Router unsecured.

Reaction score
I`ve just noticed that my router is showing an open padlock which,I presume, means it`s not secured,if this is so how do I go about securing it.
Many thanks for any replies.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You need to change the security level. To do this you need to go into the router's setup which is accessed by putting it's address in your browser's address bar and pressing Enter.

You may need to enter a user name and password. If you're not sure how to do that consult the router's manual or phone the helpline. Not having your router secured means people nearby with a wireless connection could use your waveband.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
is this padlock associated with your firewall?

are you using wireless, or wired?

What is the name of the router, or, who is your ISP that supplied it?

if not using wireless, then turn wireless off, if you cannot turn it off, ask your ISP to supply a "proper" router. :)

:user:

Reaction score
Thankyou floppybootstomp and muckshifter for your replies.
I have just realised that the thing I`m talking about is a NETGEAR GENIE N150 wireless usb adapter,which plugs into my usb hub. The actual MODEM is in another room close to the main `phone.
But I don`t think that even the main router,which is also a NETGEAR,is secured.
Sorry to confuse the issue.
Many thanks for your replies.
Historian

Ask a Question