slow PC

wojo

I remember those from history class :)

Hemlock said:
I remember round cards that were punched by hand, teletypes,
oblong Holerith cards.
RCA made a race unit - random access card engine,
the data store looked like a punched card with magnetic strip.
It was selected pulled by belts and vacuum down a slot to a drum and
then read while spinning, then returned to the original location.
All this took 10- 20 seconds.
Application was for Washington Gaslight Co. 11 and H downtown DC.

We were lucky to get one turn around a day.
Never could get an abacus to work for me, more than one moving part.
<smile>

Hemlock

wojo

I'm 35 going on 21. Don't want to give up legally drinking etc...
Dating teenage girls is scary. They make them different than when we were
all kids. Can't tell the difference w/o carding them 1st!

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

You're welcome, Jim.

They were a little before my time but not much. I saw one in a museum like
display. As I recall, someone demonstrated it to me and I was allowed to
try to see if I could make it work. I may have done so at the time but if
you put one in front of me now, I wouldn't have the foggiest.

Hey, I was in the group that used to proudly brag and sophomorically giggle
about how I was going to do my homework on my "Wang."

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Uh, yeah, well, you see, I have this problem with regard to girls who didn't
live through the 60s, the two Kennedy assassinations and Martin Luther King.
I don't feel as though I have anything in common with a girl who didn't live
through that stuff.

On the other hand, even when I was 17, I tended to like more mature women;
the only difference today....I've caught up with them!<VBG>

Jim Macklin

The girls are 12 going on 21. The one who ARE 35 are trying
to look 21 by dressing 12.

| I'm 35 going on 21. Don't want to give up legally drinking
etc...
| Dating teenage girls is scary. They make them different
than when we were
| all kids. Can't tell the difference w/o carding them 1st!

in message
| | > I'm only 58, going on 17...as soon as I am 17 legally I
can
| > date teenager girls again, lots more fun 40 years ago
before
| > HIV.

| > | Did you grow up using an abacus? <jk>
| > |
| > | "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | message

| > Curta

it.
| > Did any
| > | > > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

they
| > were a
| > started

| > | > > |
| > | > > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Think of yourself as a teacher, explain about a total US
budget of $101 Billion that JFK submitted and caused an
outrage because it was so high in peace-time. About buying
a new car for $1,400 and filling the tank cost $5... about
not hearing about the news from around the world for 24-48
hours later. About how amazed we were to see the moon
launches and how every TV network gave 24/7 coverage. Until
Apollo 12. But how they went 24/7 for Apollo 13 only after
it had the accident.
About how Walter Crankcase personally decided that the US
had lost the war in VN and CBS made sure he was right.

BTW, Aural sex is the only safe sex.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| Uh, yeah, well, you see, I have this problem with regard
to girls who didn't
| live through the 60s, the two Kennedy assassinations and
Martin Luther King.
| I don't feel as though I have anything in common with a
girl who didn't live
| through that stuff.
|
| On the other hand, even when I was 17, I tended to like
more mature women;
| the only difference today....I've caught up with
them!<VBG>

| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > I'm only 58, going on 17...as soon as I am 17 legally I
can
| > date teenager girls again, lots more fun 40 years ago
before
| > HIV.

| > | Did you grow up using an abacus? <jk>
| > |
| > | "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | message

| > Curta

it.
| > Did any
| > | > > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

they
| > were a
| > started

| > | > > |
| > | > > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Bill Clinton used his wang too much.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| You're welcome, Jim.
|
| They were a little before my time but not much. I saw one
in a museum like
| display. As I recall, someone demonstrated it to me and I
was allowed to
| try to see if I could make it work. I may have done so at
the time but if
| you put one in front of me now, I wouldn't have the
foggiest.

| Hey, I was in the group that used to proudly brag and
sophomorically giggle
| about how I was going to do my homework on my "Wang."
|
| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > Thanks. My dad bought one in the 50s or 60s and after
he
| > died I got it. Case looks like a hand grenade case.
Works
| > fine nut TI SR10 was cheaper and faster.
| >
| > I wonder what my dad would think about a TI83 or HP 48?
| >

| > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm
| > |
| > | --
| > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > | Windows Shell/User
| > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
Curta

Did
| > any
| > | > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

were
started

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

wojo

Scary isn't it.

