Same downloads every day

m_middleton

Every day, the Automatic updates says I need to download
the same two critical updates: KB867801 and KB833989.
Thing is, I've downloaded them using both Automatic
Updates and the Windows update site about a dozen times in
the last few weeks. They don't show up in my list of
installed patches. I've googled the hell out of this
problem, with no success.

Does anyone know (a)How to fix this and/or (b)Why this
occurs?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Terrence Tan [MSFT]

Generally, when installing updates, the Windows Update site will scan the
system to
check file versions and compare with the latest database on the machine. If
the
machine cannot correctly detect the components version, the files they
tried to
replace remain the old version. (In some situations, this will not be
noticed by
the installation history logging engine and the update will be logged as
"Successful".) Then, the same updates will be re-offered the next time the
system
is scanned.

Try the steps in KB 822798 "You cannot install some updates or programs"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822798

Or try downloading the hotfix install packages to local machine
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-025.mspx),
boot to safe mode and install the hotfixes.

***
Terrence Tan
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me.
This allows others to add to and benefit from these threads
and also helps to ensure a more timely response.
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either
expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting
are mine and do not necessarily express or reflect the views
and/or opinions of Microsoft.
From: "m_middleton" <[email protected]>
Sender: "m_middleton" <[email protected]>
Subject: Same downloads every day
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:10:09 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

Every day, the Automatic updates says I need to download
the same two critical updates: KB867801 and KB833989.
Thing is, I've downloaded them using both Automatic
Updates and the Windows update site about a dozen times in
the last few weeks. They don't show up in my list of
installed patches. I've googled the hell out of this
problem, with no success.

Does anyone know (a)How to fix this and/or (b)Why this
occurs?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I tried the 2nd suggestion, and the patch said I didn't
have IE 6 with SP 1, so I decided to download and
reinstall IE. Seems to be working ok now, downloaded the
two patches and now I'm downloading some other ones.