A query re: anti virus programs.

Reaction score
Hello.

Just a quick query.
I use AOL as my ISP. It has it`s own spywear prog` running.
I have also ETRUST anti-virus program running,which I`ve used for two years now,in fact it`s just been re-subscribed for another two years. What I would like to know is; are these two liable to conflict with each other. If so what would the symptoms likely to be?
I`m running windows XP home edition.
The computer is;
Mesh micro ATX mini tower.
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor.

As far as I can see nothing out of the ordinary is happening.
Many thanks
historian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Usually a program will ask to remove any other conflicting programs. If you wasn't prompted to remove any programs* then you can run under the assumption that there's no confliction, thus you can continue to use both (if you wish to do so).

* - Providing one of the antiviruses were already installed when installing the other.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is, no, do not run two AV programs at the same time.

Did you actually install the 'offerings' from AOL, or is it just a "spam" filter at their end ... if it's anything like BT Yahoo, I wish you luck. ;)

Oh, ang on ... I just re-read your post; :D

Spyware software can be run, in fact you need some sort of ant-spyware program, they will happily run along side your anti-virus program.

Can you clarify what AOL has on offer?

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
As far as I can remember AOL's spyware stuff was quite good , I ran it and checked it out with Ad Aware and Spybot and it showed good results .
Don't use it now as I have dumped the AOL software and run through a router , a much better way of being . Mind you I still use their McAfee firewall .

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd say if nothing untoward is happening, if you're getting no error messages or crashes or seizes, whatever, then all is good.

If two programs clash it's very likely you'll get a pointer.

And as Mucks pointed out, it looks as though you have one anti-spyware program running along with one anti virus program, which is ok.

Generally speaking, it's only two anti-virus programs trying to exist in tandem that may produce a conflict.

Ask a Question