Jim Macklin said:
The girls are 12 going on 21. The one who ARE 35 are trying
to look 21 by dressing 12.

| I'm 35 going on 21. Don't want to give up legally drinking
etc...
| Dating teenage girls is scary. They make them different
than when we were
| all kids. Can't tell the difference w/o carding them 1st!

in message
| | > I'm only 58, going on 17...as soon as I am 17 legally I
can
| > date teenager girls again, lots more fun 40 years ago
before
| > HIV.

| > | Did you grow up using an abacus? <jk>
| > |
| > | "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | message

| > Curta

it.
| > Did any
| > | > > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

they
| > were a
| > started

| > | > > |
| > | > > |

| > |
| > |

wojo

So now you have to date women that are 112. Then they'll still be more
mature :)

wrote in message
Curta
| > > calculator?

Did any
| > > of you grow up
| > > |
wrote
| > > in message

were a
| > > little
started
| > > programming

| > > |
| > > |

wojo

LOL
Wow this thread changes subjects in a hurry!

Jim Macklin said:
Bill Clinton used his wang too much.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| You're welcome, Jim.
|
| They were a little before my time but not much. I saw one
in a museum like
| display. As I recall, someone demonstrated it to me and I
was allowed to
| try to see if I could make it work. I may have done so at
the time but if
| you put one in front of me now, I wouldn't have the
foggiest.

| Hey, I was in the group that used to proudly brag and
sophomorically giggle
| about how I was going to do my homework on my "Wang."
|
| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > Thanks. My dad bought one in the 50s or 60s and after
he
| > died I got it. Case looks like a hand grenade case.
Works
| > fine nut TI SR10 was cheaper and faster.
| >
| > I wonder what my dad would think about a TI83 or HP 48?
| >

| > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm
| > |
| > | --
| > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > | Windows Shell/User
| > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
Curta

Did
| > any
| > | > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

were
started

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

BTW, prices have not gone up, the money is just worth less
due to inflation.

in message | Think of yourself as a teacher, explain about a total US
| budget of $101 Billion that JFK submitted and caused an
| outrage because it was so high in peace-time. About
buying
| a new car for $1,400 and filling the tank cost $5... about
| not hearing about the news from around the world for 24-48
| hours later. About how amazed we were to see the moon
| launches and how every TV network gave 24/7 coverage.
Until
| Apollo 12. But how they went 24/7 for Apollo 13 only
after
| it had the accident.
| About how Walter Crankcase personally decided that the US
| had lost the war in VN and CBS made sure he was right.
|
| BTW, Aural sex is the only safe sex.
|

| "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| | | Uh, yeah, well, you see, I have this problem with regard
| to girls who didn't
| | live through the 60s, the two Kennedy assassinations and
| Martin Luther King.
| | I don't feel as though I have anything in common with a
| girl who didn't live
| | through that stuff.
| |
| | On the other hand, even when I was 17, I tended to like
| more mature women;
| | the only difference today....I've caught up with
| them!<VBG>
| |
| | --
| | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| | Windows Shell/User
| | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| |
| | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| in message
| can
| | > date teenager girls again, lots more fun 40 years ago
| before
| | > HIV.

| | > |

<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| | > Curta

| it.
| | > Did any
| | > | > > |
| <[email protected]>
| | > wrote

| they
| | > were a
| | > started

Shell/User

| | > | > > |
| | > | > > |

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Jim Macklin

Very. I was reading some find law stuff a few weeks ago and
think there are some real problems out there with lawmakers.

In most states it is legal to have sex with a person over 16
but it is illegal to have pictures or video of a sexual
nature of a person under 18.

