removipng inet 8 and returnipng to inet 5

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by jim, May 2, 2012.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.

    Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
    8.

    So I did.

    Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.

    Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
    boot, but for all third party application starts in session.

    Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.

    The new .net framework does.

    How do i return to Inet 5 from here?

    jim

    jim, May 2, 2012

  2. jim

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    >I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.
    >
    > Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
    > 8.
    >
    > So I did.
    >
    > Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.
    >
    > Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
    > boot, but for all third party application starts in session.
    >
    > Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.
    >
    > The new .net framework does.
    >
    > How do i return to Inet 5 from here?
    >

    > jim

    XP (this forum) never had IE5, IE6 was the built-in IE program so you will
    need to be more specific.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, May 2, 2012

  3. jim

    jim Guest

    No doubt you feel better now

    On Tue, 1 May 2012 16:51:18 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
    "Bruce Hagen" <>, wrote

    jim, May 2, 2012
  4. jim

    Paul Guest

    jim wrote:
    > I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.
    >
    > Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
    > 8.
    >
    > So I did.
    >
    > Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.
    >
    > Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
    > boot, but for all third party application starts in session.
    >
    > Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.
    >
    > The new .net framework does.
    >
    > How do i return to Inet 5 from here?
    >

    > jim

    It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
    could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
    these would be your recipes.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforxp

    "To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

    1. Exit all programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click Add or Remove Programs.
    4. In the list of currently installed programs,
    click "Windows Internet Explorer 8", and then click Remove.

    Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 is not included in the
    list of installed updates, you can try the alternative steps
    for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003 .
    5. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
    6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.
    "

    "Alternative steps for Windows XP [i.e. if first recipe fails to work]

    To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

    1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
    %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press Enter.
    4. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
    5. Press Enter to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
    6. After the program is removed, restart your computer.
    "

    The second procedure uses a Command Prompt window. What they're
    claiming, is there is an "ie8" folder on your C: drive, and
    down in there, is an "spuninst.exe" file. You run that file
    from the Command Prompt, by pasting that string with the
    percents in it. The %windir% gets converted to C:\WINDOWS
    when the environment variable is translated. So it
    could be in effect

    C:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

    and that is the same thing that gets executed if there had
    been an Add/Remove entry for IE8 listed. It would be
    executing that same file. The Command Prompt window will
    whine, if that file doesn't exist when you try to run it.
    You can use the file explorer to check for it.

    *******

    I have this bookmark to offer you. It's a recipe to get
    IE6 SP1. I think that's what I'm running here on some
    machines. The idea is, using this method, to prepare a
    directory with whatever is needed for IE6 SP1, so it
    doesn't need to download any additional stuff. But seeing
    as how you've been a "victim" so far, I wouldn't be
    doing this today :) Wait a week, until you've got
    the bad taste out of your mouth :)

    http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

    Note that the web site, also hate IE6 SP1, and will be
    making statements that "your experience will be so much
    better, if you install something more bloated". So it's
    not like the abuse from these sites will stop or anything,
    if you switch to IE6 SP1.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 2, 2012
  5. jim

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > No doubt you feel better now

    I am not a mind reader. <Plonk>
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, May 2, 2012
  6. jim

    jim Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <>, wrote

> [...]

    >whine, if that file doesn't exist when you try to run it.
    >You can use the file explorer to check for it.
    >
    >*******
    >
    >I have this bookmark to offer you. It's a recipe to get
    >IE6 SP1. I think that's what I'm running here on some
    >machines. The idea is, using this method, to prepare a
    >directory with whatever is needed for IE6 SP1, so it
    >doesn't need to download any additional stuff. But seeing
    >as how you've been a "victim" so far, I wouldn't be
    >doing this today :) Wait a week, until you've got
    >the bad taste out of your mouth :)
    >
    >http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html
    >
    >Note that the web site, also hate IE6 SP1, and will be
    >making statements that "your experience will be so much
    >better, if you install something more bloated". So it's
    >not like the abuse from these sites will stop or anything,

    Thanks, Paul.

    I installed SP3 *before* IE8.

    lemme check to make sure I got the spuninst.exe

    (fixed pitch font will look better here)

    ~~~~~
    ¦ +--Help
    ¦ +--ie8
    ¦ ¦ +--spuninst
    ¦ +--ime
    ¦ +--inf
    ¦ +--Installer
    ¦ +--java
    ¦ +--l2schemas
    ¦ +--Media
    ¦ +--Microsoft.NET
    ¦ +--Minidump
    ¦ +--msagent
    ¦ +--msapps
    ¦ +--mui
    spuninst .inf updspapi .dll
    spuninst .txt spuninst .exe
    iecustom .dll
    spuninst.exe.ma?
    ~~~~

    Yup. I am good to go.

    After that i will remove .net framework 3.0, sp2 if it is still there.

    Thanks! It is amazing how we can grow to depend things (like "Add/Remove"
    programs)

    Thanks again,

    jim

    jim, May 2, 2012
  7. jim

    jim Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <>, wrote

    >It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
    >could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
    >these would be your recipes.

    Done. Uninstalled IE8 via spuinst.exe in the subdirectory.
    Restarted Machine.
    Checked to see if the .net framework 3.0, sp2 was still there -- it was.
    Uninstalled it via "Add/Remove" programs.
    Restarted machine.

