rsh command hangs

mike

I have w2k w/ sp4. I have a bat file which calls rsh to a
unix server and the rsh command now hangs. I think this
started happening after applying sp4 (I was told to
upgrade to sp4 when the blaster virus hit).

The rsh command would execute a unix script and do its
thing, complete and return back to my DOS script.

Here are the debugging steps that I've done so far.
1) I placed print statements before and after the rsh call
2) I have print statements on the unix side indicating
when my bourne shell script exits

I see my print statements before the RSH command and I
see my bourne shell print statements upon exiting the
shell.

Control never appears to return back to my DOS script
because:
1) I never see the print statements after the RSH
command.
2) My task manager indicates that rsh.exe is still
running.

I accidentally discovered that if I hit a <CR> in my DOS
window ... control somehow comes back to my DOS script
and everything after the RSH command executes fine.

I also tried to see if lines before the RSH command may
cause the rsh to hang. I commented out blocks of code and
slowly started uncommenting lines. I noticed that when
the script does very little the rsh command works fine.
But after certain lines are added back in the RSH hangs
again. It is NOT a particular line that causes this
problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

mike

Ritchie

mike said:
I have w2k w/ sp4. I have a bat file which calls rsh to a
unix server and the rsh command now hangs. I think this
started happening after applying sp4 (I was told to
upgrade to sp4 when the blaster virus hit).

Craig had a similar problem after installing SP4, and he found a
workaround:-

From: Craig Ferraguti ([email protected])
Subject: cmd.exe /c not automatically closing
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin