Open Multiple Microsoft Office Documents in Alphabetical Order from Windows Explorer.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Sorry. Instead of a question, I just have this solution that I want to share. I noticed nobody here asking for it. But, just in case, here it is.

QUESTION: When we open multiple Microsoft Office documents from Windows Explorer, they don't seem to open alphabetically. How do we do it?

ANSWER (Old MS Office Versions):

In your Explorer window, supposing you have five (5) files named A, B, C, D, E. The sequence goes like this:
1. Single-Click file B. This acts as the anchor point for most of the selection.
2. Shift-Click the last file. In this case, E. By this time, B to E is now selected. Only A is unselected.
3. To include A, Control-Click file A to complete the selection.
4. Press the Enter button.

ANSWER (Newer MS Office Versions; per app; Excel example):

1. Create a shortcut from the MS Excel application. Put it somewhere easily accessible such as the Desktop.
2. In Explorer, ready your files because you'll be dragging them to the MS Excel shortcut.
3. Select the files you want to open simultaneously and alphabetically. It doesn't matter how you select them.
4. This is the curious part. When you drag and drop the selected files to the MS Excel shortcut, it matters which file among the group your cursor is pointing at. That file will be the first to be opened. The rest will be opened alphabetically after the one you're pointing at.
5. Example: You have files A, B, C, D, E. We select them all and drag-drop them to the MS Excel shortcut. If we're pointing at D, then the order will appear as D, A, B, C, E. Hence, we need to select all needed files then point-drag to the shortcut the file we need to open first.

Hope that helps !!!

-- Rome Balde

Ask a Question