Shortcut and exe files

Saine

Help me please to solve this problem.

I am using Windows 2000 Professional. When ever I click on
any *.exe files or any program shortcut I am getting this
error "The file does not have program associated with it
for perform the action. Create an association in the
folder option in Control Panel."

I have many programs that I cannot use right now,
specially if program starts with *.exe extension. Example
I have installed on my computer MS Office, if I click on
the shortcut of the MS word it will not open, and I will
get the same error.
But if I will double click on any Excel or Word file which
one I created before then it will open with out any error.
So please help me to solve this issue.

Manny thanks and regards.

Saine

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Try this:
- Click Start / Run
- Type cmd {OK}
- Type echo %pathext%

What do you get?

Saine

Yes i did and i got this info on there

.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

I got this info only.
one thing more when i want to make a shortcut i got an
other error ;

Rundll32.exe
Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.

Help me plz.
thanks
Saine

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Saine" <[email protected]>
Subject: Shortcut and exe files
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 04:04:18 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

Help me please to solve this problem.

I am using Windows 2000 Professional. When ever I click on
any *.exe files or any program shortcut I am getting this
error "The file does not have program associated with it
for perform the action. Create an association in the
folder option in Control Panel."

I have many programs that I cannot use right now,
specially if program starts with *.exe extension. Example
I have installed on my computer MS Office, if I click on
the shortcut of the MS word it will not open, and I will
get the same error.
But if I will double click on any Excel or Word file which
one I created before then it will open with out any error.
So please help me to solve this issue.

Manny thanks and regards.

Saine
---

Saine,

Make a copy of Regedit.exe as Regedit.com. Once this is done go to Start\Run and run Command.com. At the prompt run
Regedit.com, you may need to change to the directory where you put the copy. This should hopefully run Regedit. At this
point go to the following registry key.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

Make sure the Default value is set to EXEFILE, if it is not we want to change it so it is. Now go to the following registry key.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

Make sure the Default value is set to

"%1" %*

If it is not we want to change it to this. You may need to reboot but now see if you can run a .EXE program.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.