Security software that just works?

Reaction score
I dream of not having to worry about the security software I put on home users PCs, but I am not there yet.

Two things get in the way: they mess up, the slow PCs to a crawl.

So what is the word on the street about which is the best Internet Security Software to put on your dear old mum’s PC? Here is what I have found:

Norton

Forget it. If you put it on a machine you will get support calls for ever more. It used to work, but no longer does. The performance impact is also horrendous. To top it off it can even be next to impossible to remove when you do realise what a mistake you have made.

McAfee

Don’t install SpamKiller or you will regret it (errors left, right and centre). The other components will sometimes switch themselves off for no reason with that little red M going black (but not announcing the fact other than that). Sometimes it says the database for the privacy service is corrupt (also for no apparent reason). And it will keep bothering users about validating their subscription. Other than that, seem ok.

Other packages

Do not know, only tried them in ones and twos (whereas Norton and McAfee I have personally installed hundreds of times each, so I have a big enough sample size to know what is happening).

So what do you think? What software has all the features (antivirus, firewall, spam, parental, control) that a normal home user needs in one easy package, but either brings the machine to its knees, or makes me look bad because it throws errors after I have installed it.

I am not interested if you have installed Kaspersky, Bitdefender, or ZoneAlam once and it worked ok. I am not that interested if you have installed stalled one thousand times, but on exactly the same build. I want to hear from engineers that have installed the same package on every kind of machine out there from old junk to hot rods and found that the stuff just worked and made them look good.

A lot of folks say AVG, but I cannot make a living selling AVG. Also I need single package with firewall etc. Home users do not want to hear about AVG from here, ZoneAlam from there, inboxer from there and so on. One integrated pack is what is wanted.

Any takers?

Reaction score
That’s encouraging!

Surely there must be someone out there who wants to defend their favourite?

Reaction score
>Linux

Yes, yes, very funny. But I cannot change every PC in the world to Linux single handed. We are stuck with what is out there, so we have to make it work.

Reaction score
But from that poll this has happened
"I'm one of those dumb idiots, I don't have an Anti-Virus program"
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
182. 15.88%

So you see their are people who just hope nothing happens:rolleyes: :eek:

Ask a Question