There was a very badly done sci-fi movie about 10 years ago,
it had a scene with lawyers negotiating one-night-stands in
a bar, to verify ages, benefits and other details. Very
funny at the time. Did you ever think that the reason that
actor spent $50,000 on hookers was because that was cheaper
than a California palimony suit.

| Scary isn't it.

in message
| | > The girls are 12 going on 21. The one who ARE 35 are
trying
| > to look 21 by dressing 12.

drinking
| > etc...
| > | Dating teenage girls is scary. They make them
different
| > than when we were
| > | all kids. Can't tell the difference w/o carding them
1st!
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
legally I
| > can
ago
| > before

| > | > |

<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>

message

that's
| > it.
| > | > | > > |
| > <[email protected]>
| > | > | > > |

| > they

Shell/User

| > | > | > > |
| > | > | > > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

It was getting stale.

| LOL
| Wow this thread changes subjects in a hurry!

in message
| | > Bill Clinton used his wang too much.
| >

| > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > |
| > | They were a little before my time but not much. I saw
one
| > in a museum like
| > | display. As I recall, someone demonstrated it to me
and I
| > was allowed to
| > | try to see if I could make it work. I may have done
so at
| > the time but if
| > | you put one in front of me now, I wouldn't have the
| > foggiest.
| > |
| > | Hey, I was in the group that used to proudly brag and
| > sophomorically giggle
| > | about how I was going to do my homework on my "Wang."
| > |
| > | --
| > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > | Windows Shell/User
| > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > he
| > Works

48?

| > | > |
| > | > |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
| > Curta

| > Did
| > | > | > |
| > <[email protected]>

they
| > were
| > started

Shell/User

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

LOL, I have my limits.

--

wrote in message
Curta
| > > calculator?

Did any
| > > of you grow up
| > > |
wrote
| > > in message

were a
| > > little
started
| > > programming

| > > |
| > > |

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

That was true until the 1990s when the dollar began to increase in value
and, Voila, prices went down or stabilized. Interesting note, one of the
reasons Saudi Arabia has cited over the years for razing the price per
barrel of oil, a reason they cited in the most recent run up as well was the
lower value of the dollar. The dollar went into free fall in 2002.

--

Jim Macklin said:
BTW, prices have not gone up, the money is just worth less
due to inflation.

in message | Think of yourself as a teacher, explain about a total US
| budget of $101 Billion that JFK submitted and caused an
| outrage because it was so high in peace-time. About
buying
| a new car for $1,400 and filling the tank cost $5... about
| not hearing about the news from around the world for 24-48
| hours later. About how amazed we were to see the moon
| launches and how every TV network gave 24/7 coverage.
Until
| Apollo 12. But how they went 24/7 for Apollo 13 only
after
| it had the accident.
| About how Walter Crankcase personally decided that the US
| had lost the war in VN and CBS made sure he was right.
|
| BTW, Aural sex is the only safe sex.
|

| "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| | | Uh, yeah, well, you see, I have this problem with regard
| to girls who didn't
| | live through the 60s, the two Kennedy assassinations and
| Martin Luther King.
| | I don't feel as though I have anything in common with a
| girl who didn't live
| | through that stuff.
| |
| | On the other hand, even when I was 17, I tended to like
| more mature women;
| | the only difference today....I've caught up with
| them!<VBG>
| |
| | --
| | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| | Windows Shell/User
| | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| |
| | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| in message
| can
| | > date teenager girls again, lots more fun 40 years ago
| before
| | > HIV.

| | > |

<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| | > Curta

| it.
| | > Did any
| | > | > > |
| <[email protected]>
| | > wrote

| they
| | > were a
| | > started

Shell/User

| | > | > > |
| | > | > > |

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Actually, I rather like the fact at this stage of my life, a woman in her
40s seems the perfect age to me. She may be a little young to remember some
of the things you and I have mentioned but she still has the maturity I like
and I've found some real beauties in that age range I would never trade for
anyone younger.:)

--

Jim Macklin said:
Think of yourself as a teacher, explain about a total US
budget of $101 Billion that JFK submitted and caused an
outrage because it was so high in peace-time. About buying
a new car for $1,400 and filling the tank cost $5... about
not hearing about the news from around the world for 24-48
hours later. About how amazed we were to see the moon
launches and how every TV network gave 24/7 coverage. Until
Apollo 12. But how they went 24/7 for Apollo 13 only after
it had the accident.
About how Walter Crankcase personally decided that the US
had lost the war in VN and CBS made sure he was right.

