SFC /SCANNOW stops scanning at 98%

Steelcity1981

SFC stopped scanning at 98% due to courrpted files it cannot fix. How do you
go about fixing these files? Because unlike XP's sfc, Vista's sfc isn't
prompting me for the vista cd to fix the remainder of these files.

I tried going into vista's installation cd and going into repair and then
command prompted thinking i can do a sfc /scannow from there but i get a
Windows Resource Protection message, which blocks me from doing anything
further.

I'm at an end here.

Thanks.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Have you checked the event viewer to see if it has logged what halted the
sfc process? It doesn't prompt for the disk because the files are already on
the system.

What were you trying to fix by running sfc in the first place?

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Peter

It is a false alarm caused by KB941600. See the post in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
dated 27/11 by Kristan Kenney entitled "KB941600 cause sfc.exe /scannow"

Steelcity1981

Something is up with my taskbar group buttons in the properties. Everytime I
check to have similar files grouped, it still puts it on the classic way. So
i tried an sfc scan to see if ti can fix the problem

Peter

All I can do is quote that post:

Just a heads up, I've noticed on a lot of systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows Vista, multiple SKU's) that KB941600 causes SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to
report the following:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them."

I've reviewed the CBS.log file in accordance to KB928228 and KB929833, and
CBS.log reports that there are no corrupted files. I have also spoken with a
Microsoft Technical Support Professional in regards to this issue for about
6
hours and the only solution is to not install this hotfix (which provides a
baseline quality level for the USB Core Components in Windows Vista).

My question is this- why does this hotfix cause Windows system state
corruption, and is there any other known workarounds for this issue? Also,
has anyone else noticed this behavior after installing KB941600?

Unquote...it appears unanswered so far.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Send me the cbs.log file from your system.
c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log and the cbs.persist.log from the same location.
Zip them up first as they may get pretty large.
Remove the work online from my email address before sending it.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RlZWxjaXR5MTk4MQ==?=
<[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC /SCANNOW stops scanning at 98%
|> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:07:01 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Uninstalling KB941600 didn't work. I'm still having the same problems.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello.
Use my email name from my posting and remove the work online from it.
I don't post it because otherwise I get too much spam email.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RlZWxjaXR5MTk4MQ==?=
<[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC /SCANNOW stops scanning at 98%
|> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:17:01 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Ok where do I send the CBS.log file to you?

John Green

It must be a problem with an update as i have this problem,a wouldn't worry about it as it sounds like another vista bug i just hope they bring out a fix for this.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Northerner

I agree with Peter's reply 100% ,it must be a false alarm sfc/scannow
stops at 98% due to corrupted files which cannot be fixed ,after i updated
KB941600 i had the same showing (scan stopping at 98% due to corrupt files)
..Strangely uninstalling this update and system restore does not fix this as
the sfc/scannow , still stops at 98% .My computer is running fine though and
i had no 'corrupt files,showing up in sfc/scannow before this update.Peter"
wrote:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Everything I have been looking into is that this is a false alarm and there
is no issue with the OS.
Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread.
PnP is reporting temporary files as missing or corrupted because they have
been moved to their permanent location.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Tm9ydGhlcm5lcg==?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC /SCANNOW stops scanning at 98%
|> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:37:02 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> I agree with Peter's reply 100% ,it must be a false alarm sfc/scannow
|> stops at 98% due to corrupted files which cannot be fixed ,after i
updated
|> KB941600 i had the same showing (scan stopping at 98% due to corrupt
files)
|> .Strangely uninstalling this update and system restore does not fix this
as
|> the sfc/scannow , still stops at 98% .My computer is running fine
though and
|> i had no 'corrupt files,showing up in sfc/scannow before this
update.Peter"
|> wrote:
|>
|> > It is a false alarm caused by KB941600. See the post in
|> > microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|> > dated 27/11 by Kristan Kenney entitled "KB941600 cause sfc.exe
/scannow"
|> > --
|> > Peter
|> > Toronto, Canada