so much for linux

Matt

John said:
http://groups.osdl.org/osdl_members/osdl_roster/

"the recognized center of gravity for Linux"

But seriously.

Linux is doing well as a server operating system. But Windows
remains in total control of the personal computer market.

Maybe you don't want to count the tens or hundreds of thousands of PCs
that IBM uses internally. IBM has committed to using Linux internally.
After they have settled in with Linux, what do you think will be their
next logical step?

Maybe you don't want to count the cities of Berlin, Paris, or Bergen,
Norway, which altogether will have around 40,000 Linux PCs.

Matt

John said:
Last I checked, Microsoft is gaining in the server operating system
market.

Hmmm ... in what decade did you last check?

Please post a link to stats that say MS is gaining in the server market.

John Doe

Matt said:
Please post a link to stats to the effect that Windows market share
is rising.

It can't get much higher.

From the oldest to newest.

http://usvms.gpo.gov/findings_index.html

http://www.entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=5984
http://www.internetweek.com/ITServices/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15201904

"Microsoft Corp.'s Windows grabbed a bigger share of the market for
server operating systems, despite the widely held perception that
open source Linux threatens its dominant position, according to a
report released Wednesday by market researcher IDC."

"On the desktop, Windows's market share in new license shipments
inched up to 93.8 percent in 2002 from 93.2 percent. Linux's share
of the desktop also increased slightly to 2.8 percent from 2.3
percent."

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1573599,00.asp?kc=MWNKT0212KTX1K0000543

"Currently - as everyone from the Department of Justice to the most
stalwart Linux backer is well-aware - Microsoft has cornered in
excess of 90 percent of the desktop operating-system market."

(a joker from sci.med.dentistry)

John Doe

Matt said:
John Doe wrote:

Feel free to go do something else.
Why?

From: Matt <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux IS for everyone! FREE links!
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:33:18 GMT

Conor

John said:
http://groups.osdl.org/osdl_members/osdl_roster/

http://groups.osdl.org/osdl_members/osdl_roster/

http://groups.osdl.org/osdl_members/osdl_roster/

"the recognized center of gravity for Linux"

But seriously.

Linux is doing well as a server operating system. But Windows
remains in total control of the personal computer market.

Maybe you don't want to count the tens or hundreds of thousands of PCs
that IBM uses internally. IBM has committed to using Linux internally.
After they have settled in with Linux, what do you think will be their
next logical step?
[/QUOTE]
Nowt. IBM is a dying company. It is grasping at Linux in a last ditched
attempt to find a new revenue stream now that its finally given up on PC
manufacture.
Maybe you don't want to count the cities of Berlin, Paris, or Bergen,
Norway, which altogether will have around 40,000 Linux PCs.
And you ignore the ones that converted to Linux then went back to
Windows...

David Maynard

Lordy said:
@corp.supernews.com:

You are welcome.

I disagree. If you want Windows use windows.

I didn't say anything about 'wanting windows'. I want Linux to work.
Windows doesnt do this, OSX doesnt do that , Linux doesnt do the
other...

A "typical windows user" expects Windows without retraining (be-it
informal) - so give them Windows.

Its a straw man argument to say

No, yours is the straw man argument comprised of a pile of false
assumptions. Linux claims to work on a windows domain and I simply want it
to work as advertised.

So if Linux wants to make significant inroads into the desktop market it
has to deal with 'typical users'.

David Maynard

Lordy said:
130.133.1.4:

To qualify a bit more. A lot of people who dont like Linux (for whatever
reason) were really looking for a free Windows Clone. Whilst "Desktop"
Linux has improved in leaps and bounds - it is not - and likely never will
be - a Windows Clone. So People looking for Windows Clones are advised to
continue to look elsewhere other than Linux. "Oh woe is me - the
configuration tools are different"... People like this will always find
something to complain about because Linux is not a Windows clone.

You need to get over your preconceived notions of what 'everybody wants'
and pay more attention to what the hell they actually ask for.
The also happily ignore aspects of Linux that may even be better than
Windows. Its all boring...

You haven't a clue what I 'paid attention to' or 'ignored'. I made one, and
only one, comment that I can't get Linux to behave properly on a Windows
Domain even though it claims to be able to do so.

And from that you pretend to know 'everything' about what 'everybody wants'.

Lordy

You haven't a clue what I 'paid attention to' or 'ignored'. I made
one, and only one, comment that I can't get Linux to behave properly
on a Windows Domain even though it claims to be able to do so.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262167

If you want Windows get Windows,

Linux != Windows.

