotection
mail account, click Properties, Servers. Change the name of the outgoing
(SMTP) server to smtp.o2.co.uk. Do not change the incoming server. Also,
make sure that the "My server requires authentication" option is checked.
Click the adjacent "Settings" button. Select "Log on using"
then enter your username@@o2.co.uk email address, and the associated
password. Click OK.

5. Go to the Advanced tab and change the port number for the
outgoing (SMTP) server from 26 to 25. Do not change anything else.
Click OK. Try sending.

Gary VanderMolen

Yes, because you haven't changed the 'From' email address.

Note: It is the custom in this newsgroup to quote the post to
which you are replying. It makes for better continuity. Please
observe customary procedures.

mac

steve0071 said:
now ive got this....protocol: POP3, Port:110'Secure(SSL):No, Socket
Error:11001,Error Number 0x800CCC0D.....can anyone help!!!!!!!!

That is not the complete error message, please post it unedited.

Gary VanderMolen

We need to see the complete and verbatim copy of the error message,
not a partial paraphrase.

Gary VanderMolen

Either your Internet connection is intermittent, or else the DNS host
for hbaservices.co.uk is less than stellar.
There's nothing wrong with your Windows Mail settings.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

It usually helps to use the settings specified by the provider. :)

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"clix" wrote in message
WEll I'm using windows live on a windows 7 machine and was having the
very same issues, not sending, receiving errors. ALL I did was change
the outgoing server to smtp.comcast.net.. all good now

Gary VanderMolen

Do you get an error message when you try to send? If so, right-click
on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here. We
can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.
The error number by itself is not very helpful.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"KimmiB" wrote in message

Hi

I am having similar issues to those in this thread with Windows mail in
Vista, I'm pretty sure I've entered all the correct POP3 server and SMTP
server names correctly and even changed the port number from 25 to 587
but I still can't sent an email. Anybody have any ideas?