Windows Vista seeting up background picture

Reaction score
i am quite new to this, and i have got a laptop pc and have had a new hard drive on it. now it is aking me for a product key number in order to activate windows, i have typed in the number on the bottom of pc but it is saying that it is not genuine and also i cant keep my background picture on the sceen it keeps going to a black screen can anyone help ?
thanks
andnow

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, have you done a fresh install of Windows?

Which version of Windows?

Was the new hard disk to replace a faulty hard disk that had Windows on it?

Or maybe a bigger hard disk for more space that took a fresh install of Windows.

I'm not sure about the picture problem, try changing the stock windows desktops and see if Windows keeps them. If it does, check the picture you're trying to use as a desktop, it may be corrupted.

As for Windows saying your code number is not genuine, it will have noticed the hardware change and that's why it won't let you activate.

This is a common occurence with Microsoft's Windows and is a Royal pain in the bot but you'll have to go through the telephone activation sequence to activate Windows.

I had to do this with Win 7 after just two months' use when I done a fresh install thanks to a Bios flash failure :mad:

The option to activate by telephone should be there when you attempt to activate Windows. I usually find it best to write the numbers down when they're read out by the Microsoft robot, then when you're given the option to check them, do so.

Reaction score
thanx floppy
it is vista and it is a replacment hard drive done by dare i say a friend will try the desk top thing you said where will i find stock windows is it the nice ones you get on windows lol

here's hopin

Reaction score
Did you're friend install the same version of Win7 that you have key for?

ie

Premium
Ultimate etc etc

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TXD: It's Vista, not Win 7 :)

Good point about OS being same version, that'd fubar things.

Truth is though, Microsoft are so paranoid they switch to telephone activation for the very slightest reason, and I hate them for it.

Don't get that problem with Linux Mint, lol ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
andnow said:
thanx floppy
it is vista and it is a replacment hard drive done by dare i say a friend will try the desk top thing you said where will i find stock windows is it the nice ones you get on windows lol

here's hopin

The 'stock' windows images will show when you enter the option to change desktop image, they'll be listed there along with the option to browse to a 'non-stock' picture of your choice.

Ask a Question