"...RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located..." (again, but...)

Jacek Bogucki

Hi.
As many other people (considering amount of similar posts around the Web)
...I have similar message when starting _many diferent_ applications:
"The procedure entry point RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located
in dynamic link library ntdll.dll".

I don't ask for plain sollution - I assume there is no such thing in this
case (I searched "everywhere") ;)

The actual questions are:
Can anybody tell me how to troubleshoot this? What software "could" I use to
pinpoint that "presumably other dll" that causes this problem (ntdll.dll is
newest one and correct)?
Is it posible, that it's some registry error? It feels like it just under my
skin...

The system is Win2K SP4 En.
Any sensible sugestions are welcome!
Jacek Bo.

George Hester

Try the sfc command in the command prompt. Have you tried that? This is showing as though it has something to do with ntdll.dll but I suspect the issue is in kernel32.dll. Start | Run | sfc /scannow <ENTER> after you reinstall your Service Pack and reboot. You may need to uninstall IE if you are above 5.01 before you install the Service Pack. If you do not you will be umable to remove IE back to a previous version in the future. Also do the sfc command with the Windows 2000 CD-ROM in the player.

Jacek Bogucki

Did not help. :(
1. I run "sfc /scannow" - it wants SP4 CD, which I don't have - I deleted
SP4 "install" dir from Win2k folder to save space, so...
2. I re-applied SP4, restart - and same thing - bunch of dialog boxes with
this dreaded message (I have many apps in startup) :) During SP4 instalation
I had very strange situation - it said that file atapi.sys is used by
another app and I could only retry or cancel(!!). Strange, because I though
that blocked files in such case are skipped and replaced after restart! But
what is even more strange - I checked the file and had no trouble manually
deleting it(!!!). After that - "retry" and SP4 finished correctly.
3. After restart speaker starts beeping everytime when system sound should
be played (!) - of course I have working sound card. Little but annoying
glitch. I run "sfc /scannow" again - now it asks for Win2k CD when it needs
it, because "some files are changed". Finished correctly, but didn't ask for
restart. Restarted anyway, and... same thing! :(((
4. I went to WindowsUpdate to see what's missing now and last DirectX update
appeared (again - it was applied before). I installed it of course and now
I'm basically in same point as before (except for that system beep through
PC speaker - sound card works obviously) :)

Try the sfc command in the command prompt. Have you tried that? This is
showing as though it has something to do with ntdll.dll but I suspect the
issue is in kernel32.dll. Start | Run | sfc /scannow <ENTER> after you
reinstall your Service Pack and reboot. You may need to uninstall IE if you
are above 5.01 before you install the Service Pack. If you do not you will
be umable to remove IE back to a previous version in the future. Also do
the sfc command with the Windows 2000 CD-ROM in the player.

masterprometheus

Did you try this solution before ? It might work. It worked for many
people :

Find uxtheme.dll and rename it to something else (like uxtheme.old) .

Good luck
MP

Jacek Bogucki

yyyyyYYYYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!
It worked!! Thank YOU!!!

Wow. I've never seen this sollution anywhere.
My uxtheme.dll version was 6.0.2800.1106. Dependency Walker clearly shows
that it calls procedures that are not in my Windows version.

According to MS DLL Help Database
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dl
linfo.asp) ..this file is used only in XP/2003. How did it get here? :)

Anyway - thanks again - one more thing working as it's expected. If now I
could only solve those mysterious random Explorer crashes... :)

masterprometheus

Wow. I've never seen this sollution anywhere.
My uxtheme.dll version was 6.0.2800.1106. Dependency Walker clearly shows
that it calls procedures that are not in my Windows version.

According to MS DLL Help Database
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversio
n/dl
linfo.asp) ..this file is used only in XP/2003. How did it get here?
:)

Outlook ? ?
Anyway - thanks again - one more thing working as it's expected. If now I
could only solve those mysterious random Explorer crashes... :)

That's easy : gremlins.

Have a nice day
MP

George Hester

OK but I am wondering about
"...RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located..."

Are you still getting that?

Jacek Bogucki

OK but I am wondering about
"...RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located..."
Are you still getting that?

Renaming/removing uxtheme.dll made it disappear. :D
The file is apparently for WinXP. It simply calls some XP function(s) that
are not present in ntdll.dll Win2K.

Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter

YES! This cure worked for me as well, after putting up with the error for over a year! THANK YOU ALL!