Same point again but maybe the penny will drop.

It is not a fault of Linux if it has problems with Windows Domains.
Put the blame elsewhere...

JAD

there are 2 linux machines down the street from me......and I saw one
once in an apartment window. I once saw linux distro CD laying in the
street. So it IS getting popular.

Matt

Conor said:
Nowt. IBM is a dying company. It is grasping at Linux in a last ditched
attempt to find a new revenue stream now that its finally given up on PC
manufacture.

Well isn't that a lot of BS?

Compare IBM's stock charts against Microsoft's for 6 months, 1 year, 2
years, and 5 years. IBM has solidly outperformed Microsoft in every
time frame:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft

Conor, it looks like the market hasn't found out yet what you know (that
IBM is dying). Now is your big chance to sell IBM short and make a huge
fortune.

Matt

Conor said:
And you ignore the ones that converted to Linux then went back to
Windows...

I believe it's been very rare for any organization to actually convert
to Linux and then switch back. I would like to hear of any specific
cases of that. Several have threatened to convert but ended up buying
from MS at huge discounts. MS would not have given the discounts if the
threat hadn't been real.

John Doe

Matt said:
Conor wrote:

Well isn't that a lot of BS?

I heard IBM gave up on PC manufacture, as of about two years ago?
Maybe IBM didn't like Microsoft dictating what software would be
preinstalled on IBM's personal computers.
Compare IBM's stock charts against Microsoft's for 6 months, 1
year, 2 years, and 5 years. IBM has solidly outperformed Microsoft
in every time frame:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IBM&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=msft
Conor, it looks like the market hasn't found out yet what you know
(that IBM is dying). Now is your big chance to sell IBM short and
make a huge fortune.

I don't agree that IBM is dying, but Microsoft is a much richer
company than IBM. Microsoft has over $50 billion in cash. As I
recall, Microsoft has been a close second in market value behind
General Electric.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3607072

"July 21, 2004 · Microsoft stock rises, a day after the software
giant said it would give some $75 billion in cash to shareholders
over the next four years -- roughly $3 a share."

Microsoft is extremely rich.

Ruel Smith

John said:
I heard IBM gave up on PC manufacture, as of about two years ago?
Maybe IBM didn't like Microsoft dictating what software would be
preinstalled on IBM's personal computers.

Or is it that IBM is tired of MS screwing them time and time again since the
about 1980?

From what I gather, IBM´s Linux business is doing well.
I don't agree that IBM is dying, but Microsoft is a much richer
company than IBM. Microsoft has over $50 billion in cash. As I
recall, Microsoft has been a close second in market value behind
General Electric.

After they get finished paying off all the lawsuits, like the current EU
one, they might not be so wealthy. Maybe one or two is a drop in the
bucket, but enough of them will eat away at them, big time.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3607072

"July 21, 2004 · Microsoft stock rises, a day after the software
giant said it would give some $75 billion in cash to shareholders
over the next four years -- roughly $3 a share."
Microsoft is extremely rich.

They never gave out a single dividend until recently.

John Doe

Ruel Smith said:
John Doe wrote:

Or is it that IBM is tired of MS screwing them time and time again
since the about 1980?

That too, and lots of other high technology companies, especially
software application programmers/publishers. Add to that Microsoft's
zeal for outsourcing and you have one very disagreeable company.
From what I gather, IBM´s Linux business is doing well.

After they get finished paying off all the lawsuits, like the
current EU one, they might not be so wealthy.

Less than 700 million USD, already paid. Microsoft having over 50
billion in cash, that was chump change.
Maybe one or two is a drop in the bucket, but enough of them will
eat away at them, big time.

Microsoft has a cash cow called "Windows". While Microsoft can
protect its desktop operating system monopoly power (think "positive
feedback loop"), given the same market, Microsoft can afford just
about anything.
They never gave out a single dividend until recently.

That's because they were a growth company. I guess there isn't much
left for Microsoft to eat and grow in the personal computer software
market.

David Maynard

Lordy said:

I don't want 'windows'. I want Linux to work as advertised.
Linux != Windows.

Same point again but maybe the penny will drop.

Same useless non point.

It is not a fault of Linux if it has problems with Windows Domains.

The hell is isn't.
Put the blame elsewhere...

You're a fool if you think being non interoperable with > 90% of the market
is a Linux 'feature'.