BTW, Aural sex is the only safe sex.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| Uh, yeah, well, you see, I have this problem with regard
to girls who didn't
| live through the 60s, the two Kennedy assassinations and
Martin Luther King.
| I don't feel as though I have anything in common with a
girl who didn't live
| through that stuff.
|
| On the other hand, even when I was 17, I tended to like
more mature women;
| the only difference today....I've caught up with
them!<VBG>

| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > I'm only 58, going on 17...as soon as I am 17 legally I
can
| > date teenager girls again, lots more fun 40 years ago
before
| > HIV.

| > | Did you grow up using an abacus? <jk>
| > |
| > | "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | message

| > Curta

it.
| > Did any
| > | > > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

they
| > were a
| > started

| > | > > |
| > | > > |

| > |
| > |

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

I thought if he had "indulged himself" a little more and Monica not at all,
he would have been just fine. I guess he believed those old tales about
eyesight and warts, especially as he got older and his eyesight began to
fail.

--

Jim Macklin said:
Bill Clinton used his wang too much.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| You're welcome, Jim.
|
| They were a little before my time but not much. I saw one
in a museum like
| display. As I recall, someone demonstrated it to me and I
was allowed to
| try to see if I could make it work. I may have done so at
the time but if
| you put one in front of me now, I wouldn't have the
foggiest.

| Hey, I was in the group that used to proudly brag and
sophomorically giggle
| about how I was going to do my homework on my "Wang."
|
| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > Thanks. My dad bought one in the 50s or 60s and after
he
| > died I got it. Case looks like a hand grenade case.
Works
| > fine nut TI SR10 was cheaper and faster.
| >
| > I wonder what my dad would think about a TI83 or HP 48?
| >

| > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > | http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm
| > |
| > | --
| > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > | Windows Shell/User
| > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
Curta

Did
| > any
| > | > |
<[email protected]>
| > wrote

were
started

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

That is why a man need several wives, a teenage beauty to
keep you young, a wise mature woman to talk to, a healthy
young woman to have the kids, a mother-type to keep everyone
in line. ;<)

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| Actually, I rather like the fact at this stage of my life,
a woman in her
| 40s seems the perfect age to me. She may be a little
young to remember some
| of the things you and I have mentioned but she still has
the maturity I like
| and I've found some real beauties in that age range I
would never trade for
| anyone younger.:)
|
| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > Think of yourself as a teacher, explain about a total US
| > budget of $101 Billion that JFK submitted and caused an
| > outrage because it was so high in peace-time. About
buying
| > a new car for $1,400 and filling the tank cost $5...
about
| > not hearing about the news from around the world for
24-48
| > hours later. About how amazed we were to see the moon
| > launches and how every TV network gave 24/7 coverage.
Until
| > Apollo 12. But how they went 24/7 for Apollo 13 only
after
| > it had the accident.
| > About how Walter Crankcase personally decided that the
US
| > had lost the war in VN and CBS made sure he was right.
| >
| > BTW, Aural sex is the only safe sex.
| >

| > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
regard
| > to girls who didn't
| > | live through the 60s, the two Kennedy assassinations
and
| > Martin Luther King.
| > | I don't feel as though I have anything in common with
| > girl who didn't live
| > | through that stuff.
| > |
| > | On the other hand, even when I was 17, I tended to
like
| > more mature women;
| > | the only difference today....I've caught up with
| > them!<VBG>
| > |
| > | --
| > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > | Windows Shell/User
| > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
legally I
| > can
ago
| > before

| > | > |

<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>

message

that's
| > it.
| > | > | > > |
| > <[email protected]>
| > | > | > > |

| > they

Shell/User

| > | > | > > |
| > | > | > > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

I think Hilary told him to do what he wanted, with somebody
else, just no new kids.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| I thought if he had "indulged himself" a little more and
Monica not at all,
| he would have been just fine. I guess he believed those
old tales about
| eyesight and warts, especially as he got older and his
eyesight began to
| fail.
|
| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

in message
| | > Bill Clinton used his wang too much.
| >

| > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)"
| > |
| > | They were a little before my time but not much. I saw
one
| > in a museum like
| > | display. As I recall, someone demonstrated it to me
and I
| > was allowed to
| > | try to see if I could make it work. I may have done
so at
| > the time but if
| > | you put one in front of me now, I wouldn't have the
| > foggiest.
| > |
| > | Hey, I was in the group that used to proudly brag and
| > sophomorically giggle
| > | about how I was going to do my homework on my "Wang."
| > |
| > | --
| > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > | Windows Shell/User