    Checked a win 3.1 app, Lotus 5.0, that took over five minutes -- no
    kidding, by the clock -- to start this morning, and it gave the splash
    screen near immediately and was ready to run in under 10 seconds.

    jim

    jim, May 2, 2012
  8. jim

    glee Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <>, wrote
    >

    >>It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
    >>could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
    >>these would be your recipes.

    > Done. Uninstalled IE8 via spuinst.exe in the subdirectory.
    > Restarted Machine.
    > Checked to see if the .net framework 3.0, sp2 was still there -- it
    > was.
    > Uninstalled it via "Add/Remove" programs.
    > Restarted machine.
    > ..
    >
    > Checked a win 3.1 app, Lotus 5.0, that took over five minutes -- no
    > kidding, by the clock -- to start this morning, and it gave the splash
    > screen near immediately and was ready to run in under 10 seconds.
    >
    > jim

    Your initial problem with slow response after installing .NET Framework
    3 may have simply been due to a normal process after a .NET
    installation, that can cause high (up to 100%) CPU usage while new
    assemblies are compiled after the installation. There is a command you
    can issue to have the compiling done at once after the installation, so
    it only takes a few minutes.

    Rather than uninstalling it, you might have been able to simply wait for
    mscorsvw.exe to finish its maintenance. Of course, if you have no
    programs that run on .NET Framework 3, then you don't need it installed
    at all.

    IE8 probably didn't have anything to do with your issue.... unless you
    installed it with the anti-virus app enabled and/or while running other
    programs.

    What is mscorsvw.exe and why is it eating up my CPU? What is this new
    CLR Optimization Service? -
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/412838.aspx

    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, May 2, 2012
  9. jim

    jim Guest

    On Wed, 2 May 2012 00:06:07 -0400, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
    "glee" <>, wrote

    >"jim" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
    >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <>, wrote
    >>

    >>>It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
    >>>could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
    >>>these would be your recipes.

    >> Done. Uninstalled IE8 via spuinst.exe in the subdirectory.
    >> Restarted Machine.
    >> Checked to see if the .net framework 3.0, sp2 was still there -- it
    >> was.
    >> Uninstalled it via "Add/Remove" programs.
    >> Restarted machine.
    >> ..
    >>
    >> Checked a win 3.1 app, Lotus 5.0, that took over five minutes -- no
    >> kidding, by the clock -- to start this morning, and it gave the splash
    >> screen near immediately and was ready to run in under 10 seconds.
    >>
    >> jim

    >Your initial problem with slow response after installing .NET Framework
    >3 may have simply been due to a normal process after a .NET
    >installation, that can cause high (up to 100%) CPU usage while new
    >assemblies are compiled after the installation. There is a command you
    >can issue to have the compiling done at once after the installation, so
    >it only takes a few minutes.
    >
    >Rather than uninstalling it, you might have been able to simply wait for
    >mscorsvw.exe to finish its maintenance. Of course, if you have no
    >programs that run on .NET Framework 3, then you don't need it installed
    >at all.
    >
    >IE8 probably didn't have anything to do with your issue.... unless you
    >installed it with the anti-virus app enabled and/or while running other
    >programs.
    >
    >What is mscorsvw.exe and why is it eating up my CPU? What is this new
    >CLR Optimization Service? -
    >http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/412838.aspx

    Thanks Glee, and i have no doubt you are correct for a standard IE8
    installation.

    The machine had been through 2 reboots and about 36 hours of run time
    after the install and before the deinstall of the two apps (IE 8 and .net
    framework 3.0,sp2).

    In other words, all recompiles and "settling downs" *should* have occurred
    by that time.

    Before i uninstalled I checked the NGEN status -- it was on "manual" start
    -- through services.msc. Before that, I had also checked task manager and
    NGEN was not a running service.

    When i did uninstall via c:\windows\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe, i had a
    friend, a former Lenova Tech, on the phone in case I ran into an "Uh oh"
    situation.

    There were no "uh oh" situations. Spuninst.exe of ie8 gave me a nice
    progressive dialogue GUI of the uninstall and ended with 'restart
    required".

    When i removed the .net framework 3.0,sp2, it did not request a restart
    but i did so anyway to dump any memory residuals.

    With Paul's help in pointing to the IE8 spuinst.exe, all i can say is
    all's well that ends well.

    Totally BTW -- The tech guy also gave me a rundown on the ie versions
    shipped with XP -- i had an SP1 installation disk and it still had inet5,
    he said inet 6 shipped with install disks starting with sp2 release. The
    2003 sp2 CD i applied did not install IE6. Nor did the third party SP3
    which i applied two months or so ago update IE.

    jim

    jim, May 2, 2012
  10. jim

    glee Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message

    > Totally BTW -- The tech guy also gave me a rundown on the ie versions
    > shipped with XP -- i had an SP1 installation disk and it still had
    > inet5,
    > he said inet 6 shipped with install disks starting with sp2 release.
    > The
    > 2003 sp2 CD i applied did not install IE6. Nor did the third party
    > SP3
    > which i applied two months or so ago update IE.

    All I can say about this is you and/or your friend is mistaken. XP from
    its first version shipped with IE6, not IE5. IE5 was never even
    supported for XP and would not install on XP. SP2 added the pop-up
    blocker to IE6.
    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009